Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Propane supply to potable BBQ grill other than a 1 LB tank

From a 20# portable tank, a proper 6' delivery hose connected to our Magma grill's regulator and no output from the regulator. Why? A couple of times the system worked fine, but only twice. A new regulator at the grill, replaced the 20# tank, its valve is working fine, same problem persists. I've tried the slow opening of the tank valve and no gas from the grills supply regulator. Maybe I'm not opening the valve correctly, what is slow? I crack the tanks valve just a bit, wait a few seconds then very slowly open the tanks valve. A second supply hose purchased and no resolution, the problem persists. The supply hose has been drained of gas then re-connected, the supply problem continues. Depressing the schrader valve at the delivery end of the supply hose and there is plenty of gas available. A 1# portable tank works fine with the same valve. Can someone please help with answers and hopefully a solution.
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

On the 6ft hose on the end that screw to the 20# tank there is a plastic spacer if it is broken or missing it doesn't allow the connection to push the valves in on the 20# tank in far enough to let the gas pressure into the 6ft. hose. I had the same issue and home depot exchanged the hose and good to go again.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

Hi Mud Yapster,
Many thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. Both of my supply hoses are, from 2 different sources. One screws onto the exterior threads the other to the interior threads. Either supply hose when connected to the 20# tank will supply quite a bit of gas to the hose output end verified by depressing the schrader valve at the delivery end. That said I will indeed check the hose to tank connection for any signs of damage to the spacer. On 2 occasions both supply hoses worked fine when first used, there after no gas from the BBQ's valve. Just a guess, the hose to tank connection spacer is fine, but for sure will be further considered. Totally a guess on my part is the supply regulator. Is there a difference in how the regulator functions when connected to a 1# bottle vs. a 20# tank? Help!
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

No the regulator's job is just to regulate the gas pressure but they go bad also. My 6' extension hose went south on me after the 4th use. That dang spacer cracked and fell out. I think the plastic spacer is a bad design but I got to looking and all of them even on the grill at home have one. Good luck with it. Nothing worse than no super cause of grill issues. I have the Weber Q and we like it a lot and it cooks great but does get to hot if we don't keep an eye on it.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #5

My experience is that the regulator on the BBQ should function equally well with the 1 lb. tank and the supply hose from your 20 lb. tank. I run my BBQ off either one.

Are you opening and closing the 20 lb. tank valve for each use?? That tank valve can stick shut if closed too firmly. It will need a good wrap on the side to open up at times. Although that would seem to not be the case in your situation cause you indicate that you have good gas flow from the hose when the valve is manually depressed. A mystery for sure ----
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Your end probe, about 1/2 inch long on the grill regulator is not penetrating deep enough to open the hose supply. Do you have some kind of adaptor on the end of the supply hose?
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Retired Techie

Safety feature

Found out the hard way if you turn on a 20# tank with the burners on or hose open (could be the same effect with long hose) something reduces the flow to almost nothing. Don't know if that would be a safety feature of the 20# tank or the regulator. You have to shut everything off and relieve the pressure to reset. Swapped out a half full 20# because of this once, not again.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
mikejm

Right under my propane storage, underneath the 5th wheel(2014 Columbus 320RS) the main gas line as a plug that when removed allowed me to place an elbow fitting an 8 in straight pipe with quick disconnect attached to the end, when assembled comes almost to the side edge of the fifth wheel. I then purchased a 6 ft piece of rubber hose with one end for quick release and the other end a fitting that screws on to my grill. Regulator for fifth wheel regulates gas to grill no carrying of spare tank for grill. Gas line sits no lower than permanent 5th wheel gas line and does not extend pass edge of trailer. Took me about 45 minutes to complete entire task. Place a table with the grill right by gas connection. No problems. Hope this might help.
mikejm
mikejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejm View Post
Right under my propane storage, underneath the 5th wheel(2014 Columbus 320RS) the main gas line as a plug that when removed allowed me to place an elbow fitting an 8 in straight pipe with quick disconnect attached to the end, when assembled comes almost to the side edge of the fifth wheel. I then purchased a 6 ft piece of rubber hose with one end for quick release and the other end a fitting that screws on to my grill. Regulator for fifth wheel regulates gas to grill no carrying of spare tank for grill. Gas line sits no lower than permanent 5th wheel gas line and does not extend pass edge of trailer. Took me about 45 minutes to complete entire task. Place a table with the grill right by gas connection. No problems. Hope this might help.
mikejm
The connection you are talking about is after the tanks pressure regulator. Many grills have a regulator at the grill so you need a high pressure line to hook to. The grill won't work if you go thru two low pressure regulators, the gas pressure drops too low. If there is no regulator at the grill then what you are describing would work.

The OP says his regulator is at the grill so this won't help him.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #10

I had that problem early on. Changed hoses like others have indicated. Recently went and just got rid of the grills regulator and plumbed it into the quick connect lp on the TT. If you do this, pay particular attention to the male pigtail you buy. There has to be a counterbore to the end of it like the Camco quick connect plug for low pressure lp. The Mr. Heater one, is flush and won't work.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, propane, tank