Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

propane tank regulators

do I need the single stage regulator ano tank on driver side when there is a dual stage regulator and change over on the passenger side tank ?
goofeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, if the cross-over line is rubber.
DOT regs say the line needs to be at lower than tank pressure. (regulator is usually set at 30 psi and usually red colored)

And welcome to the forum! I see it is your 1st post!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

The crossover hose should be rated at 300psi which is the same as all the pigtail and regulator hoses.
Sounds like you are having problems with those little red regulators?
After replacing three, I just removed mine completely, along with the little check valve fittings at the end of each pigtail, which also failed constantly. Just used straight through fittings. Been running that way for about 6 years. No more problems.
Both of these 'improvements' were added about 10 years ago when the laws were changed.
Can't suggest you remove these safety devices, but those of us that have, no longer have to mess with them
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Scott, just wondering since you've removed the check valves... what happens when one tank empties and the switch-over occurs?
Doesn't the empty tank partially fill from the full tank since the check is no longer in place?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Scott, just wondering since you've removed the check valves... what happens when one tank empties and the switch-over occurs?
Doesn't the empty tank partially fill from the full tank since the check is no longer in place?
Not that I have noticed. I believe the regulator itself prevents that. Also, when I remove one tank, while the other is open, there is no gas escape from the open one, so again, I assume the regulator valves take care of that.
These safety items were added about 10 years ago. Before that, fivers did not come with either.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not that I have noticed. I believe the regulator itself prevents that. Also, when I remove one tank, while the other is open, there is no gas escape from the open one, so again, I assume the regulator valves take care of that.
These safety items were added about 10 years ago. Before that, fivers did not come with either.
Thanks Scott,

I've not been able to find any documentation (and I've done a LOT of searching) that the cross-over regulator handles the checking of cross flow between tanks but you saying removing empty tank does not allow gas to escape is good enough for me.

I'm slightly more curious today than I was a week or so ago when one of my checks stuck and I removed it and took the guts out. I had concerns the full tank would partially fill the empty tank now that the check has been modified.

I mean... what else would those checks do or be there for?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Scott,

I've not been able to find any documentation (and I've done a LOT of searching) that the cross-over regulator handles the checking of cross flow between tanks but you saying removing empty tank does not allow gas to escape is good enough for me.

I'm slightly more curious today than I was a week or so ago when one of my checks stuck and I removed it and took the guts out. I had concerns the full tank would partially fill the empty tank now that the check has been modified.

I mean... what else would those checks do or be there for?

The regulator only prevents flow when the handle is moved and now points to the now active tank. The check valves are there to prevent leakage if one forgets to move the handle.

I don't worry about the check valves leaking as when I remove an empty tank (when I do remove it) I hook the hose to one of my spare 20# tanks using a 5' extension hose with gauge on it. I usually just leave the 30 # tanks on the tongue and refill when I am towing and pass by an easy place to refill. If camped in one spot for any length of time I merely use the 20# tanks and run to town when they are empty. Always try to keep one of the 30" tanks to handle the load when the other tank runs empty and when I hook up a fresh tank I switch the handle back so it runs off my portable tank,

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The regulator only prevents flow when the handle is moved and now points to the now active tank. The check valves are there to prevent leakage if one forgets to move the handle.

I don't worry about the check valves leaking as when I remove an empty tank (when I do remove it) I hook the hose to one of my spare 20# tanks using a 5' extension hose with gauge on it. I usually just leave the 30 # tanks on the tongue and refill when I am towing and pass by an easy place to refill. If camped in one spot for any length of time I merely use the 20# tanks and run to town when they are empty. Always try to keep one of the 30" tanks to handle the load when the other tank runs empty and when I hook up a fresh tank I switch the handle back so it runs off my portable tank,
So if I read that correctly, when one tank empties and auto switches to the full tank, WITHOUT the check valve, the full tank would begin to fill the empty tank.

If you happened to be there when the cross over occurred and swapped the regulator handle, it wouldn't do so.

Kinda defeats the auto part.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
So if I read that correctly, when one tank empties and auto switches to the full tank, WITHOUT the check valve, the full tank would begin to fill the empty tank.

If you happened to be there when the cross over occurred and swapped the regulator handle, it wouldn't do so.

Kinda defeats the auto part.
The issue isn't while the hoses are connected, it's when they are removed. This is why the instructions say to switch the handle so it points to the full tank and shut off tank valve BEFORE disconnecting hose. Any "back flow" would be very little once the regulator switches.

The check valves are there for those who forget to follow the instructions.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The issue isn't while the hoses are connected, it's when they are removed. This is why the instructions say to switch the handle so it points to the full tank and shut off tank valve BEFORE disconnecting hose. Any "back flow" would be very little once the regulator switches.

The check valves are there for those who forget to follow the instructions.
Thanks Mike.

I just know when filling 1 Lb. bottles with a hose connected between it and the other tank, the empty 1 Lb. bottle will actually get quite a bit of LP in it before any purging needs done to actually 'fill' it.

I simply thought that same process might carry over between the two tanks (one empty/one full) connected via the switch-over regulator since it is basically wide open between the two (without the check in place) until you flip the lever.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:

I simply thought that same process might carry over between the two tanks (one empty/one full) connected via the switch-over regulator since it is basically wide open between the two (without the check in place) until you flip the lever.
Just remember though, when the tank went empty the internal mechanism switched tanks. At no time is the pressure in the syatem equal in the connecting hoses unless both tanks are full or empty. When the tank in use reaches empty it triggers the mechanism which switches and that's all for that tank. There might be some leakage but not enough drain one and fill the other.

Another note, when a regulator is knob is not switched, the max output of the regulator is significantly reduced. Might be an issue with smaller regulators when the Furnace, Refrigerator, Oven, all burners, Outside Kitchen (if you have one), Water Heater, and outside BBQ are all running at once

2004 Nissan Titan

Tags
propane, tank