Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Propane hook up for grill

So on my Surveyor Legend 202RBLE, there is a coupling by the rear tire if you remove the cover you can plug in an external line for a grill.
Question is how do you know what to look for. Sure would be nice to hook up external propane grill on a table with out the little "pony bottles".

ray
Ray1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

Ray,

depending on what grill you have to use there a plenty of options to use

https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Connect...613312&sr=8-10

here's one that attaches to "green" bottle style

remember your camper regulates the propane flow so you may get a reduced flow of gas by using this one as the bottle connection likley hooks to a regulator before to the grill burners

I used this after learning the propane flow ended up being reduced

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pro...613561&sr=8-15

I'm sure more educated campers will chime in and give you some advice
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

You can purchase almost any portable grill you want. they often have their own particular LP input fitting.
Then you purchase a standard propane flexible hose with quick connect fitting.. they are very similar to an air hose quick connect and have a valve on the outlet end. Then you purchase the correct adaptor to suit your particular grill choice.. You can often get a hose and adaptor as a package.

I love the Blackstone griddle's, I'm an Aussie living in Delaware, in Australia that is the most common type of Barb-Q we use... You can cook anything on a griddle..

I bought the 17" for our Surveyor 272FLS. I purchased 2 x 12 ft hoses and a 90deg angle adaptor to suit the Blackstone.. That way the hose goes straight down with little to no stress on the fitting. the 17" has a H shaped burner inside so the heat is very well spread. We can cook a feast on this small grill. (we have the 36" at home)

Blackstone link at Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Blackstone-...9614899&sr=8-1

This 12ft hose and adaptor I bought to suit my Blackstone grill. It will fit straight into your Gas fitting on your coach.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I later bought another 12ft hose as I realized 12 feet long was not always enough

All works great..

Have a look on Amazon you will see there are many grill options and most likely there is someone selling the appropriate adaptor for your grill choice.

Happy camping!
WoodytheAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1955 View Post
So on my Surveyor Legend 202RBLE, there is a coupling by the rear tire if you remove the cover you can plug in an external line for a grill.
Question is how do you know what to look for. Sure would be nice to hook up external propane grill on a table with out the little "pony bottles".

ray
Our r-pod has a similar port. Since it is a regulated port, we needed a hose that would connect to this port and to the grill, with no regulator in between. We looked all over, and couldn’t find the right combination of parts.

Finally, we went to our local bottled gas distributor. They fixed us up, replacing the quick connect on the RV and providing a hose.

There is very little standardization in these connections. Pick your grill, and the get the necessary connectors and hose.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

+1 on Woody's 90º angle and the Blackstone. We used this setup for our last 6-day dry camping adventure. I saved the regulator and stowed it in case we ever want to use the propane bottles.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

I bought this hose which connects to all of the camp chef grills and my portable fire pit.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodytheAussie View Post
You can purchase almost any portable grill you want. they often have their own particular LP input fitting.
Then you purchase a standard propane flexible hose with quick connect fitting.. they are very similar to an air hose quick connect and have a valve on the outlet end. Then you purchase the correct adaptor to suit your particular grill choice.. You can often get a hose and adaptor as a package.

I love the Blackstone griddle's, I'm an Aussie living in Delaware, in Australia that is the most common type of Barb-Q we use... You can cook anything on a griddle..

I bought the 17" for our Surveyor 272FLS. I purchased 2 x 12 ft hoses and a 90deg angle adaptor to suit the Blackstone.. That way the hose goes straight down with little to no stress on the fitting. the 17" has a H shaped burner inside so the heat is very well spread. We can cook a feast on this small grill. (we have the 36" at home)

Blackstone link at Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Blackstone-...9614899&sr=8-1

This 12ft hose and adaptor I bought to suit my Blackstone grill. It will fit straight into your Gas fitting on your coach.

I later bought another 12ft hose as I realized 12 feet long was not always enough

All works great..

Have a look on Amazon you will see there are many grill options and most likely there is someone selling the appropriate adaptor for your grill choice.

Happy camping!
This looks like a quality grill! Since the trailer is regulated, did you simply remove the regulator from the grill and, somehow, attach the hose to the grill? Or, per the picture on Amazon, does the angle fitting simply attach where the bottle would attach?
AirDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

We use the follow hose to connect directly to the RV line to attach to our Blackstone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

I have a Surveyor Legend 203RKLE with the same set up as yours. I ordered my hose from Amazon and make sure order one with the right connection and I would recommended 16 feet or longer. so you can put your portable grill where ever you like it. It sure beat the small bottle gas.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Propane in long hose

I have a similar hose connection as discussed here. My concern is when disconnect the hose from the RV all the propane remaining in the hose comes spraying out. It lasts about 2 2-3 seconds but it's a bit unnerving seeing and hearing the propane come spraying out. I turn off the main propane valve on the tank and check for open flames before I disconnect the hose but still it doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
I have a similar hose connection as discussed here. My concern is when disconnect the hose from the RV all the propane remaining in the hose comes spraying out. It lasts about 2 2-3 seconds but it's a bit unnerving seeing and hearing the propane come spraying out. I turn off the main propane valve on the tank and check for open flames before I disconnect the hose but still it doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?
Can you turn the gas off at the RV outlet?

If so, while the grill is still lit, turn off the gas at the RV, then let the grill burn off any excess gas. When the flame goes out, turn off the grill and disconnect the gas.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Can you turn the gas off at the RV outlet?

If so, while the grill is still lit, turn off the gas at the RV, then let the grill burn off any excess gas. When the flame goes out, turn off the grill and disconnect the gas.
Thanks! Yes, I can do that.
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, propane