Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Question Propane regulator gauge..on backwards?!

I purchased a new SalemLAT22FBLA that I used this past summer. Other than a few "minor" problems that have been addressed/fixed, the one thing that bothers me is the propane regulator gauge faces towards the trailer and is really awkward to read!!! I have back/neck problems and when I crank myself over the propane tanks to "read" the gauge..my back and neck start to "act-up!" and I'm afraid of putting my back out. I just recently sent my trailer to my RV dealer and asked them to turn the regulator gauge so that it faces the front of the hitch(away from the trailer) and would be so much easier to read. They said that it was installed to "spec." and that they would have to charge me to turn it around!! I want to know if any of you RV'ers have the same problem?
RVDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Site Team

A picture would be worth a thousand words here.
Some regulators have a tapped hole in both sides.
One side has a gauge and the other will have a plug.
It's simple to swap them IF THAT's WHAT you have.

Take a close up photo of your regulator and post it here
so we can see it!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #3

From the description it sounds like yours is the same as mine. The gauge is useless as is. I gave some thought to turning it around, but it was too much work. I installed an aftermarket gauge that attaches to each tank to get my readings.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #4

I have thought of doing the same thing. I can't believe that it was installed like that....they must have eyes in the back of their heads!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #5

The gauge is the one that shows when you are getting low on one tank and when to switch over to the other tank. I'll try and get a photo to you.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Team

If you have dual tanks it should be a non-issue to just turn it around. Pics will help us instruct you on the easiest way to do it.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Team

On re-reading this thread I wonder if the gauge he's talking
about is just the red/green window in the regulator??
I've never seen an LP tank with a real gauge except larger
ones on fork trucks. They have a mechanical float gauge on them.
You can't really tell if an LP tank is full or MT by pressure gauge.
So I'm curious what RVDEB is really talking about
Like I said, a photo would tell a lot.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #8

If it's your normal auto-switchover type of regulator (red/green indicator) like on most modern trailers, I would just disconnect it from the two propane tanks, unscrew the wing-nut and flip the regulator around. Re-install the wing-nut and reconnect the tanks. They will now connect to the opposite tank, but who cares ??

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Villa Estate 392FLFB

im thinking its the tank switching indicator. thats a simple fix.

undo both tanks, rotate 180 degrees, hook up both tanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
I tut I taw a puddi tat

I have the exact same problem in my brand new 2011 TT. There is a large white plastic shroud over the entire LP system sitting on the tongue in front of the TT. Shroud has a port on top that I can flip open. I can then reach in and open the LP tank valve(s). And I can see the BACK of the regulator, which was installed facing towards the TT instead of towards the clown who is looking down into the porthole to see what color the regulator indicator turns after he opens the tank valve(s). Impossible to see because regulator was installed backwards; so I have to jiggle the tight fitting shroud off the entire system and then I can bend my arthritic neck and see the the indicator color from behind.

I took my TT to my dealer just last week and they changed the regulator because it was busted anyway (no pressure flowing on one side) so I asked them if they could please install the new regulator facing the front! They tried to and discovered that because I had two batteries and two tanks the holding racks had to be placed in such a way that the only way everything would fit under the tight-fitting shroud (necessary for rain cover) was with the regulator facing the wrong way.

So I'm having to live with wrong-way-reggie but my plot is to cut out a viewhole in the the back of the rain shroud, use some velcro to hold the cutout piece in and foget about it...
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #11

Scribe, could you mount a small mirror inside the shroud so you can see the colors on the indicators?
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
I tut I taw a puddi tat

To Fonzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Scribe, could you mount a small mirror inside the shroud so you can see the colors on the indicators?
Hmm...sounds like a great idea. Tomorrow I'm gonna go and see if there might be enough space between the regulator and the back wall of the shroud to fit a mirror...if so, I'll be off to the dollar store (not the DollarShip) to find a mirror...or maybe I'll steal the one my grand-daughter's doll is gripping in her pudgy plastic paw...she can't see anyway...
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote