Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #1

Propane BBQ retrofit

Has anyone hooked their little Coleman bbq to the trailer LP source with a retrofit?

Id like to use the connection meant for my LP stove on the outdoor kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4D312F8-0584-4632-AE1A-F70218ADB960.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	219332   Click image for larger version

Name:	2947D2AB-B198-455D-A82A-FE1D83B47A01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	505.0 KB
ID:	219333  
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:18 AM   #2

I've hooked up my Coleman Road Trip XL (I believe that's the model) to the propane quick connect underneath my outdoor kitchen. It works great, and I like not having to carry around the 1lb throw-away tanks, even though I had been refilling them.

I followed a tutorial I found online somewhere, and bought the parts on Amazon to modify the existing propane plumbing on the grill. I had to disassemble the existing propane connection, remove the regulator, and reassemble it with the parts I bought. I saved everything in case I wanted to revert back to the 1 lb tanks, though I don't see any reason to do so.

I had to order these parts:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPYC9BC/

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKFD4PC/

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ/

I believe you can also buy a ready-made kit to convert your grill, but It was cheaper to do it the way I did at the time.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

be careful and do some more research. from your picture of the grill it looks like it has a regulator that also has a burner control know on it. to do what you are trying to do you need a grill without a regulator but a burner control of some type. that quick connect on the trailer has already been regulated down to low pressure propane. if you connect from it to the input side of your existing grill regulator / burner control you will have two regulators in series and that won't work. if you take you existing regulator / burner control off and connect the grill to the trailer quick connect you won't have any ability to control the burner levels.

we had this problem with our original coleman grill. we upgraded to a road trip grill which has separate burner controls, removed the regulator, and all works well connected to the trailer quick disconnect.

Tags
propane, bbq