Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Propane stove will not light

Hey all, I have been traveling full time for 3 months now and have never had a problem lighting the main burner on the stove to make sure the lines are purged for the refrigerator to run on propane while pulling my fifth wheel. I am now at a park and have been for 1 1/2 months. I took my tank to be filled not long after arriving to have when I leave. I've never turned the tank off before but did since I will be here for a total of 3 months. I turned the tank on to light the stove top to purge the lines to use the heater in the cool mornings here now. The stove top will not light using a grill lighter, I don't smell propane like I always have and stuck? From looking up the issue I'm finding that the lines may have air in them preventing the propane to the stove top. The regulator is only about 3 months old, all lines checked when the regulator was installed for leaks so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue. I also tried turning the tank valve on very slowly as I read that after sitting a while turning it on too fast could knock it off. I also tapped the regulator in case it was stuck. Any help would be great as to get it fixed so I can start using my heat! Thanks in advance for any help.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

When you say tank you have more than one correct? What I would do is shut off both bottles assuming you have two undue the pig tails and then reinstall them and slowly open the valves on both bottles. Check to see that regulator is assigned to one bottle or the other. Then I would attempt to lite the stove and verify that there is flow of air or propane to the burner. You might also turn the electric side of the water heater off and run some hot water to cool the tank and then turn it on to propane to help purge the lines. If there is no flow of propane after trying this I would suspect the new regulator.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
When you say tank you have more than one correct? What I would do is shut off both bottles assuming you have two undue the pig tails and then reinstall them and slowly open the valves on both bottles. Check to see that regulator is assigned to one bottle or the other. Then I would attempt to lite the stove and verify that there is flow of air or propane to the burner. You might also turn the electric side of the water heater off and run some hot water to cool the tank and then turn it on to propane to help purge the lines. If there is no flow of propane after trying this I would suspect the new regulator.
I have 2 bottles (1 is empty) and the other is showing full using a guage. I had it filled when first getting to the park I'm at and haven't used it until now and has been turned off. I'm not using propane for the hot water heater because of being hooked to 50 amp. I'm using a 2 valve regulator that is only around 3 months old turned to the full tank bottle. When I light the stove top to purge the lines only one rear will light and burns a very small flame. It seems like there is not enough flow by the very low flame on one burner. I normally only use propane to run the refrigerator while traveling but wanting to fire the heater up.

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

If you have done the other checks try shifting the regulator to the other bottle and see if the flow improves if not I would suspect the regulator even tho it is new. The reason for shifting the water heater to propane is to get a better purge however after turning the electric side off you will need to run some water to cool the heater down so it will call for propane.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
If you have done the other checks try shifting the regulator to the other bottle and see if the flow improves if not I would suspect the regulator even tho it is new. The reason for shifting the water heater to propane is to get a better purge however after turning the electric side off you will need to run some water to cool the heater down so it will call for propane.
I don't have a switch at the water heater to turn off, only one inside to turn it on or off. I have only ever used the water heater on electric but once at a park with 30 amp only I tried turning the hot water heater on using propane with the switch on from the inside and it never lit.

I'm going outside and remove the tank to make sure that it feels full. Like I said, it was filled, left turned off until now. If it's full then like you said and I've already looked for one replace the regulator and see if that's the issue.

Sorry, I'm not thinking straight with this issue bugging me. I do have an on / off switch at the hot water heater. I've never had a reason to turn it off. I just pulled the tank and it doesn't feel full. I'm going to have it totally filled and see if it's the problem. If not a regulator. Thanks for your help.

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

If you know you don't have a kink in the line somewhere, there could be dirt or a bug between the tank valve and the regulator blocking the flow. If not, replace the regulator, I had one go bad after less than 3 months. There is a remote chance that the valve on the propane cylinder is bad but I haven't seen it. However, for what they cost, regulators are cheap and easy to replace, I always have a spare for a good reason.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
If you know you don't have a kink in the line somewhere, there could be dirt or a bug between the tank valve and the regulator blocking the flow. If not, replace the regulator, I had one go bad after less than 3 months. There is a remote chance that the valve on the propane cylinder is bad but I haven't seen it. However, for what they cost, regulators are cheap and easy to replace, I always have a spare for a good reason.
It's never given me an issue at all lighting a burner and using it mainly for keeping the fridge cold while traveling. I just pulled the tank that was filled, closed and not needed until now and it doesn't seem full or possibly empty for some odd reason being full and closed off. I'm going now to have it weighed and filled. If that isn't the issue I'm going to replace the regulator although it's only 3 months old it could be bad. Thanks for your help.

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

I think you have empty tanks. By the way...if your electric isn't metered and on a separate charge, I would be getting a good ceramic electric heater, or something similar to heat with, and save my propane.
Doesn't your cardinal have an electric fireplace?

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #9

Have the tank checked and reinstall with both on that way should one empty the other will provide propane in a seamless fashion. If you are plugged into power and don't want to turn the electric side off on the water you can actually run both propane and electric by running your hot water until it cools then turning on the propane switch and both will be heating water. I do this when more then one person is showering for a faster recovery. good luck.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

My regulator does not provide full flow when switching over. It will light burners but cannot run the furnace and water heater at the same time. Since you cannot even light the burner and just swapped the tank I would check the pigtails that connect to the regulator. These sometimes fail new and can cause problems. My pigtails failed post PDI in 1 week with a leak and the other went bad after 6mo.

I found this was the issue by swapping tanks from side to side and then even swapped the the pigtails to see if it was the regulator or the pigtails. I also had a faulty regulator after a year and a half.

Hope that helps you. Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
My regulator does not provide full flow when switching over. It will light burners but cannot run the furnace and water heater at the same time. Since you cannot even light the burner and just swapped the tank I would check the pigtails that connect to the regulator. These sometimes fail new and can cause problems. My pigtails failed post PDI in 1 week with a leak and the other went bad after 6mo.

I found this was the issue by swapping tanks from side to side and then even swapped the the pigtails to see if it was the regulator or the pigtails. I also had a faulty regulator after a year and a half.

Hope that helps you. Good luck!
Thanks, The issue is the regulator. I went and made sure that the tank was full and it did take a few more pounds. I installed it and the duel regulator is reading red. I've tried tapping it but no go. I just got off the phone from where I bought it a little over 3 months ago and they're sending me a new one Monday.

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I think you have empty tanks. By the way...if your electric isn't metered and on a separate charge, I would be getting a good ceramic electric heater, or something similar to heat with, and save my propane.
Doesn't your cardinal have an electric fireplace?
I always have used a low voltage ceramic heater in the living and bedroom when at a park that supplies the electric. Where I am now I'm staying another month and headed to Florida and they do charge monthly for the electric. I've never used the propane for heat but need to until I leave here in the mornings. The problem is the regulator and where I bought it is sending me a new one Monday. I keep the water heater on electric. Thanks

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Have the tank checked and reinstall with both on that way should one empty the other will provide propane in a seamless fashion. If you are plugged into power and don't want to turn the electric side off on the water you can actually run both propane and electric by running your hot water until it cools then turning on the propane switch and both will be heating water. I do this when more then one person is showering for a faster recovery. good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm by myself so using the hot water heater on electric isn't an issue as it doesn't use much. I just need propane for the cool mornings now until I leave in a month.

Retirement life........
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I always have used a low voltage ceramic heater in the living and bedroom when at a park that supplies the electric. Where I am now I'm staying another month and headed to Florida and they do charge monthly for the electric. I've never used the propane for heat but need to until I leave here in the mornings. The problem is the regulator and where I bought it is sending me a new one Monday. I keep the water heater on electric. Thanks
And no, My Cardinal doesn't have a fireplace.

Retirement life........
Old 10-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #15

Propane Issue Fixed

Thanks to everyone that replied about my propane issue. I received a new exact replacement regulator free of charge today, installed it and after screwing on a new main tank line the indicator went immediately to green. The stove now fires up fine and time to get the heat going on the next cool morning. Now to buy an extra when needed.

Retirement life........

Tags
light, propane