Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Propane tank not empty, fridge flashing to check gas

Hello all!! Noob here...

So we took our TT out for the first time this past weekend, 2019 FR Salem FSX 179DBK, and I had the fridge running on propane. All seemed fine, we left the site for a bit and came back to cold drinks. We left the site again and when we returned the fridge was flashing to check the gas. The tank feels to me to be at least 1/2 full. Any ideas why it would stop working with gas in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
michaelking1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Does your stove, furnace or water heater work on gas?
Easiest check is for good strong flames at the stove.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Team

X2 what Ken&Terry said. Turn on a stove burner when it happens and if the flame is good and strong then the problem isn't with the LP.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm wondering what you are thinking when you say "the fridge was flashing to check the gas"?

Tell us the model of your refrigerator.
A fridge flashing "LP" could mean it simply didn't light at some point and went into lock-out mode. It not lighting could be many different things.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm wondering what you are thinking when you say "the fridge was flashing to check the gas"?

Tell us the model of your refrigerator.
A fridge flashing "LP" could mean it simply didn't light at some point and went into lock-out mode. It not lighting could be many different things.
I've had this exact same issue over the years and the cure was to merely turn the refrigerator off, count to ten, then turn back on. Usually after I've had the gas system shut down and switched from electricity to gas. However one time during a nasty wind storm that probably kept the burner from lighting off.

Doesn't happen often, often with a couple or more years between incidents so I haven't worried much about as long as it restarts immediately after I reset.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #6

Try turning off and on to see if that resolves it. If not...then you may want to check for a wasps nest by the burner...
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelking1014 View Post
Hello all!! Noob here...

So we took our TT out for the first time this past weekend, 2019 FR Salem FSX 179DBK, and I had the fridge running on propane. All seemed fine, we left the site for a bit and came back to cold drinks. We left the site again and when we returned the fridge was flashing to check the gas. The tank feels to me to be at least 1/2 full. Any ideas why it would stop working with gas in the tank?

Are you using a rental tank or your own tank purchased with the trailer? The only issue I had with a three way fridge was when I had a "bad" tank (a rental) apparently the safety mechanisms in the newer tanks can cause issues with the flow of gas from them, as suggested earlier try turning your fridge from gas to electric and then back again to see if this fixes the issue. Next step would be to disconnect the tank and check the connections then reconnect and restart the fridge. If it keeps having issues try a different tank, this was what I needed to do to fix my issue, I have only used my own tank since then, and had no more issues.

Good Luck,
Old 03-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #8

Just hit check button should go off mine does
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

This happens to me all the time when we first head out after being in storage where I store with tanks shut off. Simple cure. Follow this process:
1) Turn on tanks
2) Use a small fire starter propane click starter to manually light one of the stove burners. There will be air in the lines at first so it may take a few seconds before it lights.
3) Once lit, turn on light all the other burners.
4) After you see normal flame, usually just a few seconds, turn off all the burners.
5) Turn the refrigerator to off, what a second, turn back on and set to auto or gas.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

Regulator

I also had a problem with the fridge trying to light multiple times and then locking out. Turns out my regulator was leaking and either was not putting out the correct pressure or letting air in the system. Soapy water check on regulator confirmed a slow leak. Changed the regulator and all was good.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelking1014 View Post
Hello all!! Noob here...

So we took our TT out for the first time this past weekend, 2019 FR Salem FSX 179DBK, and I had the fridge running on propane. All seemed fine, we left the site for a bit and came back to cold drinks. We left the site again and when we returned the fridge was flashing to check the gas. The tank32 feels to me to be at least 1/2 full. Any ideas why it would stop working with gas in the tank?

I had the same problem and it was due to the burner exhaust tube being clogged
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Try turning off and on to see if that resolves it. If not...then you may want to check for a wasps nest by the burner...
I have a Salem CruiseLite and have had the same problem from time to time. I agree with turning the fridge off and on again. It might help to fire up the stove first and get the air out of the propane lines and then turn the fridge on.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #13

3 days later and no response
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

Speaking of LP tanks, I had this problem just last weekend. I carry a spare bottle just to use for my grill and griddle. Each time I would light the grill the flame would come on and then go out for no reason. I tried the Blackstone and the same thing happened. I took one of the bottles off of the TT and all worked well. I took the suspect bottle to my local LP gas bottle fill place, explained what happened and the guy just grinned stating "a very common problem. He weighed my bottle and told me that it was approximately 3/4 full and that the date on it was February '18. He attached a device to my tank, turned the bottle on and gas came out for about two seconds then shut down. He turned the bottle off, waited about a minute or so then turned the bottle valve on. Same thing, gas came on for about two seconds then shut off. Then--he picked up the bottle about four inches and slammed it down on to the concrete four times, straight down hard. He then turned the bottle on and the gas came out as it should. He shut the bottle off, attached some type of burner he had, turned the bottle back on and the burner worked just fine. He told me he sees this often and that it was a problem with some valve attached to the fill valve inside the tank. He recommended that I continue to use the bottle until I used all of the gas within it then take it to a local place that would exchange the bottle out. Strange things in this world.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
3 days later and no response
1st time poster may have solved the problem and hasn't bothered to come back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, fridge, gas, propane, tank