Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrboverman View Post
I work on these often and find bugs or debris such as a small spider web or dust in the burner itself. Sadly you have to disassemble the entire furnace with it out of the camper to access this on most models. When you get the burner out wash back-and-forth through it several times in the sink. Check the gap on the igniter. Scrub the other metal rod which is the flame sensor with a scotch Brite so itís shiny and put it all back together
you can get away with scrubbing the flame sensor but not recommended to use scotch brite this can wear off the coating . simple cleaning with a very fine abrasive A dollar bill works good . it's only used to get carbon build up off the sensor/igniter . trying to make it shiny can ruin it over time
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrboverman View Post
I work on these often and find bugs or debris such as a small spider web or dust in the burner itself. Sadly you have to disassemble the entire furnace with it out of the camper to access this on most models. When you get the burner out wash back-and-forth through it several times in the sink. Check the gap on the igniter. Scrub the other metal rod which is the flame sensor with a scotch Brite so itís shiny and put it all back together
Thank you, for the reply when I took it out it had a small 1Ē hole in the burner not even near the igniter but towards the end. Checked the gap and it was within specs. Then opened it up burned flakes all inside from the metal and multiple bugs. Cleaned it and it put it back together and has been working great ever since. Have a spare burner on hand that I bought for when it fails but wonít install until I test it with my lp gas gauge to make sure itís not getting more then 11-12wc since I have an external 300gallon tank. Since itís operating I assume itís within specs but better to be safe then sorry.
JJUSMC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
Yup. Check to make sure your furnace's sail switch is working properly.

If your mud dauber tenants have clogged either/both of the furnace's exterior vents, the sail switch wonít activate when the blower starts and the furnace will shut down.
Checked for clogs on both exterior vents and both are clear tested sail switch with multi meter and it engages. Found the issue which was the burner. It was had some burnt debris and bugs from years of no use. Thank you for the advice though!
Old 01-05-2022, 01:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbob View Post
A couple years back for my issue, I did what Mrbovernan mentioned and also found the sharp corner of my sail switch was getting hung up on the plastic housing. You can see the scratch mark. I filed that edge down. Not sure which thing actually fixed the issue but it worked upon reassembly.Attachment 267351
Thank you for the advice but turned out to be the burner. Had debris and some bugs in it.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #25

Hey guys, literally love all the support by the way. Everyone has some very solid advice and checked everything out. Turns out carbon build up on the actual heater element as well as some burnt bugs were the cause. I cleared them out and it has been functional for a week now. I will update if anything changes. Thank you all so much. Snow just hit so I needed the help fast and you all came through. 🙂
Old 01-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #26

Mine failed and nothing worked. Maybe there can be a restriction sometimes, but over the course of an hour, my regular would allow enough propane to fire my stove for about 10 seconds. If you haven't checked already, see how the burner on the stove works, that's a more unrestricted flow than your heater. Mine failed after three years, YMMV.
csterl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #27

I just googled mud daubers cause i've never heard of them.. What a creature. Thank god we haven't seen them in Alberta yet..
Glad you got your furnace figured out.. props to MR.M for giving an answer with just reading the original post..
lilmikey_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #28

Just another bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmikey_ab View Post
I just googled mud daubers cause i've never heard of them.. What a creature. Thank god we haven't seen them in Alberta yet..
Glad you got your furnace figured out.. props to MR.M for giving an answer with just reading the original post..
All kinds of bees. Aerial hornets. Terrestrial hornets (They nest in the ground. Don't step on them). Carpenter bees (Aka borer bees. They drill up into the bottom side of a wood surface, e.g., a 2x8 deck joist, making a perfect 5/16" hole for about 1/2", then go horizontal for 4-5". Your first clue is the little cone-shaped pile of sawdust below the hole.). Mud dauber nests that aren't in the furnace flue are usually on a vertical surface. They look like a set of organ pipes.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
All kinds of bees. Aerial hornets. Terrestrial hornets (They nest in the ground. Don't step on them). Carpenter bees (Aka borer bees. They drill up into the bottom side of a wood surface, e.g., a 2x8 deck joist, making a perfect 5/16" hole for about 1/2", then go horizontal for 4-5". Your first clue is the little cone-shaped pile of sawdust below the hole.). Mud dauber nests that aren't in the furnace flue are usually on a vertical surface. They look like a set of organ pipes.
Not saying we don't have bees or wasps & such.. just never heard of these mud dudes..
I had stepped on a nest of hornets or wasps when I was about 5 or 6. I was stung or bitten so many times that I ended up in hospital, my legs were so swollen..(that's what I remember about that)
lilmikey_ab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace