Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
jsk

Propane Question?

I was getting no flow from my drivers side tank. The door side was good - the 2 stage regulator is on that side. I bought a pigtail from Tractor Supply and have not been able to find a red regulator. The new pigtail threads are smaller than the regulator. The regulator is 30psi. The local propane company had a bushing that would connect the pigtail to the regulator. I put it together and have flow now. My questions are: 1) Is this a safe permanent fix? 2) The guy at the propane store looked at both pigtails and blew air through them. The original had no flow and the new one had flow. When I got home I took the door side pigtail off and tried blowing air through it and got nothing. Are pigtails made for grills the same as those used in the RV industry? In the new pigtail I can not see the safety check valve like I can the original two. Thanks for any response.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
H2oski

Had the same problem on mine.

it sound likes it the over flow preventer in the top of the tank. Close the tank, leave it closed for a couple of minutes, then open tan very very slowly. If you hear gas flowing stop for a moment and then crack it open some more until the line fills with gas. then open all the way.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do a search with my user name and or search "propane fyi" I had a similar issue.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
jsk

I have swapped tanks and tried opening slowly and still get the same result. Even though it is working I am wondering is it correct and safe?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
I have swapped tanks and tried opening slowly and still get the same result. Even though it is working I am wondering is it correct and safe?
Not 100% sure but I think you should be ok with grill lines as they are "propane" hoses.
Most people don't know this but propane hoses ARE special hose.
There's actually holes in the outer liner for gasses to escape between layers.

Are you sure its a propane issue?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Team

First, grill pigtails and RV pigtails are not the same. RV pigtails have a check valve built into them and they also have a thermal shutoff. They are also built for higher flow than standard grill hoses. You really should replace them with the same type of pigtail.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
First, grill pigtails and RV pigtails are not the same. RV pigtails have a check valve built into them and they also have a thermal shutoff. They are also built for higher flow than standard grill hoses. You really should replace them with the same type of pigtail.

Thanks this was my speculation. I went to a dealer today and they did not know. I can not see the safety valve in the new hose I bought and maybe that was a hint. We did find the correct one on their catalog so it is on order. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I don't want to start a debate here but I dont believe this to be true at all.

Gas grills have a check valve as well .

Gas grill also have a thermal shut off .

just my two cents .
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
jsk

Now this is strange. I ordered a Camco 24" pigtail with male inverted flare. I hooked up and tested without problem. The auto changeover worked also. For what ever reason I disconnected the new hose from the tank. Propane was coming out of the hose and continued a few seconds and stopped. Could the ACME end of the hose be defective? This is something I have never experienced. Any thoughts? Anybody know where I could find a 24" pigtail with a male npt instead of an inverted flare?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

no gas from left side

I'm having the same problem. No gas from left side tank.I took the regulator out and with a 1/4 coupling in its place I have gas. The auto changeover and everything works. So I thought it must be the regulator ordered same 30 psi reg. put it in and stove burner works for 1min. I'm thinking it must be factory screwup.I'm in fl.so we do most cooking out side and rarely us the gas heat. We were in Tuscaloosa when we found out there was a problem.I guess I'll make some calls monday see if I can get some help from the factory.Rolltide1
rolltide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Old Enough to Know Better

This is an older thread but I thought I would comment.
Most RV LP systems are "low pressure" all of the appliances work at and require 11" water column pressure about (6.35 oz). The automatic change over regulator takes tank pressure (anywhere from 28 psi to 220 depending on temp) and first reduces it to 10psi in the changeover head (first stage) then the main regulator (second stage) reduces it to appliance pressure. By there function autochange overs ONLY allow gas from one tank at a time then the the "supply" tanks pressure drops below 10psi it will switch to the other full tank. The tank connection pigtails are usally supplied with a "excess flow check" in the tank end and as posted earlier if you open the valve too quickly it might close, if this happens close the valve and reopen it slowly. Some of the older POL connections had a restricted flow orifice in them and this was not an issue.
All new tanks of 40# capacity or less now have an OPD valve (overfill protection device) which is a float inside the tank that will not allow the tank to be filled past 80% capacity (legal limit) they also include a check valve that will not allow gas to flow unless there is something connected. All of the newer ACME style pigtails have a thermal fuse built into them that will melt in a fire and hopefully shut off gas flow.
If I can help on any other Propane questions let me know.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote