Old 09-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Smell Propane

Hi,

Today I walked by my propane on my Forest River Wildwood FSX and smell propane pretty bad. I used soapy water on the hoses and couldn't see anything that looked like a leak. I see the regulator and nothing looks odd. Do they periodically let out propane when it get colder or is there a way to check it? Also if I order the same model can I just install it and it should be defaulted to the right pressure. I know lots of questions, but it seems like once I fix one thing on this trailer another one is breaking.
Jeremywalter44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremywalter44 View Post
Hi,

Today I walked by my propane on my Forest River Wildwood FSX and smell propane pretty bad. I used soapy water on the hoses and couldn't see anything that looked like a leak. I see the regulator and nothing looks odd. Do they periodically let out propane when it get colder or is there a way to check it? Also if I order the same model can I just install it and it should be defaulted to the right pressure. I know lots of questions, but it seems like once I fix one thing on this trailer another one is breaking.
Squirt the connections to the tank ( both ends of the pigtails) and the regulator itself. Wait a few minutes and look again for the bubbles. I swear I have to replace the pigtails every two years, and I'm on my third switch over regulator in 9 years. Hard to believe they don't last longer than that anymore. On our other RVs over the last 40 years I don't remember replacing them ever. So either the new ones are much lower quality, or my memory is gone, or both!!!!
Never known propane to vent unless over filled at higher temps.
Most RV regulators will work as replacements as they are fairly standard.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

If you have a kitchen slideout be sure to check the hose where it bends when the slide is extended / retracted and where it connects to the main gas pipe. Ask me how I know. Also, the odor from propane can dissipate quite quickly in a breeze or travel quite a ways when it's calm.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Head Rambler

You could have a ruptured diaphragm in the regulator and it's venting LP. The vent is in the cap of the regulator and it can be kinda hard to tell if it's leaking with the bubble solution.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
llr

I went through 2 sets of pigtails the 1st year. Then I replaced them with a longer set with less strain on the connections, 2 years so far.
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #6

We had a regulator go bad on a trip and could smell it but could not figure out where it was coming from. At least they are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #7

Found Leak

So I used the soap first to find the leak with no results. I had a friend who had actual leak spray and sprayed the heck out of it. He was very confident that if there was a leak it would bubble up. Sure enough there was a leak right on the part of the hose that hooks up directly to the tank. The spray was called sherlock or something like that. Lesson learned use a real leak spray and not soapy water.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
So I used the soap first to find the leak with no results. I had a friend who had actual leak spray and sprayed the heck out of it. He was very confident that if there was a leak it would bubble up. Sure enough there was a leak right on the part of the hose that hooks up directly to the tank. The spray was called sherlock or something like that. Lesson learned use a real leak spray and not soapy water.
Maybe you didn't use enough soap in the solution? I've never used anything but soap solution. Buying a commercial leak detector solution is like my wife telling me we had to go buy rocks for landscaping when we had gorgeous rocks all around the farms for free
https://www.hunker.com/12313443/how-...ector-solution
Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #9

Probably the regulator.

I find the regulators are what I would first suspect. I actually figured that out when I walk by the trailer and could see the propane distort the light in the early morning.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #10

Yeah I guess I should have used a spray bottle. That probably would have worked. I just rubbed it on the fittings. Good thing I didn't have to buy anything and had a good plumber buddy. I got a regulator anyway. I was reading online and a guy said he always keeps one in his camper in case it breaks. It would suck if you were on day one of camping and that broke. Might be hard to find depending on where you are.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah I guess I should have used a spray bottle. That probably would have worked. I just rubbed it on the fittings. Good thing I didn't have to buy anything and had a good plumber buddy. I got a regulator anyway. I was reading online and a guy said he always keeps one in his camper in case it breaks. It would suck if you were on day one of camping and that broke. Might be hard to find depending on where you are.
Here are my thoughts on spare parts
I used to carry lots of spares for just about everything as we camp in the backwoods, hours from anywhere that might have parts.
And invariably when I actually needed a part, either I didn't have exactly what I needed, or the part was now so old (like the diaphragm in a regulator or pump) that it was also no good.
So I stopped carrying all those extra 'just in case' parts. I have lots more room in storage for other good junk. I do carry fasteners and lots of tools.
And honestly, every time we have had an equipment failure while in the backwoods, we have always managed a work around, so didn't have to cut a trip short.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Sure enough there was a leak right on the part of the hose that hooks up directly to the tank. .
Glad you found the leak. What did you have to do to repair it? Did you have to replace the hose or just tighten up the connection?
Can't hurt to have an extra regulator and hoses on board, but we don't carry many spare parts because it's usually the part we don't have that fails.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #13

Replaced the Pigtail

I had to replace the pigtail. It was $17 bucks on Amazon. I did end up getting a longer one like mentioned above from MtBiker. It was a pretty tight bend so I got one that was longer. Yeah I know, it probably won't ever break, but I just have a small basket with a couple things. I figure if I am camping and someone else's breaks that is the same I could help out. I am pretty new to this but another thing I do with my spare parts and things like flash lights or batteries is bring them into the house when we aren't camping. I have a basket they are in and I just bring it in every time we come home and pack when we leave. I figure they will last longer in a climate controlled environment when not camping. On using soap vs. actual spray that finds leaks I mentioned it to my plumber friend who deals with commercial gas piping daily and he says it is no match to the spray he used. Lots of stuff here hope this helps.

Tags
propane