Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Propane tank gauges?

Does anyone have a recommendation on gauges for the propane tanks on your camper? Its driving me crazy not knowing how much LP I have left.
DeanHensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

Propane tank gauges?

So I have these and they work great. I’m not using it with their display just thru the phone app. Note: buy the halo’s to put on the tanks rather than the spacers cause spacers will fall off when you go to fill the tanks. Also, after installing the first time wait until an hour has passed before checking to see if they work. Once you move the tank, the propane needs to be perfectly still to get a good reading. Frustrated the hell out of me the first day, came back the next and everything AP Products 024-1000 LP Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74..._izCZEbCMDC9M5

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #3

Real Tank Gauge reads weight.

Several years ago a group of UNC Charlotte Engineering students designed an built the ultimate propane gauge. It measured tank weight. Computed not only level but usage, and Time to empty.

Tank had to be free standing so was not applicable for most tank applications. Really did work nice tho. Accurate.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
So I have these and they work great. I’m not using it with their display just thru the phone app. Note: buy the halo’s to put on the tanks rather than the spacers cause spacers will fall off when you go to fill the tanks. Also, after installing the first time wait until an hour has passed before checking to see if they work. Once you move the tank, the propane needs to be perfectly still to get a good reading. Frustrated the hell out of me the first day, came back the next and everything AP Products 024-1000 LP Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74..._izCZEbCMDC9M5
I have these.. they do work pretty good. You do need to swap batteries on these once a year and reapply some grease to the sensor...I always forget to check the tanks before putting into storage so I end up using the old fashioned pick up and shake method.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
WFD

At first I always wanted to know how much propane we had left. With time I discovered that we hardly ever go through more than our 2 tanks per season. What I do , and I learned this from others on the forum here, is I only ever have 1 tank turned on, that way I know when it runs out. Then after switching over to the other tank I know that I have ample time to get the empty one filled.
I also picked up a couple of the magnetic strips from Amazon that read propane levels, they are only a few bucks. Stick that on your tank, pour hot water over the strip and it will change colour where your propane level is at. These are quite accurate and good enough for my need to know how much propane is left in the tank.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better

These are available for 20 and 30 pound bottles. Contact your local LP dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPD-20-GAUGE.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	230004  
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

I have 4 20-lb tanks. 2 on the trailer, one on the grill in the back yard and one full one in the garage. I use about 1 1/4 tanks on the trailer through a season. Every time I turn the propane on or off, I just look at the color window on my tank selector. Green means the tank the selector is pointing at has propane.

When the indicator goes red, that tank is empty. Then I switch the selector to the other tank and replace the empty with the full spare from the garage.

Refill the empty tank, and the next one to go empty is usually the backyard grill.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I have 4 20-lb tanks. 2 on the trailer, one on the grill in the back yard and one full one in the garage. I use about 1 1/4 tanks on the trailer through a season. Every time I turn the propane on or off, I just look at the color window on my tank selector. Green means the tank the selector is pointing at has propane.

When the indicator goes red, that tank is empty. Then I switch the selector to the other tank and replace the empty with the full spare from the garage.

Refill the empty tank, and the next one to go empty is usually the backyard grill.
Works for me too. No BBQ but carry two spares that I could use on generator if necessary.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
What I do , and I learned this from others on the forum here, is I only ever have 1 tank turned on, that way I know when it runs out. Then after switching over to the other tank I know that I have ample time to get the empty one filled.
X2

And we don't have to spend any $$$ on a gauge.

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
dotsonjc

Propane hose with guage

Just ordered these as I'm having to replace my regulator. While I only open one tank at a time, I've never had an issue; however, if camping in colder weather an using furnace I don't want to run out in the middle of the night either.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZYN93...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Past:
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 22DSX
dotsonjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
What I do , and I learned this from others on the forum here, is I only ever have 1 tank turned on, that way I know when it runs out. Then after switching over to the other tank I know that I have ample time to get the empty one filled.
That’s why I have two tanks, certainly not because I think I will use more than one tank on one trip. I just want to know that, when I run out, I have a spare and lots of time to replace the empty.

I get that people who use propane far faster than I do and who camp well away from a source of replacement tanks would want to know their exact status at all times.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #12
clr

The best solution that I have found for your problem. Is the Truma gas level detector, the link to this item is as follows: https://www.truma.com/int/en/product...evelcheck.html.

No more guessing about the LP level or worry. This detector work very well and is very acurate.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHensler View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on gauges for the propane tanks on your camper? Its driving me crazy not knowing how much LP I have left.
Do you have only one tank? If so, do you have room (and the weight-carrying capacity) for two? If you have or can carry two, just get an auto-changeover regulator and check it regularly. Unless camping in deep winter, it's unlikely you'll run out of propane in the second tank before you have a chance to refill the empty tank, after it switches over.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #14
Long time camper.

I have 2 30 lb tanks with a switch over regulator. I fill them once a season at Tractor Supply. They sell be the gallon, so I don’t worry about how much is left over.
I did a 12,000 mile trip to Alaska. DW was cold most of the time, ran the furnace a lot, water heater and the fridge if we weren’t plugged in. Left KY with both full, filled one in AK the second on got refilled in KY, it was only 1/2 full.
Harbor Freight has a gauge for a few bucks. Never felt the need to put one on.

Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #15

Gauge placement

Basic question from newbie...my NoBo 19.6 has a single 20# tank. I want to install a gauge, but not sure whether it belongs between the tank and the regulator, or downstream from regulator.
carlpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpete View Post
Basic question from newbie...my NoBo 19.6 has a single 20# tank. I want to install a gauge, but not sure whether it belongs between the tank and the regulator, or downstream from regulator.
Between tank and regulator.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank