Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #1

Urgent Propane Help Needed

Hello.
I have a 2011 Rockwood 5th wheel 8281SS. I was going through my pre camping checklist and when I checked the gas I found this problem. With both tanks open I get about 5 seconds of gas pressure then it drops to zero. I shut down both tanks, remove the hoses, reconnect both hoses, open tanks, same thing, couple seconds of gas pressure then nothing. The indicator on the diverter valve shows green then changes to red when pressure drops. This is our second trip with this camper. The gas worked properly the frist trip. It was in July. I did leave both valves open from then until now. Both tanks are still full as well. When I remove the hoses from the diverter/reg. valve and open a tank, nothing comes out of the hose. When I take a tank to my bar-b-q grill it operates the grill as intended. I am stumped. The urgent nature of this request is because we are leaving today and the nights will be dipping into to 40's this weekend. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Brian
4Rasnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #2

Only open one tank. Open the tank very slowly to prevent lockup. Just run one tank at a time,gives you backup when the other runs out! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

I have tried it 1 tank. Same result. I have not tried opening valve slowly though. Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Team

There are excess flow preventers built into the tank valves and if you hook it to a unpressurized line (which you always do) and open the valve quickly the sudden rush of propane through the valve will engage the preventer and cause the symptoms you describe.

Opening the valve slowly will usually solve that problem.

Some excess flow device are more sensitive than others so that's why some have problems and some never do.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

Hello and thanks to those who responded. To put closure to this it ended up being the hose. It would not allow any gas through. Put a new on on and gas flowed. Just something else to add to the list when it goes back to the dealer this week.