Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I told myself I would stop posting on threads that have already been asked and answered, but what is best way to shut off fridge when at gas pumps? Unless I'm going into trailer for a reason, it seems like just turning off propane tank would work. I'm guessing upon leaving simply turning tank back on will get fridge running again. Simply shutting off tank should not get air in the line.
I don't know about the East Coast but her in the West all but the most remote areas use gas nozzles that are one form or another vapor recovery devices.

Either with small holes around the tip of the nozzle or larger "Elephant Trunk" rubber enclosures that allow vapors to flow back to the underground tank.

Fueling with gasoline today is nothing like the days of the old "visible pumps" or non-shutoff fill nozzles.

Shutting off refrigerators and water heaters while fueling is probably more of a rarity than standard practice.

We're also not supposed to use Cell Phones while fueling.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #22
Site Team

If you truly want to stop the fridge from firing the ignitor then you'll have to go to the fridge and turn it off there. Also if you just turn the valve on the propane cylinder off there's enough gas pressure and volume left in the lines to run the fridge several hours, so turning it off won't shut down the fridge immediately.

In tunnels the requirement is only to turn off the service valve on the tank or cylinders. There may a requirement to extinguish any open flames, but I don't remember seeing it on any tunnels I've been through.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Run with mine on all the time. The only time I ever turn it off is if I'm passing through a tunnel, bridge or other roadway that mandates propane tanks be off which happens very rarely.
X2, never had a problem.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Run with mine on all the time. The only time I ever turn it off is if I'm passing through a tunnel, bridge or other roadway that mandates propane tanks be off which happens very rarely.

Never have run with it turned off. What's the point of having a propane refrigerator if you shut it off?

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

I forgot the igniter is going to keep sparking, and you are right, the residual propane in the lines will probably keep it going well after turning tank off. I will just go in trailer and use fridge power button.

I'm more concerned about places with volatile fumes, like gas stations than tunnels. Although the Chesepeake Bay Tunnel-Bridge makes you shut off tank. No big deal, I pull over right after toll booth, flip top lid on propane tank cover and turn valve off. Anyone know how long after shutting tank off that fridge will fire up automatically when gas is turned back on? That bridge-tunnel is LONG!!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #26
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrnfl View Post
We turn our refer off for 2-4 hours at a time when traveling to save on propane usage. We check the temperature it at the 2,3, and 4 hour time. When the refer temperature goes above 50 we turn it back on until it gets back down to 40.
The fridge doesn't use much propane, just leave it on.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't know about the East Coast but her in the West all but the most remote areas use gas nozzles that are one form or another vapor recovery devices.

Either with small holes around the tip of the nozzle or larger "Elephant Trunk" rubber enclosures that allow vapors to flow back to the underground tank.

Fueling with gasoline today is nothing like the days of the old "visible pumps" or non-shutoff fill nozzles.

Shutting off refrigerators and water heaters while fueling is probably more of a rarity than standard practice.

We're also not supposed to use Cell Phones while fueling.
At least the cellphone thing has been debunked. Seems static electricity is what is responsible for ignitions that were coincidental with cell phone use. BTW, if this show was on when I was a kid, I would probably have seriously hurt myself or somebody else. Warnings like, "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME" to a kid means, "oh, we definitely gotta try this at home!"
Old 07-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2-way RV fridge uses very little propane, unlike the furnace. IMHO, you'll see very little saving in propane, by doing what you're doing.
X2
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you truly want to stop the fridge from firing the ignitor then you'll have to go to the fridge and turn it off there. Also if you just turn the valve on the propane cylinder off there's enough gas pressure and volume left in the lines to run the fridge several hours, so turning it off won't shut down the fridge immediately.

In tunnels the requirement is only to turn off the service valve on the tank or cylinders. There may a requirement to extinguish any open flames, but I don't remember seeing it on any tunnels I've been through.
You must have some mighty long propane lines. The fridge flame goes out in my trailer in less than 2 minutes after turning the propane tanks off. The fridge is located 20 ft from the tanks.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Ive never thought to NOT have it running while going down the road.

Same here we have no tunnels at all around here so no issue with turning off Propane. NEVER had a problem.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #31

Quote:
I forgot the igniter is going to keep sparking, and you are right, the residual propane in the lines will probably keep it going well after turning tank off. I will just go in trailer and use fridge power button.

I'm more concerned about places with volatile fumes, like gas stations than tunnels. Although the Chesepeake Bay Tunnel-Bridge makes you shut off tank. No big deal, I pull over right after toll booth, flip top lid on propane tank cover and turn valve off. Anyone know how long after shutting tank off that fridge will fire up automatically when gas is turned back on? That bridge-tunnel is LONG!!
I left my propane off for a couple of weeks until I got around to reinstalling the tank I refilled. Started right back up. Kind of surprised me, expected to have to purge air out of gas lines, but didn't need to. Now if I remember, I turn propane off when storing trailer, and don't have to purge when I start the fridge. Purging lines is a thing of the past with this camper.

I think need to purge varies from trailer to trailer - how good the valves and connections really are.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

AND me and you don't have much of a line run to our appliances. 10 feet?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #33

As for turning the refrigerator off for a couple of hours to save propane remember a single cylinder will run the refrig for weeks. False economy.

-- Chuck
Old 07-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #34

Never needed to have it running

Last summer I travelled from Wisconsin to Las Vegas in 3 days in 100 degree temps. That was 10-12 hours on the road a day. I never had the refrigerator on while on the road. Not once did the food get warm. At night while we slept and was hooked up to power I froze 4 cooler bars that you would use in a portable cooler, left two in the freezer and two in the fridge and everything was just as cold as when we left in the morning. Just my preference to not travel with the fridge on.

You will find that everyone has an opinion on this so do whatever you prefer. For me I just don't see the need as an extra 30 seconds of work makes it not needed.
haplo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #35

Quote:
...I'm more concerned about places with volatile fumes, like gas stations than tunnels. Although the Chesepeake Bay Tunnel-Bridge makes you shut off tank. No big deal, I pull over right after toll booth, flip top lid on propane tank cover and turn valve off. Anyone know how long after shutting tank off that fridge will fire up automatically when gas is turned back on? That bridge-tunnel is LONG!!
As you probably know, in some tunnels propane is strictly verboten:

Quote:
LP-GAS PROHIBITED:

Maryland/Baltimore:
Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695.

Massachusetts/Boston Harbor:
All tunnels.

New York/East River:
Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel.

New York and New Jersey/Hudson River:
Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.
https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...nks-in-tunnels
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thankfully, all the places I wouldn't think of bringing my camper to! I don't live far away, but avoid the area. I'm a country boy!
Old 07-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #37

Switch it off just before entering a Gas Station

It would be cool to have a bluetooth fridge that you could switch from propane to 12v just before entering a gas station...
nickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #38

I have a Domettic, and so can't speak for other brands. That works fine for shutting it off, just turn the propane tanks off. However, then the frig starts to beep telling you it can't run, and even when I turn propane back on it doesn't seem to kick back on. So I have to open door, turn frig off then back on again and then it will start back up again. I have also been running it while towing, but turning off for refueling. I would also agree with other commenters that the amount of propane used for the frig is remarkably small.
garmanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #39

Quote:

Yup ... same here!

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickens View Post
It would be cool to have a bluetooth fridge that you could switch from propane to 12v just before entering a gas station...

My 3 way Dometic in the MH runs on battery when the engine is running and for about 5-10 minutes after it is shut off before it auto switches to propane. OFC, plug in shore power or start genny and it runs on AC

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel