Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #1

Suburban oven useless

We have a rear kitchen Surveyor with a 22" range. Wife had had it with the oven. It won't stay lit for more than 5 minutes, or it burns the bottom of everything. She is an excellent cook.

Have tested all three burners at once, both wide open and fully throttled back to a small flame. Heater, water heater, and fridge all work fine on propane.

She asked me to replace the oven unit with just a cooktop and get her some additional storage space.

What cooktop should I get?
It would free up some space for raising the pans to just under the cooktop, they are now just under the oven.

Thanks in advance.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
We have a rear kitchen Surveyor with a 22" range. Wife had had it with the oven. It won't stay lit for more than 5 minutes, or it burns the bottom of everything. She is an excellent cook.

Have tested all three burners at once, both wide open and fully throttled back to a small flame. Heater, water heater, and fridge all work fine on propane.

She asked me to replace the oven unit with just a cooktop and get her some additional storage space.

It would free up some space for raising the pans to just under the cooktop, they are now just under the oven.

Thanks in advance.
welcome to the world of RV ovens. Try using a pizza Stone .
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post

I'd suggest an induction cooktop. Many new units have them included as original equipment. You can get a standalone countertop unit or one that installs in the countertop.

I personally like a countertop unit which we sometimes take outside to the picnic table to cook.

As to which one? You probably need to take her to see which one suits her cooking style. The one I like, my friend hates because she doesn't like the control panel.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Yep, ceramic tile or pizza stone makes a big difference with RV ovens.
Unless the OP always has hookups, an induction cooktop is kinda useless.A lot of us dry camp or boondock a lot.
I will say that our current Atwood oven works better than our previous Suburban.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 AM   #5

You can fix that oven easily if you are handy with tools. Remove the burner assembly, drill out the bracket that holds the thermocouple in place and fix so that the thermocouple is farther into the pilot flame. That worked for me. How can suck a common problem be overlooked by the manufacturer for so many years. Good luck!
mmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
JEG

We had the same problem with the range in our 2016 Surveyor. We've always used a pizza stone in our RV ovens, with great success in evenly distributing the heat while baking. With regards to the oven not staying lit, Suburban had problems with the pilots in several models of their ovens. They won't notify you if yours is one of them, but if you call their customer service they will tell you if your model/serial number is one that has the problem. They won't sell you the replacement pilot, but your local Suburban dealer will be able to acquire it for you. I got mine through Cecil's RV in Edgewater, Florida, and was able to get it at no cost. If you're handy, installing it yourself is a 30 minute job. Hope that helps.
JEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #7

This is kind of humorous to me as I sit back and think of when we got our first popup in 1984. Cooking consisted of a Coleman "White Gas" two burner stove...that I still have and is fully functional. We still use it at the cabin now. Light at night was two Coleman "White Gas" Lanterns...a Single mantel and a dual mantel. I have them at the cabin and will light them to add a little nostalgia to the atmosphere. All three items were purchased in 1984 and still work as good as they did when new.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I have them at the cabin and will light them to add a little nostalgia to the atmosphere. All three items were purchased in 1984 and still work as good as they did when new.
You can’t get any better than the old Coleman white gas stoves and lanterns. They just last forever and are very reliable. Using the old lanterns today really does keep the memories of camping trips of years past alive, plus the light they provide gives a very “romantic” atmosphere for camping trips today. Those stoves and lanterns are true heirlooms which should be handed down from generation to generation.

Bruce
Old 03-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #9
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Over the years we've found most (if not all) RV ovens to be useless based on tiny size and their ability to properly maintain temperature. Our past two fifth wheels have had combination microwave/convection ovens and we have never even lit the pilot on either of those ovens. We exclusively use the convection oven and enjoy it so much we purchased a new range at home with a convection oven.

Gas cook top is different than our electric range at home - but seems to work fine.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
This is kind of humorous to me as I sit back and think of when we got our first popup in 1984. Cooking consisted of a Coleman "White Gas" two burner stove...that I still have and is fully functional.
And before that, there was a grate over the campfire where you did all of your cooking. You probably graduated from sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground too. The point is, it's now 2019. We have modern conveniences and with that comes the inherent issues that "progress" brings. Would you go back to the "olden days" if you had the chance and forego all of the equipment that you have now gotten used to having and have taken for granted?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
And before that, there was a grate over the campfire where you did all of your cooking. You probably graduated from sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground too. The point is, it's now 2019. We have modern conveniences and with that comes the inherent issues that "progress" brings. Would you go back to the "olden days" if you had the chance and forego all of the equipment that you have now gotten used to having and have taken for granted?
Yes I would. Progress.....is not always better.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
Site Team

It should stay lit. Get it fixed under warranty. Ours never goes out on its own.
Then get an air bake cookie sheet that fits in the oven. Bake using light colored pans on top of the air bake cookie sheet and you won't burn the bottoms any more.
The pizza stone or unglazed tile do not work as well as an air bake cookie sheet!! We've tried both ways.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Yes I would. Progress.....is not always better.
So would you rather go back?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #14

When we were last looking at trailers, one of the "salesmen" called it the "bread box". He said he picked that up from another potential customer who claimed they never used the oven for cooking...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #15

The DW is happy as we took the convection option.

She loves the gas cooktop.

The oven works, we think.

A pizza stone or the tiles they sell for outdoor grills would help.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
When we were last looking at trailers, one of the "salesmen" called it the "bread box". He said he picked that up from another potential customer who claimed they never used the oven for cooking...
We went to two RV shows in the last month or so and noticed that they're becoming more prevalent than they used to be. When we bought ours, it was a "must have" for my wife.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #17

Pizza stones, AirBake cookie sheets all seem to help.

The cheapest thing to try is to get a cheap regular cookie sheet from the dollar store or WalMart and lay it upside down on the "shelf" immediately above the burner. It acts as a heat shield/diffuser so that your bottoms won't burn anymore.

Doing this tamed our oven waaaay down and it is quite usable now.

The burner going out after 5 minutes issue should be covered by the warranty though... have you checked with your dealer?

I personally wouldn't get rid of the oven... it isn't too hard to get it under control, and it's nice sometimes to have biscuits in the morning

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #18

I replace my pilot light assembly with the new part number as recommended by Suburban...actually they recommended me to take it into Camping World and I wasn't going to do that. They reluctantly gave me the updated part number but that didn't help. Using a small needle and enlarging the pilot orifice is how I fixed mine. The pilot flame just needed to be bigger. I also drilled out the air feed so that the pilot mixture was close to keep it all blue. I always shut my over off completely after I use it so the pilot doesn't stay on all the time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I replace my pilot light assembly with the new part number as recommended by Suburban...actually they recommended me to take it into Camping World and I wasn't going to do that. They reluctantly gave me the updated part number but that didn't help. Using a small needle and enlarging the pilot orifice is how I fixed mine. The pilot flame just needed to be bigger. I also drilled out the air feed so that the pilot mixture was close to keep it all blue. I always shut my over off completely after I use it so the pilot doesn't stay on all the time.
I recently replaced mine too. Had to wait quite a while because the part was on backorder. When comparing mine with old it appeared to have a different air bleed hole size. Maybe they finally got it fixed and the newest of new took a while to get out to dealers

I was also told to make sure pilot flame was positioned just outside the burner flame when burner was lit. According to service tech who told me this, when burner went to low flame it would snuff the pilot if pilot assy was located too close due to bent bracket.

Mine works perfect now.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I recently replaced mine too. Had to wait quite a while because the part was on backorder. When comparing mine with old it appeared to have a different air bleed hole size. Maybe they finally got it fixed and the newest of new took a while to get out to dealers

I was also told to make sure pilot flame was positioned just outside the burner flame when burner was lit. According to service tech who told me this, when burner went to low flame it would snuff the pilot if pilot assy was located too close due to bent bracket.

Mine works perfect now.
As the burner was on, after around 5 minutes, the pilot would start to sputter and then eventually go completely out even though the burner was still on. It was almost as if it was related to the heat from the burner applied to the pilot light and causing the orifice to swell shut. All works well now with a bigger pilot light flame.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban