Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #21

I think me and my OCD about airflow has helped in this situation. I will be testing the sensor over the weekend. Will post updates. This has never happened to me before.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
The sensors commit suicide after 5 years. That is the way they were designed.
After this incident i think these stoves should have a safety feature in order to turn them on. Pull the knob, instead of pushing it. I will be testing the sensor
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
My kitchen is at the back (rks model), bathroom is in the middle of the trailer. I always open slightly (1 inch) window behind sink right next to stove and always havr my bathroom fan on. I do this for air circulation, whether me and my daughter sleep or not.
Yesterday we went go carting for two hours. We got back. When i opened the door to the trailer i heard a hissing sound once inside. The knob on the stove was in Hi-Lite position. I immediately closed it, told my kid to run away without shoes far away from the trailer and ran two sites over to get my buddy to smell stuff. I have a sinus infection and can't smell anything. He comes over and says there is a strong propane smell inside. I opened second doors in the bedroom at the front of the trailer. My buddy wanted to turn off the lights that were on and i yelled at him not to touch anything and case sparks with switches etc.
My water heater is 10" away from the entrance to the kitchen!

I know propane is heavier than air. Right underneath the sink by the floor i have the propane alarm. Trailer is a 2012 26RKS (rare FR trailer).
My questions, why didnt the alarm sound? There were people within 20 feet of my trailer on the next site. Nobody heard anything.
Did my air circulation OCD save me? I keep the doors to the washroom closed, there is a 2" gap on the bottom that would allow air drawn from the window to pass by.
I guess next time im there i will be taking my camping propane cylinder and letting some propane into that sensor to see if it works.
I have a 2017, 27' TTRKSS Wildwood that would be similar to yours. I think my detector goes off too often. Not that I'd ever complain. It seems like you may be in need of a new Carbon Monoxide/Propane Leak Detector. Mine is located right outside the bathroom door though typically you really shouldn't mount them right near an open door. Of course I have found some questionable design issues with FR units that you wouldn't see in real construction. Actually they wouldn't really pass building code in some communities I have worked in.
bgoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #24

LPG Leaks

We had a Customer Buy a New Motor Home I ran into them at a Basketball Game and asked how their first trip Went. They replied it about killed them they were awaken in the middle of the night by the LP Alarm( Doing it's Job) and a large smell of LP in the unit. The Cause they took their Cat with them on this trip the cat managed to turn on a LP Valve on the Stove . Thankful the alarm was there and did the job it was made to do.
Flowers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
One of my worst fears! Happened to us recently...DW or I "bounced" one of the stove knobs and turned it on. Because I was doing stuff inside the trailer I noticed the smell almost immediatly and turned it off. I have had a shut off installed in the propane line where it branches below the trailer to go up to the stove. It is close to the side of the trailer so easy to use. This is always off except when using the stove which is seldom as we usually have electric hook up and use an electric stove outside....
We had this happen too. Just leaned against the front of the gas stove and moved sideways a bit thus turning a burner on to max for lighting. DW did the bumping and I smelled and/or heard it and shut it off quickly. Even at that there was too much propane for us to stay inside.

I don't recall the propane detector going off that time, but it has gone off each time we have had a regulator failure. Indeed it has gone off weeks before the leak was bad enough for us to track it down. The propane tanks are in sealed compartments up front and the kitchen and detector are at the rear. Nonetheless, when the wind is right it would trigger on the very slow leak. The first time we thought the detector was failing or smoke from a neighbor's fire was triggering it.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, propane, trailer