Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #21

Go with Maager, his son in law is right. If the FD wants to remove them they will cut the lock, chain or cable. Be sure the valves can be turned off.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #22

I bought a 6ft motorcycle cable/lock ran through the holes in top of tanks, and around frame. Just right length.
DR.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #23

This has always been my policy put a chain or cable on anything you don’t want walking off. I just try to keep a honest person from getting something. The only way you can stop a thief is have good insurance. LP tanks put them in the camper somewhere, out of sight out of mind.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #24

Another perspective.

I was told and it has not been confirmed that in the event of an RV fire, if the propane tanks are secured so that the fire department can not easily remove them, they will move to the next RV and let yours burn. I guess the theory is that the FD has a lot to do to put out the fire and can't take the extra minute or 2 to go get bolt cutters to remove your tank. I was also told and not confirmed that if your RV does burn due to locked tanks, insurance won't cover the damage. Both of these statements make a lot of sense to me, so whenever mine's in storage I remove the tanks and take them with me. Just my 2 cents worth.
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #25

If its a problem..why not take the tanks off and with you when you store it?. If they want the tanks bad enough...it would be wiser to let them have them than doing more damage to get them off if they are locked or chained to the apparatus? A lock only slows a thief down a bit and sets up for more damage...Is it really worth it???
milkinit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goferbroke View Post
I was told and it has not been confirmed that in the event of an RV fire, if the propane tanks are secured so that the fire department can not easily remove them, they will move to the next RV and let yours burn. I guess the theory is that the FD has a lot to do to put out the fire and can't take the extra minute or 2 to go get bolt cutters to remove your tank. I was also told and not confirmed that if your RV does burn due to locked tanks, insurance won't cover the damage. Both of these statements make a lot of sense to me, so whenever mine's in storage I remove the tanks and take them with me. Just my 2 cents worth.
I don't believe there is any truth to those things...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #27

If your RV ever catches fire you would be better off if it burns to the ground than just have damage.
Once a fire gets more than a couple of minutes in it is a goner. For sure past being recovered long before the fire dep't is on scene.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #28

I dont think so. Full tanks in a fire are a bomb. FD will remove if safe. If not all around it will burn as they won't risk more than needed for RVs that are un occupied. If they think someone is in one they will risk everything to get to them Lp or no Lp. I have a SS chain that go thru the cylinder handles and the lock it to the big wing nut and hold down that I drilled holes thru. FD can pop lock or chain quick but will slow down the crack heads.have saved my tanks once for sure. One morning found the cover in yard in front of the trailer, tanks still there. I chained tanks after someone decided they needed my battery more than me.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's not a good thing to lock down propane tanks where the fire department can't get to them. It would be better to just take them out of the RV when you leave it.
Then how do you account for permanently mounted Propane Tanks in most Class A Motor Homes?

That seems to contradict your idea, doesn't it?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Then how do you account for permanently mounted Propane Tanks in most Class A Motor Homes?

Pretty sure FD wouldn't try to remove tanks from a motor home. They would just let it burn.
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #31

X2 to Dr. B and use a 3/8 inch Gator cable and lock from Amazon. Only issue with locks, God forbid if you are involved in accident. When our rig got flipped by 18 wheeler, fire department cut all rod between the tank, check that they were turned off. Cut the battery cables and set battery off to the side near the removed tanks. No smoke or flames involved.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Not at all. Tanks in a motorhome are ASME certified vessels and are designed to withstand a lot more than the DOT cylinders on most towables. And even with that they aren't put behind a locked door so that the valve can be shut off. And also allows the FD to open the door and spray directly on the vessel if needed.

Also most posts are stating that if your RV is on fire that the FD doesn't have time to remove the cylinders, and that's true, but our policy when I was on the FD was to remove any cylinders nearby to prevent having to deal with them in case the fire spread.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Somehow I doubt that firefighters are going to walk up to a burning RV and try to remove the LP tanks (ie.- cylindric bombs)...

Most likely they will stand back to stay safe and douse the fire with water or whatever they think is best to put out an RV fire.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #34

I use a lock and chain under the cover preventing the wing nut from being turned.
vic1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
There’s only so much you can do, especially when you consider that a thief needs only one tool to steal whatever he wants that is in or on your RV.

Attachment 192439

Bruce
Yep, that is all that is needed with a cut off blade. Quick & easy way through a lock, bolt or cable.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc cruiser View Post
Yep, that is all that is needed with a cut off blade. Quick & easy way through a lock, bolt or cable.
Well that one might bind a lot, use the 60 volt DeWalt, it will quickly chew thru anything.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wouldn't it be great if somebody tried cutting through a locking system on the propane tanks and the sparks caused the whole thing to explode? Hahahaha! I saw the results of some scumbag trying to steal the copper grounding bars from a power substation. Ended up becoming part of the circuit very briefly until there was just a charred lump of crap on the ground.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #38

Yeah and the fire department removes the gas tank from a burning car.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
You would think they would have security cameras you could check. Later RJD
You'd think so.

Consider though that many people choose their storage facilities on the basis of rental fee. Cheaper the rent, the greater chance that the security measures will be minimal.

There may be a camera to monitor who comes and goes but how many monitoring the actual storage area. Even at that, if someone who has an RV in the lot gains access to the lot, who's to say they haven't gone shopping and helped themselves to "easy pickins".

Remove the tanks and batteries if you want to be 100% sure you have them when preparing for your next trip. Besides, you'll probably want to put the batteries on a charge maintainer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #40

I have a 5er and have been told several times that the lack of locks on the propane doors is the law. When I store, I take the batteries and tanks with me.
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane