Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #1

question about underbelly heating

This is my first trailer with ducted, under floor heating. With the enclosed underbelly, I understand that some heat goes into the enclosed space to help keep the piping down there from freezing. Is warm air actually vented into that space or is the fact that the ducts are down there supply enough heat. I haven't had to use the furnace yet but noticed that if I turn one of the ceiling vent fans on without any windows or door open, a fair amount of air is pulled out of the floor vents.
2013 F150 Ecoboost
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #2

I was wondering same thing when I got my new 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I loosened a panel to peak under bathroom area. Lots of ducts running through there, but didn't see any vents. As far as air coming out your vents with air on, its possible your just moving air between rooms through the vents.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

On our blue ridge if you went into the underbelly storage area there were actually vents that had heat coming out of them when the furnace was on. As far as in the areas where there was piping I believe that it relied on heat radiating off the furnace ductwork. The water connection and controls were all in the area that was actually heated by a vent from the heater. We went all winter and never froze the trailer. I did freeze my water hose one time and that was my fault.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I was wondering same thing when I got my new 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I loosened a panel to peak under bathroom area. Lots of ducts running through there, but didn't see any vents. As far as air coming out your vents with air on, its possible your just moving air between rooms through the vents.
There's definitely air coming out each of the vents so air is getting in somewhere. I just want to make sure there isn't an unwanted leak down there somewhere.
2013 F150 Ecoboost
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

Here was my problem - not much air flowed out the floor vents. As it turns out the metal "can" below the heater where the ducting attaches was not properly installed. It has fallen down and was about 2" below the floor. This allowed hot air to just flow under the trailer. I managed to lift the "can" to the proper height and fasten it securely . Then used silver tape to seal off any voids. The previous owner thought it was for heating the underside.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, underbelly