Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Propane Regulator Failure

I have propane coming out of the red/green know on the regulator. I don't know much about trailers so forgive me if I ask alot of questions. Back to the regulator, do I need to have an rv place to install a new one or can I do this myself? And how do I know which one to buy
Rhondafears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #2

If there is propane leaking from around the valve that switches tanks I would assume it is faulty. One of F.R's gas valve manufacturers has a recall on one of their valves which has caused a shortage in the industry. Finding a gas valve in stock is very difficult. Take a picture of the gas valve you have and check with a propane supplier for a replacement, they most likely will install it for you. If your trailer is new then you can try and submit for a warranty on the valve, although there is no documentation on the valve that came with my trailer so I don't know what the warranty time is.
Chewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT.../dp/B08XYH5H6Q

It doesn't get much easier than that. Just be aware you use yellow teflon tape for natural gas/propane connections, not white tape. And you want to leak check with:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gas-Lea.../dp/B0006JLSMO

Here is the Teflon tape, but you can also get it locally at Home Depot or Lowes, as well as the gas leak detecting liquid:

https://www.amazon.com/Sealant-Propa.../dp/B075WD63MT
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

Regulator question

Hello Navy,
Thank you for posting the regulator, I've been looking and guess I gave up! One question I have not been able to get an answer on is apparently there are different flow rates on regulators because of the size of trailer. Can you replace a regulator for a 19' trailer with one for a 36' trailer?
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
Hello Navy,
Thank you for posting the regulator, I've been looking and guess I gave up! One question I have not been able to get an answer on is apparently there are different flow rates on regulators because of the size of trailer. Can you replace a regulator for a 19' trailer with one for a 36' trailer?
Thanks!
It's not the length of the trailer that matters, it is the BTU capacity. You need to add up the BTU rating of each gas appliance and the regulator needs to be rated at or above the total. The regulator from Amazon is rated for 190000 BTUs. Look up the model number of your old regulator and see what BTU rating it was.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

Regulator

Thank you again!!
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
D W

Quote:
If there is propane leaking from around the valve that switches tanks I would assume it is faulty. One of F.R's gas valve manufacturers has a recall on one of their valves which has caused a shortage in the industry. Finding a gas valve in stock is very difficult. Take a picture of the gas valve you have and check with a propane supplier for a replacement, they most likely will install it for you. If your trailer is new then you can try and submit for a warranty on the valve, although there is no documentation on the valve that came with my trailer so I don't know what the warranty time is.
Not just Forest River. My son has a Keystone Product and he received a recall notice on the propane regulator valve. When my son followed up on the recall notice he was told that at the present time there are no replacements currently available, and they could not provide an availability date. Not an issue at this time of the year, though.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #8

Take the regator off. It will have a model and brand on it somewhere. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, call a mobile tech.
If you get the same model, replacement is a cinch. Otherwise, you might need to adjust lines and fittings. RV regulators are fairly standard.
Teflon tape is exactly the same no matter what color it is. The only difference is the thickness. If you already have standard white tape, just use a few more wraps.
After you replace the regulator, just squirt the connections with a dish soap solution. No need to buy detectors, special.solutions, and the like unless you just want to spend money on items you will rarely use.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #9

If you really want to do it 110% correctly, forget the tape altogether and use:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...3631/100201204

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	266389

Personally, I would not mess around with propane connections. Yellow Teflon tape is not just thicker it is also denser. White Teflon tape is single density, yellow Teflon tape is double density. In many jurisdictions it is against code to use white Teflon tape on gas pipes. The question is - do you really want to take a chance with propane just to avoid a trip to the hardware store or to save either $2.50 on Teflon tape or $8 if you chose the pipe sealant?

My trailer has the propane regulator recall on it. I was considering waiting and see if the dealer/manufacturer could take care of it under warranty in a few months, but I am leaning more towards doing it myself with the FlameKing Regulator. I'll use the thread sealant above if I do mine.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello Navy,
Thanks!
Keep in mind that when you size a auto changeover regulator the primary (tank selected) provides more BTU flow then the secondary this is normally not a problem but something to consider if the regulator you select has just enough BTU flow for your rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #11

For example, on my trailer:
Stove/Oven: 15,100 BTU (Furrion 3 burner stove, tiny oven)
Water Heater (Suburban 6 gallon): 12,000 BTU
Suburban Furnace: 30,000 BTU
Norcold Refrigerator: 1,500 BTU
Outdoor Grill: 12,000 BTU.

So if everything was running at the same time, I'm looking at about 71,000 BTU maximum. Therefore, the 190,000 BTU regulator would be more than sufficient.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #12

Many thanks to all for your responses.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #13

My replacement regulator with pigtails is supposed to be here Thursday, but I am waiting for dry weather to install it! I'm going to send a letter with the receipt to the manufacturer and hope I get re-imbursed. A dealer has already gotten authorization from the manufacturer to do it under the recall, but the manufacturer has no date for when they will be getting replacement regulators.