Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

Red Propane Regulator

Can someone tell me why I have a red single stage propane regulator on one side of my Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th wheel and not on the other? The other side has the automatic cross over switch, but no red regulator.

The red regulator says 18 PSI on it. The system pressure is like 11 PSI.

I think mine is busted since when the side with the switch ran out of propane (the other side confirmed full) the side with the red regulator will not provide pressure to run the appliances. The bottle is fine since when I switched it to the other side I got my furnace and fridge back.

I ordered a new red one (rated at 20 PSI since Marshal only makes a 10 and 20 version single stage) to replace the 18 PSI made in india POS.

I hope the switch is not the problem. (while not special order like the red one) it looks like a bear to swap out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Sounds very familiar Lou. I ran into the same issue this past week (I was trying to keep enough heat in the 5er to keep things from freezing for our 3 day freezout...round two started today). Anyway, I finally found the instructions on how to properly operate the auto switchover. I have not fully tested it yet, but I suspect I will very soon since I know the "supply" bottle is getting towards empty. In fact, I'll be checking it before I go to bed tonight. I'm hoping that's all that is wrong with mine...a non-understanding of how the auto-switchover works.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Do you have a red regulator on the driver side propane compartment?

The switchover regulator is in the passenger side propane compartment on mine. I did all the right things about SLOWLY CRACKING the bottle to fill the lines without tripping the leak preventer in the bottles and everything. It fills the lines just fine and I have good pressure for about 2 seconds before the flame in the stove starts to die; BUT ONLY when feeding from the red regulator side. The passenger side bottle feeds fine with both 30 pound bottles.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

It could very well be the tank...mine did the same thing this winter and it was the valve on top of the tank. I turned it upside down and gently tapped it..not beat..hooked it back up and it worked fine. On mine I could hear a hummming sound inside. Take the tank and move it to the passenger side and see if it does the same thing. If so it's the tank.
2010-33 nites
2011-41 nites and growing
2012-29 with more to come
kscr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Thank you for the response. In post #3 I stated that the mis-feeding bottle worked fine in the passenger side compartment. Neither bottle worked when connected in the driver side compartment.

Ordered a new red single stage 20 PSI (only size available - original marked 18 PSI) regulator and it will be in on Monday or Tuesday.

The Keys - go figure...

PS Still hope it is not the autoswitch.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Yes Lou, that's been my experience also. Hopefully I can see how it all works when I get home today. It got down to 24 or so last night. I had the temp set at 50 in the 5er, so it should have done a pretty good number on that "supply" tank. I have to find out soon because my one year warranty is up pretty quick.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

Lou,

Had this same problem last season. The red regulator is a high pressure reg that cuts line pressure down a bit before it runs through the 2-stage reg.

I first made sure that both tanks, both pigtails and passenger side 2-stage auto changeover reg were working properly first in the same manner you did. I concluded that it had to be the red HP reg, especially since it was hissing propane slightly from the vent hole. I ordered a replacement. After replacing with the new one the hissing stopped, but still no propane flow. Finally figured out that the problem was the internal check valve built into the end of the long crossover propane hose which runs from the output of the red HP reg to the input of the 2-stage reg in the passenger compartment. I gently pushed a small screw driver into the end of this line that makes connection with the 2-stage reg, felt a little resistance and then I could feel the valve break free. I could then confirm the spring force pressing against the valve as I pushed against it slightly. Reconnected everything, slowly turned on the driver side tank and bingo...propane flow at last. I confirmed the repair by cycling the tanks back and forth with the auto-changeover several times and worked perfectly.

Apparently, the stuck check valve is what caused the red HP reg to leak and damaged the internal diaphram. If I were you, I would confirm that your check valve is working properly before installing the new regulator. If the check valve is fine, then your red regulator is broken and needs to be replaced. If check valve is bad, replace it and hang on to the new HP reg as a spare.

Hope this helps!

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

You are why this forum rocks! Great tip.

There was water or oil in the crossover hose when I took off the red regulator so a rusted or crusted up check valve makes sense.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Amen to that Lou! I will be checking all my stuff...well, probably Sunday. I'll be at the Houston RV show tomorrow, and a camera class on Saturday. But I'm looking forward to some more concrete troubleshooting now!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

You are why this forum rocks! Great tip.

There was water or oil in the crossover hose when I took off the red regulator so a rusted or crusted up check valve makes sense.
Thanks Lou! Glad to help out.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also had the condensation/oil pooling in the crossover hose. When I went to the local RV supply store to purchase a new one, the sales tech mentioned that they have been seeing numerous cases of the internal check valves failing with these LP hoses. Almost like a design issue waiting to fail, only a matter of time. Perhaps the LP industry will catch on and make some improvements.

Kind regards,

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I still don't understand why there is a red single stage on the other side. Why not on both if the idea is to reduce line pressure to the switch?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I still don't understand why there is a red single stage on the other side. Why not on both if the idea is to reduce line pressure to the switch?
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it has something do to with the length of the crossover hose to get the driver side propane to the 2-stage reg on the passenger side...

I wonder if the back pressure caused from the red regulator prevents the safety valve inside the LP tank from prematurely tripping. When I say safety valve, I mean the built in device inside the tank that prevents an excessive amount of propane from escaping in an event such as a burst LP hose. Taking into consideration the length of that crossover hose and the volume of propane that flows out of that tank before pressure begins to rise as its regulated by the 2-stage, this just might be enough to activate the safety valve on that tank. The passenger side does not require this because the back pressure caused by the 2-stage reg is realized much sooner because of the short distant of the pigtail (much less volume of propane is released).

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I got no other ideas as to why it could be there. My theory is that after they rolled out the new LP tanks some years ago that have all the built in safey measures (OPD, acme nut, etc..) the red regulator may have been added to get around this premature tripping of the driver side LP tank safety valve.

Maybe someone else will chime in here to confirm my theory or educate me on this one too!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

UPDATE:

What a nightmare. Still no propane feed from left side.

Replaced bottle; pigtail to bottle (found clogged); and crossover hose.

Have good pressure to check valve in autoswitching regulator but nothing on the other side. The check valve will allow some pressure, but any real demand will cause a red bar. I suspect it is sticking in the closed position. It will open with compressed air but not with 20 PSI propane or air pressure.

Turns out the check valve is not part of the hose but part of the Fairview Fittings and Mfg Inc two stage switching regulator. The check valve is built in to a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT bushing. Try to find one of those!

My next step is to spray it out with silicone spray and try again.

If that does not work looks like a 50 dollar Marshall regulator is in my future.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River
Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Grape Escape

Red regulators seem to fail often. Mine did shortly after I bought my used Cardinal. Leaked out of tiny vent hole. Must be bad diaphrams in them all.
Code requires them due to propane line running from side to side
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Well, I'm still not sure about mine. I did remove the hose from the switchover regulator and messed with the check valve. I worked it open and shut a few times. Not sure if it was actually "stuck" or not. I hooked everything back up, and when my primary tank emptied, it did appear to switch over and start drawing gas from the other tank. I did not follow the procedures exactly again, so I'm not sure if I messed up a step. But when I filled the bottle and hooked it back up, everything quit working again. Kinda frustrating. I'll try again next fill. But that may be a while as I don't expect to run the furnace anymore for a long time.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

On my way to Spindrift RV in Cudjoe Key to replace the entire two stage regulator with a Marshal unit. Apparently Fairview Mfg has replaced this design with a whole different unit. Need new bushings and I am done (I hope!)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #17

Lou
You should be ashamed of yourself, being in the Keys enjoying all this warm weather. If you are in Key West, go to a place called the Schooner Bar, good food, music and drink. It is around to the right of Jackson Square. It is on the water. It is where all the locals hang out. My nephew is stationed at Trumbo Point. We go down every year to visit him.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Had dinner last night at the Hogfish Bar and Grill. Yummy.

We are dry camping on Sigsbee Key NE of Key West. Be here another week; then off to Tampa (MacDill AFB) for the Phillies Spring Training games.

Should be home by April - (life sucks ya know... )
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Finally repaired. What a mess.

Replaced pigtail to bottle. Contaminated with oil and debris most likely from a bad bottle of propane.

Red single stage regulator contaminated and leaking replaced temporarily with a coupler as none available in the keys. Will try again in Tampa.

Replaced autoswitching regulator; contaminated and only working on one side. Had to use a Marshal unit since the Fairview Mfg one is not carried around here by anyone. It is taller than the Fairview so I had to move it right and down a bit to clear the top of the compartment and the bottle.
Total cost about 60 bucks (so far; as the red regulator is only 13 bucks though) and a week of troubleshooting and worry.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Now a "Top Member"

Wow. Sounds like it might just be a good idea to replace it all. I did see "oily" stuff in my check valve coming off the one I looked at. Even if mine is not as bad as yours, it probably will be.
Retired AF MSgt