Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just went with what the article said. Their claim of most economical was no doubt made based on how MOST people prefer their homes/RV's to be heated using a temp setback. Certainly turning off the heat is one choice.

I seriously doubt that most will be comfortable during the day in a house only 60 degrees, especially if just sitting around reading, watching TV, etc. I'm sure there are a few but I'm sure most prefer something a lot warmer.

As you said, it's a personal choice. I've visited homes and RV's where the temp is high enough to make one perspire and others that you make you wonder if they're chilling beer or hanging meat to age.

I just recently installed a Nest smart thermostat in my house (my Nat Gas Utility paid me a rebate to do so) and their "recommendation" is around 68 max and around 60 for the "Eco Temp" which is where the t-stat automatically drops to when it senses no activity in the house.

I'm sure they made those recommendations after a lot of research and studies of what MOST people felt is comfortable.

FWIW, when I was growing up "Room Temperature" was considered to be 72 degrees and that was where most people kept their thermostat's set. Wasn't until around the mid 1970's that people started setting their t-stats lower and that was only due to the sudden increase in energy costs.
Your comments mostly makes sense. However, since we’re talking about home residence, I also have a smart thermostat that the electric utility reimbursed me for. If, like I do, you run a ground source geothermal heat pump with three stage heat thermostat and electric resistive auxiliary and emergency heat, it is not economical to alter the temperature between night and day, or occupied and non occupied, unless you disable the resistive electric backup heat. It's just another case where “expert” universal recommendations do not actually apply to everyone and to all cases. We leave our thermostat at 64F day and night for winter, and find it very comfortable.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #42

We have had freezing temps every night for the last month. We use about 7 gallons a week, that's running the furnace, refrigerator and a blue flame heater.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #43

propane

we gobble it at an alarming rate and always run out at 2am. I suggest an electric space heater as a backup.
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
we have a 19' Surveyor with the arctic package. we are headed to phoenix this weekend and the first 2 nights on the road will be below freezing. this will be the first time we've used the furnace overnight. I was just trying to get a feeling for how much propane we'll consume each night, setting the 'stat at 65.

thanks

(I'll put a couple of gallons of antifreeze into both the gray and black tanks, and won't fill the fresh tank, or hook up to water at the campsites on the two sub-freezing nights so we shouldn't have any freezing issues.)
Get an electric heater that works on a thermostat. Don’t burn through all your propane when you are already paying for electric. An electric blanket might help too.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #45

Propane Use

Quote:
I should have mentioned that we will be connected to shore power all nights while on the road.

the camper has dual propane tanks.
Just put some water in your tank and turn the underbelly heater on overnight. If you have 25 or so gallons in the tank, it shouldn't freeze.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #46

we spent our first night in cold temps last night--25 degrees with 20 knot wind in west memphis.

I used a 1350 watt space heater that ran all night, and set the furnace for 65. it ran about every 5 minutes, with the flame on for about one minute per run. when we arrived at camp tonight, I took the propane tank off and very unscientifically determined that we might have used a gallon, probably less.

tonight (in Fort Worth) is supposed to be right at freezing with little or no wind. tomorrow night, in west Texas, should be above freezing so we can finally connect to water and turn on the water heater!

not to hijack my own thread, but I brought 2 space heaters with me, hoping that of the 3 outlets in the Surveyor there might be one on a different breaker than the others. not the case. I assume that is because FR doesn't want a dummy running 2 15 amp loads(not heaters, of course, in the summer!) then turn on the AC. when we get back home I will take out the power panel and see if I can replace one of the breakers with a duplex breaker (two very narrow breakers in a single-width form factor) and install another outlet right next to the power panel.

if that doesn't work out, I will drill a small hole in the "roof"of one of the front compartments, that ends up under the bed, and feed a 14ga extension cord into the cabin and plug the ext cord into the 20A outlet on the power pedestal that we normally don't use. then use the ext cord for the second electric heater.
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #47
Off the grid

If you look at it another way 30 pound cylinder at about 7 gallons will give you 90,000 BTU per gallon. Or 630,000. Divide that by the btu of your furnace and that will give you run time. So a 30,000 BTU furnace would run 21 hours on a full tank at a continuous state. Double that time with two tanks. Double that again for 50% run time. Hope that helps
Mrboverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #48
Retired Coastie

Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and go out and buy a small electric heater. It takes the edge off inside your trailer all night long and you won't burn up all your propane in a few nights.
mcsebald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrboverman View Post
If you look at it another way 30 pound cylinder at about 7 gallons will give you 90,000 BTU per gallon. Or 630,000. Divide that by the btu of your furnace and that will give you run time. So a 30,000 BTU furnace would run 21 hours on a full tank at a continuous state. Double that time with two tanks. Double that again for 50% run time. Hope that helps
Always love the math guy!

Let me add a couple of items. Get your unit the tank monitors.

These work great. My tanks are in a compartment. Not sure how well they work when exposed to extreme freeze.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74...W7F8NSYX31YEY8

2nd, since your plugged into shore power, besides a space heater, consider having a heat strip installed in your A/C unit. I had one installed. They take time to heat the trailer, but they blow warm air slower which I like instead of the high hear furnace blowing hot.

3rd, only leave one tank open at a time. It helps you monitor how long one tank takes you run through. When I boondock, my 2 - 30lb tanks last a week. The house batteries usually last 2 days without charging.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #50

Quote:
thanks for all the feedback.

as one poster noted, the reason I was thinking we should use the furnace is to keep the underbelly warm.

having said that, the nights I expect sub-freezing are the first 2 nights on the way out west. I will not de-winterize the water system until we arrive in phoenix, so I won't worry about water pipes freezing. the traps in the drains all have antifreeze in them, and I will put a couple of gallons of antifreeze in both waste tanks.
I'm not sure why you just don't let the furnace run both nights on propane. Worst case you burn one tank per night and spend $40 on propane. Why bother with electric heaters or being cold by keeping the heat down. I'm sure you worked hard to buy the trailer, use it and enjoy it don't scrimp. Enjoy your trip. I am in Galveston and headed back to AZ end of month. Will have that furnace running and keeping me warm each night.
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRnB View Post
18 of their 19' are now filled with all the crap we suggested and they are heavily in debt...all for two chilly nights.

Don't forget a half-dozen buddy heaters and a few electric blankets.
lol exactly. It's got a furnace and 2 tanks of propane and 2 chilly nights. Do the math lol $40 in propane vs paying for heaters etc? don't think so.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:13 PM   #52

No one has mentioned a heater I have used for about 5 years in a Popup Trailer then my Isata 3. It uses very little Propane and requires no electricity., I installed a T in the propane line to my stove top and ran a 12 foot hose with a Quick Disconnect that I keep rolled up under my fridge. When needed I pull it out and connect to my "Camco Olympian Wave 6 Catalytic Heater". It is pretty small and if you install the optional feet it sits securely on the floor or countertop and can be moved where needed. Makes no noise, has no fan and just glows with radiant heat. Has worked very well for me. Uses about 1 lb of propane every 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low. I usually keep it on Med. It said vented areas so I usually just crack a window an inch and never had a problem.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
No one has mentioned a heater I have used for about 5 years in a Popup Trailer then my Isata 3. It uses very little Propane and requires no electricity., I installed a T in the propane line to my stove top and ran a 12 foot hose with a Quick Disconnect that I keep rolled up under my fridge. When needed I pull it out and connect to my "Camco Olympian Wave 6 Catalytic Heater". It is pretty small and if you install the optional feet it sits securely on the floor or countertop and can be moved where needed. Makes no noise, has no fan and just glows with radiant heat. Has worked very well for me. Uses about 1 lb of propane every 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low. I usually keep it on Med. It said vented areas so I usually just crack a window an inch and never had a problem.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
You can use a propane heater indoors? I thought that was a no no.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #54

Quote:
we spent our first night in cold temps last night--25 degrees with 20 knot wind in west memphis.

I used a 1350 watt space heater that ran all night, and set the furnace for 65. it ran about every 5 minutes, with the flame on for about one minute per run. when we arrived at camp tonight, I took the propane tank off and very unscientifically determined that we might have used a gallon, probably less.

tonight (in Fort Worth) is supposed to be right at freezing with little or no wind. tomorrow night, in west Texas, should be above freezing so we can finally connect to water and turn on the water heater!

not to hijack my own thread, but I brought 2 space heaters with me, hoping that of the 3 outlets in the Surveyor there might be one on a different breaker than the others. not the case. I assume that is because FR doesn't want a dummy running 2 15 amp loads(not heaters, of course, in the summer!) then turn on the AC. when we get back home I will take out the power panel and see if I can replace one of the breakers with a duplex breaker (two very narrow breakers in a single-width form factor) and install another outlet right next to the power panel.

if that doesn't work out, I will drill a small hole in the "roof"of one of the front compartments, that ends up under the bed, and feed a 14ga extension cord into the cabin and plug the ext cord into the 20A outlet on the power pedestal that we normally don't use. then use the ext cord for the second electric heater.

West Texas is a big area my area will be in mid to low 20s next few night
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've been using propane catalytic heaters in R/Vs since the '70s.

Models made in the last 20 years have oxygen depletion sensors that make them safe but with a little common sense and a vent cracked (which you should do anyway) they are an economical way to supplement heat especially when boondocking with no power.

They do produce some additional moisture during combustion so keep that in mind.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #56

Backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhslh View Post
we gobble it at an alarming rate and always run out at 2am. I suggest an electric space heater as a backup.
We keep 6 30-lb. bottles by the big trailer. I've been known to swap bottles at 2am when we run out. It doesn't take any longer than dragging one of the oil-filled radiators in from the cabin.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #57

Two circuits

Quote:
Not sure about "surveyor", but many travel trailers have two circuits. One is protected by GFCI with outlets by the lavatory sink, kitchen sink, and outside. The other is not protected by GFCI and serves the outlets in dry areas. Often the breaker panel labels the former as GFCI and the latter as GENeral.

We have two oil-filled radiators, each of which can be set to consume 600, 900, or 1500 watts, or 5, 7.5, or 12.5 amps. When the furnace wasn't working, we found that we could set one at 900 watts and one at 1500 watts, plugging one into a GFCI outlet and one into a general outlet and not trip breakers. But in a 38 foot trailer, the heat was not very even. We much prefer to use the propane.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
West Texas is a big area my area will be in mid to low 20s next few night
Van Horn RV Park for tonight (Tuesday) to be exact.

I see this morning that the forecast low for tonight has been revised downward from 37 to 33. one more night without running water won't be an issue with SWMBO. then on to Mesa.
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #59

It gonna get above 60 in most the area you will most likely be ok. When I go camping in winter I rarely use city water just fill my freshwater tank. Safe travels
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #60

If it drops to freezing in Phoenix it will only be a couple hours at most.Winterizing seems a little extreme.Disconnecting water and you should be fine.
Wildcat Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane