Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
cbauch

Salem villa estate 2014

Since i am a women and doing this alone while my husband is over in afganitan i need some advice......don't trick me......the dealer set my rv up. But i feel that it is not level.....when sleeping i feel like my head is going down hill. When walking thru it i feel its leaning to the left. How do i level it myself? Also, does the heat run off of the propane tanks in this unit. The manual is no help. And i will be leaving in it all winter....please tell me what i need to do so just incase we get freezing weather i don't have troubles. Thank you all who helps me.
cbauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Always Learning

I can only really help you with the levelness. Firstly, do you have/own a level? I use a 2' carpenter's level.

Given the feeling that your head is lower than your feet- you want to check if you're level side to side. To do that, you can take the level and put it on the floor inside of the door (you want it perpendicular to the door and going in the same direction sideways to the camper). You want to look at the bubble that is horizontal to the floor and make sure that it's within the lines. My floor isn't entirely level, so I'll check a couple of spots. (Actually, my wife usually does it!)

If you're not level side to side, raise one end or the other of the level to see which side is lower than the other (the side that you have to lift is the lower side).

(Assuming a park model is the same as a travel trailer for leveling...)

If it's not level, you're going to need to get wood underneath of the tires on the low side. That is where things get tricky as you need a truck to do this (not sure if you have once since it sounds like the dealer did delivery + setup). You need boards that are as long and wide as the tires - say a 6-foot long 2x8 or 2x10. If I had to go buy something, I'd get a couple of 2x8 boards and a 1x8 board for "fine tuning".

First, you need to bring all of the slides in. Then make sure that you have something in front of and behind of the wheels to chock them + hold them in place. Then raise your rear stabilizers up. Finally, you're going to need to hitch up to your truck.

You'll pull the camper forward far enough that you can put the wood down where the tires were previously. Put them in place and then back the camper up onto them. Go check level and add/remove as needed until you're level side to side. It'll likely take a couple of tries. Like I said before, my wife has it down to an art- she can look at the lift of the level and say, "we need X blocks" where I'm like "duh.. I'll try this many."

Once you get leveled side to side, you can use the tongue jack to level front to back by simply raising/lowering the front of the camper until you're level the other way (you turn the level so that it's parallel with the door/camper on the floor).

Once you're level front to back, you re-chock the wheels, unhitch from the truck and lower all of the stabilizers.

If it was already level side-to-side and front-to-back, your bed could still be out of level. I know a few people have reported that. They've somehow made ramps to lift the head of the mattress up a little to alleviate the feeling.

--

Though, I will say- this might be a time that you try and talk to someone in person who has experience with this stuff. A trailer rolling away or dropping off of the hitch can be dangerous!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbauch View Post
Also, does the heat run off of the propane tanks in this unit. The manual is no help.
I can also answer this part - yes, when you run the furnace, it uses propane. Depending on how warm you keep it and how cold it gets will determine how much propane you use. My wife and I like to keep it toasty in the cooler weather when we camp, as we use a fair amount of propane keeping warm. But, by the time cooler weather rolls around, we're only long-weekending it.

Your camper possibly has (2) 30 pound tanks. I know that with some of the parks we've been at, I've seen seasonal folks with much larger tanks outside of the camper. They've been able to connect them up instead of using and dealing with the smaller tanks. Don't have any details, but a local RV mobile repair may be able to help you out with details.

(I have no idea to tell you for what to do about cold + freezing weather as I have never RV'd in that kind of weather and would likely only do it for short periods of time.)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
MI Camperz

The heat should definitely run from propane. I can't guide you through it though. Are you in a seasonal park? I ask because that is a park model.
If so, generally, neighbors are extremely helpful. Otherwise, this forum will come to you rescue.

Tags
salem