Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #61

No reason to turn off the LP refrigerator at a gas station. Yeah there's a tiny shielded flame about 5 feet off the ground on the opposite side of the trailer as the gas pumps. No way fumes can get that high unless you pump gas into the refrigerator vents.

The sky is not falling.

Tunnels under Chesapeake Bay (Norfolk) require LP to be turned off but there's no place to pull off to do that... Pennsylvania Turnpike tunnels do not require LP be turned off.

-- Chuck
Old 07-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #62

I get my RV refrigerator going (2-3 days) a few days prior to departure--bring it down to the desired temperature and fill it up with my groceries including frozen meat. Then the day of travel, I ensure everything is ready and secure. I disconnect the trailer (electric and propane) and travel. I always turn the propane off!

I just did a 3-day trip to Colorado (6-8 hours of driving per day) and then hook up at an overnighter and check the refrigerator to include the milk and eggs and never had a problem. These RV refrigerators are well insulated. Why risk a nasty accident with propane--I've seen a few bad RV accidents on the road including one burnt to a crisp unit that had nothing but the charred frame remaining--not sure of the cause, but an live propane line wouldn't help. Plus, if emergency responders show up during the flame and you mention that your propane line is active--you might be sighted.

Be safe and leave it off!
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #63

Cited (sighted) for what?

-- Chuck
Old 07-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
They apply but I have common sense. My propane isn't going to explode for one reason
The issue is that any propane that leaks will pool at the lowest point in a tunnel...that's why tunnels that are higher in the middle (e.g., in mountainous areas) don't have restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
No reason to turn off the LP refrigerator at a gas station. Yeah there's a tiny shielded flame about 5 feet off the ground on the opposite side of the trailer as the gas pumps. No way fumes can get that high unless you pump gas into the refrigerator vents....
I've pulled into any number of gas stations and smelled gasoline fumes upon getting out of the truck. I'm 6'3" so that 5' comment doesn't reassure me.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
No 12V only
My post was about no RV fridge has a 12v or propane option. Yours is just 12v and there are a lot of them out there. But none also have a propane option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #66

Or they may just standback and watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Edington View Post
I get my RV refrigerator going (2-3 days) a few days prior to departure--bring it down to the desired temperature and fill it up with my groceries including frozen meat. Then the day of travel, I ensure everything is ready and secure. I disconnect the trailer (electric and propane) and travel. I always turn the propane off!

I just did a 3-day trip to Colorado (6-8 hours of driving per day) and then hook up at an overnighter and check the refrigerator to include the milk and eggs and never had a problem. These RV refrigerators are well insulated. Why risk a nasty accident with propane--I've seen a few bad RV accidents on the road including one burnt to a crisp unit that had nothing but the charred frame remaining--not sure of the cause, but an live propane line wouldn't help. Plus, if emergency responders show up during the flame and you mention that your propane line is active--you might be sighted.

Be safe and leave it off!
If you tell them the tanks are open, NO one in their right mind would blame them for not risking their lives and standing back and watching it burn.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
The issue is that any propane that leaks will pool at the lowest point in a tunnel...that's why tunnels that are higher in the middle (e.g., in mountainous areas) don't have restrictions.

I've pulled into any number of gas stations and smelled gasoline fumes upon getting out of the truck. I'm 6'3" so that 5' comment doesn't reassure me.
I guess some people have never seen Billy Bob lock the gas pump on and walk away. WHen a few moments later the pump doesn't shut off and there is gas everywhere - including under other vehicles. I've seen it happen more than once.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #68

Quote:
No reason to turn off the LP refrigerator at a gas station. Yeah there's a tiny shielded flame about 5 feet off the ground on the opposite side of the trailer as the gas pumps. No way fumes can get that high unless you pump gas into the refrigerator vents.

-- Chuck
Not all refrigerators are on the curbside. Ours is on the driver's side and about 5' in front of the gas fill. Depending on how the pumps are laid out we are right next to a pump while fueling, so yeah, we step back and turn off the refrigerator while doing so.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Isn't it illegal to allow ice cream to melt?
Yes. Yes it is. Refrigerator MUST stay running ESPECIALLY if you have ice cream!!!
Bluej777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #70
FLY4FUN

Fridge on while towing

The potential for melting ice cream adds a whole new issue, of course. One thing's extremely clear, there'll never be total agreement and resolution to the original question. May those who "turn off" somehow keep the ice cream from melting...and, may those who tow with the fridge burning avoid all of the "might happen hazards". (I'm a burner, BTW ) Happy camping!
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Run with mine on all the time. The only time I ever turn it off is if I'm passing through a tunnel, bridge or other roadway that mandates propane tanks be off which happens very rarely.
Same here.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrnfl View Post
We turn our refer off for 2-4 hours at a time when traveling to save on propane usage. We check the temperature it at the 2,3, and 4 hour time. When the refer temperature goes above 50 we turn it back on until it gets back down to 40.
I'm not sure you're save propane by doing that . the fridge uses verylittle propane to begin with . it will take more time and propane to keep cooling it back down to temp then it will just keeping it at temp.
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvol View Post
I have been traveling with my RV refrigerator running. It is a standard RV refrig (gas and electric). I just read a article stating that I should not travel with the refrigerator running. Do you travel with the refrigerator running? What issues have you had? If not how do you keep your food cold?

What are your thoughts?
I run with it in all the time. Mine is either propane or 110.
Grillmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #74
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
My post was about no RV fridge has a 12v or propane option. Yours is just 12v and there are a lot of them out there. But none also have a propane option.
Not what you posted: "There are no RV fridges that are just propane or 12v.
There are small 3-way fridges that are propane/12v DC/110v AC.'

Anyway you are right. I have wondered why. Can't take much to convert a 110 to 12, just change the compressor and add a transformer.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #75

mine stays on till I get home again
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
or beer to get to 50 degrees?
Why do the British drink warm beer?
Because Lucas makes refrigerators, too.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #77
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Why do the British drink warm beer?
Because Lucas makes refrigerators, too.
Now THAT is funny! Having dealt with Lucas electric in the distant past in a Triumph sports car, I can relate. Better chance of burning up whatever Lucas is installed in than keeping anything cold!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #78
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

The sky is not falling.

Tunnels under Chesapeake Bay (Norfolk) require LP to be turned off but there's no place to pull off to do that... Pennsylvania Turnpike tunnels do not require LP be turned off.

-- Chuck
Last September, I went through toll booth there and lady asked me if propane was shut off, I said no, doing it now, and promptly pulled over onto shoulder just past toll booths and shut it off. If I recall, there was a lane RV's and trailers were required to use which had a manned toll booth.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Now THAT is funny! Having dealt with Lucas electric in the distant past in a Triumph sports car, I can relate. Better chance of burning up whatever Lucas is installed in than keeping anything cold!
Had a 1960 MGA 1600 with electrics by Lucas. 2 6V batteries installed behind/under the seats, positive ground, regularly soaked by road spray. No starter relay, just a choke cable actuated manual bar to bridge the contacts. Tachometer was mechanical drive, and temp gauge used tube from coolant port. Turn signals were powered by engine vacuum flasher unit. AM radio used tubes not transistors. Positive ground prevented me from upgrading radio. Yet it had an electric fuel pump, electric windshield wipers, and generator output was adjustable. When the ignition coil gave up the ghost (that was fun trouble-shooting!), I was able to replace with a US standard because polarity doesn't matter with coils.

Yes, I know almost all the Lucas jokes.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_905 View Post
Your fridge will stay cold for hr. But if you ever get into an accident you now have an open propane valve and thatís alittle dangerous. So I would advise you to insure the wife for a lot if your going to drive with it on.
Simply driving any vehicle CAN be dangerous as are many things like getting out of bed and tripping and dying from the fall.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel