Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Propane Tank Primer

All, I found this well-written piece on LP tanks this morning while researching the best way to carry my 3rd 20# tank for my Big Buddy heater when boondocking. Thought I'd share...
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
I would like to jump in here on this subject as I see a lot of misinformation being thrown around. As someone who has been filling propane tanks for about 14 years at the small service station I work at, a 20# tank holds 20# of propane. Likewise, a 30 holds 30, a 40 holds 40 and a 100 holds 100. (Propane weighs slightly over 4# per gallon, not the 3# to 7 or 8#, I have seen mentioned). This idea that the tank should not be filled beyond 80% capacity, while correct, probably came about with the older, non OPD/dip tube equipped tanks, where it would be very easy to overfill the tank if one is not paying attention to what they are doing. They didn't have the OPD to shut off the flow when the tank reached full, thus preventing an inadvertent overfill. The current valves have a float attached them that rises with the liquid propane level and shuts it off, not unlike the valve in your toilet tank. They also have a dip tube that sticks down inside of the tank and is attached to the bleeder screw, that should be opened anytime the tank is being filled. When the liquid level in the tank reaches this tube, it is forced up it and vents through the bleeder screw, thus signaling the tank is full, in case the OPD valve didn't shut off. At this point, there is still an open area above the liquid level in the tank to allow for expansion and gassing off of the liquid. Next time you are in a hardware store look at the replacement OPD valves and you will see how they are constructed.

The smaller tanks, up through the 40# are under a different set of rules and governing body than the larger tanks, such as the 100# tanks, which is why you don't see OPD's on the 100# tanks. Also, certain tanks, like for forklifts and other horizontally mounted tanks (even those used in some campers) while they may be filled standing upright, don't have the OPD.

You will find that the permanently mounted tanks in motor homes, usually have an OPD and bleeder valve installed, even the older models that were built before this became the standard for all tanks. You may also see a sticker attached near the bleeder screw that says, in effect, "when liquid appears, stop filling the tank".
If you are having your tanks filled at a place that only fills them to 80% capacity, i.e., 16# in a 20# tank, you are getting ripped off. When these tanks are filled correctly, you will have a full 20# and still have that "20%" expansion area above the liquid. Note also, that all of the tank valves are equipped with a safety valve that will open and allow propane to vent in case of internal tank pressure exceeding a set amount, very similar to the safety valve mounted on water heaters.

Note also, that any of the tanks you get at the propane exchange places are normally only being filled to 15# (used to be 17#). You may be paying for 20# but only getting 3/4 of that. Note that the net weight of the propane is listed as 15#, that's what you just bought. Search for online comments/complaints about this, quite a few out there.

The use of the OPD valves became mandatory as of April 1, 2002.

For more info, do a quick search on line, it will yield a lot more on this subject. I would only trust comments from propane sources, however, such as:

Propane Cylinder and LPG Bottle Information
Propane Bottle and LP Gas Cylinder Filling
Overfill Protection Devices for propane tanks now the law
OPD - Overfilling Protection Device - OK LP Gas Research, Marketing and Safety Commission
MoonStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

I carry two 30lb tanks on camper and I carry two extra 20lb tanks, I grill out a lot. Plus I sometime run out of gas on the 30lb tank, I hope that will be a thing of the past since I have installed the LP sensors on the tanks. On my 30lb tanks, on one tank is a 48in hose and the other hose is 15ft. The 15ft hose is for when I hookup to a 100gal tank at home
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I carry two 30lb tanks on camper and I carry two extra 20lb tanks, I grill out a lot. Plus I sometime run out of gas on the 30lb tank, I hope that will be a thing of the past since I have installed the LP sensors on the tanks. On my 30lb tanks, on one tank is a 48in hose and the other hose is 15ft. The 15ft hose is for when I hookup to a 100gal tank at home
Spock123, I've thought about getting a propane tank monitor, but the one I've seen a lot of positive feedback on, Tank Check 024-1000 Dual Propane Level Sensing System w/ Monitor & Bluetooth Technology, can monitor only two tanks.

Is this the monitor you are using? If not, which would did you get to monitor more than two tanks? If so, do you move a sensor between tanks?

We are full time and I have two 30lb tanks in the trailer and one 40lb tank that I bought to keep from feeling like I need to rush to refilling the tanks when one gets empty.

Thanks,

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
2016 Ford F350 SuperCrew Platinum 6.7L PSD Dually
TxJnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJnJ View Post
Spock123, I've thought about getting a propane tank monitor, but the one I've seen a lot of positive feedback on, Tank Check 024-1000 Dual Propane Level Sensing System w/ Monitor & Bluetooth Technology, can monitor only two tanks.

Is this the monitor you are using? If not, which would did you get to monitor more than two tanks? If so, do you move a sensor between tanks?

We are full time and I have two 30lb tanks in the trailer and one 40lb tank that I bought to keep from feeling like I need to rush to refilling the tanks when one gets empty.

Thanks,

Jim
You can download an app that reads those (I haven't done that yet) and read up to 15 sensors............just buy extra sensors.
From the website:

You are not limited to just your RV with this system, you can purchase additional sensors for your BBQ, patio heater or anything else using a propane tank. You can name the sensors anything you like, for instance, bbq, RV left, RV right, etc. Works with all size metal propane tanks, verticle and horizontal, except the small 1 lb disposable tanks. The app can read up to 15 sensors. up to 150 feet away in open areas, 50 feet if using in RV's and buildings.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStomper View Post
This idea that the tank should not be filled beyond 80% capacity, while correct, probably came about with the older, non OPD/dip tube equipped tanks, where it would be very easy to overfill the tank if one is not paying attention to what they are doing.
For the most part, all of this is correct. The cylinders are supposed to be filled to 80% of the water capacity of the cylinder though. It's explained in this older thread, with links.

That's the point that gets confused is 80% of water capacity vs 80% of propane capacity.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post292346

and here in the same thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post292370

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

I downloaded the apps and it can handle three that I know of. I plan on keeping one on two twenty lb tanks. I am going to order two of the tank feet, they are $24 bucks apiece. I looked at them on this thread. I plan to install them on the 30lb tanks. The sensors work great and they tell me what percent is left in the tanks. All I have to do is walk by the tanks and they work great. I can check the apps later
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #7

Thank you. Very informative.

----------
Ram2500
FR 251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You can download an app that reads those (I haven't done that yet) and read up to 15 sensors............just buy extra sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I downloaded the apps and it can handle three that I know of.
Ok, it sounds like I can monitor 3 tanks with a smartphone app. Now I'll need to put it in our budget for upgrades, since we just purchased a 10 sensor TPMS for the dually and trailer.

Thanks for the help. This forum has been the friendliest, most helpful forum I've ever participated on.

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
2016 Ford F350 SuperCrew Platinum 6.7L PSD Dually
TxJnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

I have them and they work great. I have 6 of them on one app. I marked each tank 1 through 6 and marked each sensor the same.
Only issues that I have had is I have already replaced the battery in most of them and only started using them in September of 16. Another issue is don't let them get wet. I changed out a tank on night and set it aside and forgot about it and it was out in the rain ford two days. Does not work now.
Another thing us the rubber feet that hold the tank up so that it is not sitting on the sensor do not stay on. I made a rack to hold them up off the groundClick image for larger version

Name:	image_Message_1489783595231.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	132358
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank