Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Chris and Sara

propane gas switch over valve

Guys, on my 09 TT I have a valve that sits between the LP gas tanks. It has an arrow that points to one tank or the other. After using what I thought to be a lot of propane, I took the tank to the fill station today. It only took 3 gallons. I thought with the switch in place, it would only pull gas from whatever tank the arrow was pointing to, am I missing something here?

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

You probably didn't use as much propane as you thought you did. The real propane usage comes in cold weather when the furnance runs. Your right about the arrow pointing to the tank that is being used. Your other bottle is probably still full.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

There are some regulators that will automatically pull gas from the other tank if one goes empty. I believe that is what we have in our Cherokee TT. With this type you just aim the arrow down and turn both tanks on, that way it can pull gas from either tank, or you can aim the arrow to either tank, that way you can pull one tank out for refill while the other one still running.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Team

You have an auto swtichover regulator. You point the arrow at the cylinder you want to be the primary cylinder. The regulator draws propane fom that cylinder until it's empty then it automatically switches to the other cylinder. When the primary cylinder becomes empty the regulator also sets a red flag to let you know that the primary cylinder is empty. At that point you switch the arrow to the other cylinder and remove the empty one and have it filled.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You have an auto swtichover regulator. You point the arrow at the cylinder you want to be the primary cylinder. The regulator draws propane fom that cylinder until it's empty then it automatically switches to the other cylinder. When the primary cylinder becomes empty the regulator also sets a red flag to let you know that the primary cylinder is empty. At that point you switch the arrow to the other cylinder and remove the empty one and have it filled.
I thought the arrow pointing down toward the gas line that goes into the TT meant that gas will come from either tank. How does it automatically change over if the arrow is pointing to one tank? Bama, should the arrow always point at one of the tanks then.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

You're right, some regulators will draw from both cylinders if the arrow is pointed down. I don't recommend running this way simply because you're emptying both cylinders and when you run out you're completely out.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You're right, some regulators will draw from both cylinders if the arrow is pointed down. I don't recommend running this way simply because you're emptying both cylinders and when you run out you're completely out.
That makes sense. I'll run one tank at a time from now on. Thanks.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #8

Also dont open both valves that way you are sure you have a full one when the other runs out
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Chris and Sara

This makes sense, thanks guys!

2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #10

I have always only opened one valve when setting up camp and when I'm heading out, I close it. Are most other folks leaving the gas valves open at the tank all the time and relying on control knobs?
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Chris and Sara

I left both open until I read these responses!! I will open one from now on though, just to be safe. I'm not convinced my automatic valve is working correctly!

2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Site Team

I always leave both cylinder valves open. Yes, I've had a regulator leak but that's not common and I've made it a habit of checking the propane every couple of days.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharri770 View Post
I have always only opened one valve when setting up camp and when I'm heading out, I close it. Are most other folks leaving the gas valves open at the tank all the time and relying on control knobs?
So you don't keep your refigarator running while traveling?
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #14

When I am ready to leave for a trip, I turn both valves on. When I return, I look at the red/green indicator. If it is green, I close both valves. If it is red, I switch arrow to other tank, close both valves, remove empty tank and refill it. When I put it back on the trailer, I leave the valve closed.

Next trip, I go through the same procedure. I make several trips before having to replace a tank, so I never have to worry about running out.

Walt
wboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboudx View Post
When I am ready to leave for a trip, I turn both valves on. When I return, I look at the red/green indicator. If it is green, I close both valves. If it is red, I switch arrow to other tank, close both valves, remove empty tank and refill it. When I put it back on the trailer, I leave the valve closed.

Next trip, I go through the same procedure. I make several trips before having to replace a tank, so I never have to worry about running out.

Walt
We do the same. We figure, whats the point of having an autochangeover valve if you don't use it? And a couple of nights camping in the cold makes it all worthwhile!

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboudx View Post

Walt
Anyone has a picture of this red/green indicator? My indicator came apart so I don't know how it looked originally. For now, I just turn the knob to a tank which I think is filled.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
It's my vacation home.

I have been pointing the arrow to one of my tanks and turning the valve on on that tank only. I don't even touch the other tank until this one runs out.

As far as running with the gas on for the Refrigerator I do that as well. I hook up to power a day or two prior to leaving and get the fridge cold. Then we load it up with o items such as mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc. (Usually we wait until we get somewhere before we buy the bulk of our food.) Then when I hookup to the truck I turn on the gas and un-hook the power and pull out. Depending on where you are heading some states want you to turn off the tanks before you go through a tunnel. Some states even make you pull over at an inspection station. It is not much of an issue to pull over before you get to the tunnel and turn off the gas and then turn it back on when you get out.
workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcar View Post
So you don't keep your refigarator running while traveling?
I'm under the impression its running off of 12v power. Regardless though, I typically am not traveling more than an hour or two.
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharri770 View Post
I'm under the impression its running off of 12v power. Regardless though, I typically am not traveling more than an hour or two.
Most full sized campers do not have a 12 volt option. That is usually just for pop-ups and fold down campers.

If you have the fridge in the automatic mode, and the propane tanks on, most fridges will switch from 110 volts to the propane when you unplug the shore power.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote