Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Propane setting for cold nights.

It's getting cold in Ontario these days. We are seasonal camper in a Cardinal 5th Wheel. My question is which is best ? a Set furnace thermostat at say 15c overnight then turn up to 21c in the morning, OR b leave furnace off all night (temps getting down to 8-10c) and then turn on furnace when we wake up and set it at 21c..... this way it's only on once but runs longer. Also which way would be more economical ?
reknaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #2

This is not going to answer your question, but what we do: we have a Dyson Pure Cool/Heat electric space heater, place at the front of our MH, and leave it running overnight set at 21C. The heat reaches the bed room. In addition we have an electric mattress heater set only use during 0-10C nights.
This arrangement keeps us warm at night and saves on propane. We are currently camping 50Km east of Gatineau, Qc.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

We usually don't get that cold but, we do get below freezing in Jan - Feb. We just turn everything off at night then fire up furnace and electric heater(s) in the morning. I agree with mlafleur, save your propane & use electric (unless you pay extra for electric).

I've been known to delay my morning shower until the shampoo thaws out!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

We camp frequently in below freezing temps at night, but in our area it gets above freezing not long after the sun comes up.
When at hookups we run electic heaters on thermostats overnight. Then we set the propane RV heater to a low setting like 50. Then when the electric can't maintain the temp, the propane kicks on occasionally which also warms the underbelly and keeps the water lines from freezing. Also keep cabinet/cubby doors open where there are water pipes to let the warmer air in.
When not at hookups, we just set the propane to the lowest setting to keep the pipes from freezing overnight.
This system has worked for us for years. It doesn't use as much propane as you would think.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

Right now I'm camping off grid near Mt Rainier and nights are cold. Furnace is set for 55 at night and I use an unzipped sleeping bag as a top blanket.

When getting up the furnace heats the TT up to comfy in no time at sll. Heat from cooking breakfast helps speed the process.

During cold months I leave home with two 30# tanks filled and two 20# spares. Takes a really cold, freezing trip where I have to break out the spares in less than a week.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Depends on your tolerance for cold. I routinely go down to 15.5 deg c in my house while sleeping, but any coolerer than that and my old lady complains her face is cold.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Depends on your tolerance for cold. I routinely go down to 15.5 deg c in my house while sleeping, but any coolerer than that and my old lady complains her face is cold.
My late wife preferred a bedroom temp more suitable for cooling beer and/or hanging beef.

Window wide open year round and when I looked over at her all I could see was the tip of her nose.

I learned to adapt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We camp frequently in below freezing temps at night, but in our area it gets above freezing not long after the sun comes up.
When at hookups we run electic heaters on thermostats overnight. Then we set the propane RV heater to a low setting like 50. Then when the electric can't maintain the temp, the propane kicks on occasionally which also warms the underbelly and keeps the water lines from freezing. Also keep cabinet/cubby doors open where there are water pipes to let the warmer air in.
When not at hookups, we just set the propane to the lowest setting to keep the pipes from freezing overnight.
This system has worked for us for years. It doesn't use as much propane as you would think.
This pretty much what we do while camping in Northern New Mexico. This last trip, we had a number of nights well below 30° F and kept our propane use to a minimum (only used one 20-lb bottle over 7 days by using a small space heater and the RV furnace). It does work!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2 it doesn’t use as much battery as I expected either.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Another adventure awaits!

We turn our furnace off overnight, unless it's going below 5 - 8 degrees ... turn FP on in the morning to take off the chill ... thankfully hubby gets up before me ... lol
We are seasonal just north of Huntsville
Old 10-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #11

Great for sleeping ...

Condolences on passing of your wife ...
Old 10-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We turn our furnace off overnight, unless it's going below 5 - 8 degrees ... turn FP on in the morning to take off the chill ... thankfully hubby gets up before me ... lol
We are seasonal just north of Huntsville
BTW ... we are in Canada so 5 - 8 is in Celsius not Fahrenheit... about 41 - 50 Fahrenheit
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reknaw View Post
It's getting cold in Ontario these days. We are seasonal camper in a Cardinal 5th Wheel. My question is which is best ? a Set furnace thermostat at say 15c overnight then turn up to 21c in the morning, OR b leave furnace off all night (temps getting down to 8-10c) and then turn on furnace when we wake up and set it at 21c..... this way it's only on once but runs longer. Also which way would be more economical ?
I would go with option “a” personally. I want the propane furnace to blow some warm air into the underbelly overnight to keep the pipes from getting too cold. You could replace the thermostat with a battery-operated home thermostat that allows you to program it to maintain 15C overnight and start warming up the trailer at some point in the morning before you normally get up.

We supplement the propane furnace with 2 electric ceramic heaters. Our electric fireplace in the living room is useless at heating our trailer that has large opposing slides. If we’re on a 30 amp site, we turn off the electric water heater element when we’re using the electric heaters.

I recommend running a small fan at low speed in the bedroom overnight in cold weather to keep the inside air moving and reduce condensation.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #14

We use electric oil filled radiator type heaters at night. They keep the fifth wheel comfortable. We then turn on the propane furnace in the morning to bring the temperature up to a comfortable temp for breakfast. The oil filled heaters are quiet at night. The RV furnace wakes me up every time it kicks on.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...3?athbdg=L1200
Just an example of what's available.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #15

Alberta camper here, snow in July where we camp happens. We set the furnace to 15c overnight. We never have hookups, so all battery and propane. Have camped down to -12C and had nights with 2-3’ of snow on occasion. Layers and multiple blankets required.

250w solar keeps the two group 31 12v batteries topped up through stays as long as 2 weeks, just need to clear snow when it happens.
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster View Post
Alberta camper here, snow in July where we camp happens. We set the furnace to 15c overnight. We never have hookups, so all battery and propane. Have camped down to -12C and had nights with 2-3’ of snow on occasion. Layers and multiple blankets required.

250w solar keeps the two group 31 12v batteries topped up through stays as long as 2 weeks, just need to clear snow when it happens.
Very nice!

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reknaw View Post
We keep our TT on a lake about 90 minutes south of International Falls, and we've already experienced 4°C! We use an electric blanket overnight and turn the furnace on to take the chill off in the morning. Here's hubby with the dogs warming him up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob with dogs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	264434  
NancyLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #18

As already said by ATIT, I'm concerned in really cold weather that the pipes stay above freezing.

If the temps are below freezing:
When not in bed I supplement with electric heat to be comfy if it gets above freezing.
At night I just run off the propane furnace and a couple of quilts.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #19

How does everyone manage their water needs?
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
How does everyone manage their water needs?
In, or out?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane