Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

Removing one propane tank

Hi, I pull a 2022 Geo pro 19 FBS with my V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My Max tongue weight should be 620 lb. And I'm quite a bit over. I've already swapped out the batteries for lithium, since they gave me a 12-volt Fridge, I need a lot less propane now.

I want to just remove one of the tanks. I think I'll only need one. I don't really want to do a lot of work or swap out the dual regulator. My question is, can I just remove one tank and keep the valve closed? I'll put a board or something in place where the old tank used to be. Is there a safety issue? Is there an issue with weight balance?

If there is an issue, I guess I could travel with two half full tanks but I still don't want the weight of the second tank.
Canuckdownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #2

Have you actually weighed your tongue weight? Or is the back of your vehicle just sagging more than you want.

If the propane tank is a 20# size then you'll only be removing <50#. You may really want that extra tank during cool weather.

I would suggest first evaluate your loading plan and see if weight can be shifted from forward storage areas to more rearward storage. Maybe even leave some things home that you really don't need.

If the actual tongue weight is as it's supposed to be, and it's just a matter of vehicle "rear sag", consider adjusting the Weight Distribution Hitch you are using one, right?) or adding some Air Shocks to the rear of the vehicle (Or Air Bag's etc).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #3

Its a Grand Cherokee and if its a 2011+ WK2 model there is no need to add anything to the suspension. Since you mentioned 6200lb towing weight that would indicate you have a 2014+ 3.6 Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package meaning you either have Nivomat rear load levelling shocks (so it's not going to sag) or the quadralift air suspension which levels everything out. Have you actually weighed the tonque weight?

I tow a 2021 Geo Pro 19BH with my 2014 5.7 Grand Cherokee with quadralift air suspension, My hitch weight is about 550lbs and thats with 2 full propane tanks, full fresh water and a single lithium battery.
ORA2
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #4

Where are you seeing a "max tougue weight" restriction? On the camper? Your tow vehicle?

Max tongue weight on tow vehicles usually has two ratings: Weight carrying and weight distributing -- using a weight distributing hitch (WDH). Weight carrying limit of 620 seems reasonable for your vehicle. Weight distributing is usually 150% of that or roughly 930 pounds.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #5

Grand Cherokee WK2s are rated at 1050lb cargo capacity.

Equipped with factory tow package, the V6 is 6200lbs and 620lbs tonque weight.

With the 5.7 its 7200lbs and 720lbs tonque. Based on that I would say no issues with higher than a 620lb weight, since the vehicles are identical other than engine.

That said with a cargo capacity if 1050 as you get the tonque weight up there you can reach the cargo capacity on the vehicle rather quickly.
ORA2
Old 09-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

We may have been typing at the same time.

I'm betting 620 pounds (10% of towing capacity) is the standard weight carrying weight limit which is easily increased with a weight distributing hitch (WDH) used by (I'm guessing) the majority of folks towing campers.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #7

While I somewhat appreciate all the information, no one has actually bothered to just answer my question but just mansplain to me. I know what my tongue weight is, I weighed it. I know what my front axle, rear axle, and tongue restrictions are. My car is a unibody car, I have a wdh but know that distributing weight off the back to the front is not doing it any favors.

I know that I want to remove one propane tank. Thanks anyway, will rely on geopro Facebook in the future
Canuckdownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #8

i wouldnt even worry about it . GO CAMPING.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

The propane platform is screwed down to plate on tongue. Traveling with one tank surely would not create some sort of 'balance' issue. I also don't see how having one connector not connected would affect anything, I would try it and make sure everything works before hitting road, and I would secure loose pigtail with a ziptie so it's not smashing around beneath the cover.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckdownsouth View Post
While I somewhat appreciate all the information, no one has actually bothered to just answer my question but just mansplain to me. I know what my tongue weight is, I weighed it. I know what my front axle, rear axle, and tongue restrictions are. My car is a unibody car, I have a wdh but know that distributing weight off the back to the front is not doing it any favors.

I know that I want to remove one propane tank. Thanks anyway, will rely on geopro Facebook in the future

I wanted to clear up some misinformation in the thread that was posted regarding weights.
Quote:
I'm betting 620 pounds (10% of towing capacity) is the standard weight carrying weight limit which is easily increased with a weight distributing hitch (WDH) used by (I'm guessing) the majority of folks towing campers.
That's not how it works. Weight on the tonque is weight on the tonque. So it doesn't matter whether a WDH is used or not. My point was the frame of a V6 and V8 WK2 (Well unibody) is identical so having a V6 and 720lbs hitch weight isn't a big deal, using a WDH IS REQUIRED on a WK2 with a trailer over 3500lbs.

You also have to watch the rear axle weight rating, which on my Grand Cherokee is 3700lbs. My rear axle weight is 3417lbs with a full tank of fresh water.
ORA2
Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
I wanted to clear up some misinformation in the thread that was posted regarding weights.

That's not how it works. Weight on the tonque is weight on the tonque. So it doesn't matter whether a WDH is used or not. My point was the frame of a V6 and V8 WK2 (Well unibody) is identical so having a V6 and 720lbs hitch weight isn't a big deal, using a WDH IS REQUIRED on a WK2 with a trailer over 3500lbs.

You also have to watch the rear axle weight rating, which on my Grand Cherokee is 3700lbs. My rear axle weight is 3417lbs with a full tank of fresh water.
Tyler is correct. Only the vehicle mfr towing specs will tell you if you can have increased tongue weight by using a WDH. If using a WDH can increase tongue weight limit (it does on my Ford F150), it will be spelled out. Ford does this very well in their towing manual, showing every model's limits.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #12

The thing is........lets say you have a 900lb tonque weight without a WDH and 720lbs with the WDH still doesn't do you have good since in my case I have a payload capacity of 1050lbs........so that leaves me 150lbs of "room" in the vehicle.

Its super easy to weigh your vehicle and get the right measurements.

As for the OP and topic take a tank off make sure the one still on is secured properly and enjoy
ORA2
Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #13

He is asking whether or not he can take the propane off of one tank. You can, however, if the regulator switch is turned to the other side, it could be disastrous. Drive safely, if you want to take one tank off, then remove the switching regulator and place an single regulator inline. If you decide to go with two, you can always put the old one back on. Safe travels always!!!
Joeski3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeski3570 View Post
He is asking whether or not he can take the propane off of one tank. You can, however, if the regulator switch is turned to the other side, it could be disastrous. Drive safely, if you want to take one tank off, then remove the switching regulator and place an single regulator inline. If you decide to go with two, you can always put the old one back on. Safe travels always!!!
How would it be disastrous? If the tank he is using empties and it switches to other tank (which is no longer there), the worst that can happen is your propane powered fridge shuts off until you get a refill.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #15

Well, if the regulator is switched to the missing tank and any propane leaked from the un connected hose, yea it could be a problem.
Joeski3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeski3570 View Post
Well, if the regulator is switched to the missing tank and any propane leaked from the un connected hose, yea it could be a problem.
So, the volume of propane in the lines could leak out? That's not much...

Tags
propane, tank