Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #41
Blessed old folks

We have a Geo Pro too, sorry for your loss!! Agreed with run a cable through and over and under meeting at tongue, using a righteous padlock. Making sure you get both tanks. You can even do inside and outside the black covering?? Thinking about it myself!! Two separate cables and locks.
Zhairdzinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #42
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
Kreptom locking devices cables ect you won't cut them in 20 seconds

What is a Kreptom device?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jdad View Post
As our Geo Pro over wintered in a fenced in storage facility, within 3 weeks someone stole both propane tanks and regulator. Took me some time to get over my anger, but the fact of the matter is they are gone and I'm replacing them. What are your best options for locking them up? Also, I'm open to any DIY devices that spray permanent ink on any potential thief...

Thanks in advance
I use a serious, heavy duty bike cable threaded through both tanks and around trailer hardware, then a very secure key lock holding it together. It won't stop someone with 4 ft bolt cutters, but there's no way they're getting them with 2 footers. With enough time and if they weren't worried about noise and sparks, a battery powered grinder with a cutoff wheel will defeat any lock eventually.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky310 View Post
I drilled a hole big enough for a lock to be installed on my tank hold down.
It won't stop someone determined enough but it'll certainly slow them down..
I'll attach a picture.
Yes I did the same thing
bondo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #45

Quote:
As our Geo Pro over wintered in a fenced in storage facility, within 3 weeks someone stole both propane tanks and regulator. Took me some time to get over my anger, but the fact of the matter is they are gone and I'm replacing them. What are your best options for locking them up? Also, I'm open to any DIY devices that spray permanent ink on any potential thief...

Thanks in advance
You would probably get sued installing something like that. The lawyer fees alone would buy you a new trailer.

If a thief wants anything bad enough, it’s gone. Use a good metal cable and good pad lock to secure them to trailer.

Best prevention is to take tanks off and store them at home or inside trailer. Fill them up, and install them before leaving.

Good luck
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #46

Reminds me of several years ago when I bought an expensive road bicycle and would ride it to college, thief was attempted within the first week but they couldn't get through the heavy cable lock I had purchased. The lock was a little more than double the cost of the cheaper one but I learned a valuable lesson when this happened. A gentleman next to mine had one of the cheaper cables cut but he also had a U lock installed also and that proved successful at their attempts. I also went out and purchased a u lock to complement my heavy cable lock and moved the bike to another entrance. The original entrance was located on a very busy downtown entrance in a large city so it can happen even where there are many cars/pedestrians. Deterrence can go a long way but my 5er is parked next to my barn with motion detectors and S&W as a backup with an owner who's not afraid of using it.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
The name of the game is to make 'em move to the next rig without items locked up, it being too much trouble to steal your stuff.
For those of you who don't want to watch the video, here's the cartoon version . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Far Side Bear.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	224391  
Old 03-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #48
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
What is a Kreptom device?
I believe the poster is referring to Kryptonite “U” locks.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #49

Wow! Ignorance is bliss! i have never had anything stolen while camping, or traveling, or storing, or having units displayed for sale. Knock on Wood!
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
Full tank stolen from my RV parked in my driveway, empty tank left behind. $75 out of pocket for a new tank. Chained and padlocked the tanks to the frame and 2 months later the chain is cut and full tank stolen again. Purchased this: https://www.torklift.com/rv/fortress-gaslock No problems since.

I have the same Torklift lock and haven’t had any problems yet.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
Full tank stolen from my RV parked in my driveway, empty tank left behind. $75 out of pocket for a new tank. Chained and padlocked the tanks to the frame and 2 months later the chain is cut and full tank stolen again. Purchased this: https://www.torklift.com/rv/fortress-gaslock No problems since.
Should have taken the tank to an exchange place. I do that with my out of date tanks.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo1954 View Post
Should have taken the tank to an exchange place. I do that with my out of date tanks.
Many full service propane dealers will recertify a 20lb tank for no charge with a fill. You also get a full tank vs a partial tank for a premium price.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #53

Possibly using a cable with a lock would work.
Tim Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
if it makes you feel better im sure its not a fellow camper and prob some meth cooker
or a homeless person keeping the tent warm
Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many full service propane dealers will recertify a 20lb tank for no charge with a fill. You also get a full tank vs a partial tank for a premium price.
The big dealers around here don't fill them. The places that do want 10 to 15 dollars to do a recetifacation. If it's a tank with old style valve exchange is a good way to get rid of it.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #56

I did heavy chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
Great idea!
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #57
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Good thing propane tanks aren’t take a loan out to buy one expensive. Be happy they didn’t just take the entire thing. Hopefully they were full and they threw their back out while carrying them.

Here’s the reality no one wants to hear... You could buy the most bestist, expensive lock money can buy, the lock that’s more gooder than any lock made, and I guarantee I can have that lock off with my cordless angle grinder faster than you can have it off with the key.

I can have that lock off, from in the middle of a crowded RV park, at night, so fast that the noise would easily be mistaken as just someones air brakes bleeding off.

The jerks didn’t even leave you a receipt huh? That’s cold, at least if they left you a receipt you could of wrote it off on your taxes as a charitable donation.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #58

Granted all a lock will do is keep a honest person honest. But by using one it will hopefully make the dishonest person look for an easier target.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #59
Ham Call N8SAC

I made a statement about them just stealing the trailer here . There have been three stolen in the last 6 months. Day before yesterday someone stole a boat that was sitting beside the road hooked to a car. The people had a flat and went to get it fixed when they came back their boat was gone. Someone’s going to be HIGH tonight.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #60

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Good thing propane tanks aren’t take a loan out to buy one expensive. Be happy they didn’t just take the entire thing. Hopefully they were full and they threw their back out while carrying them.

Here’s the reality no one wants to hear... You could buy the most bestist, expensive lock money can buy, the lock that’s more gooder than any lock made, and I guarantee I can have that lock off with my cordless angle grinder faster than you can have it off with the key.

I can have that lock off, from in the middle of a crowded RV park, at night, so fast that the noise would easily be mistaken as just someones air brakes bleeding off.

The jerks didn’t even leave you a receipt huh? That’s cold, at least if they left you a receipt you could of wrote it off on your taxes as a charitable donation.
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank