Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #1

Viking Composite Propane Cylinders refills

I have discovered a light weight composite propane cylinder. When traveling in my motorhome I found that while camping it sometimes in necessary to have a back up supply of propane when it is difficult to unhook and go out an explore to find a place to fill the attached propane tank.

I came across someone in a YouTube video using a composite propane tank that they said was much lighter and easier for them to use. I googled composite tanks and found a company that sold them, so I ordered one online and a week later I had it. It looks great, smaller than the bigger steel tanks and very light (there are larger sizes if that is what someone desired). So, off I went to get it filled and my usual place looked at it and said they would not be able to fill it due to possible safety issues. I understand it is their business and appreciate that they want to be safe and keep me safe, but this has been safety tested and has been approved for use.
My question, has anyone else had experience with these composite tanks and were you able to get them refilled?
TIA
Jim
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

We keep a copy of the propane industry training manual in our library. I personally uploaded it a few years back. In the manual, it does discuss these composite propane cylinders and how to refill them. This information starts on page 52 of the manual.

While I was rereading this manual, on page 54 it makes mention of special training required for filling composite cylinders and "maybe" a different permit for such. Not sure of this though, and you may can read it and see.

Here is the link to the manual in our library that can be downloaded and read.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...do=file&id=214

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Team

When I looked on the manufacturers website for these composite cylinders, they had a "find refiller" option.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/support/find-filler/

EDIT: Their website also has a download link to the refill certificate they say you can download and take to your propane refiller. As per their website

Find a filler

All propane cylinders are shipped empty. The tool below will help you find a local propane retailer to fill your cylinder. Since composite cylinders are still new to some areas, download a copy of our filling certificate and bring it with you to your propane retailer. This certificate contains valuable information regarding our Department of Transportation approval.

https://vikingcylinders.com/wp-conte...icate_2017.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply WMTIRE, I did see the refill on their website. Only three came up around me - 30 to 40 miles away. I could of course go there and that would be great to have my tank filled. The issue that bothers me is that when I am in a less populated area where I would need to use this how far would I have to go. And yes I will have to figure that out when it happens. I feel my solution for carrying extra propane was probably not a good solution for me. I should have researched it more, again thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa77 View Post
Thanks for the reply WMTIRE, I did see the refill on their website. Only three came up around me - 30 to 40 miles away. I could of course go there and that would be great to have my tank filled. The issue that bothers me is that when I am in a less populated area where I would need to use this how far would I have to go. And yes I will have to figure that out when it happens. I feel my solution for carrying extra propane was probably not a good solution for me. I should have researched it more, again thanks for the enlightenment.

I edited my post #3 above. From the Viking website they have a downloadable link that they say you can take to any propane refiller that explains their DOT permit for such. Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try on your local refillers and see.

You may want to reread post # 3 above with the links. Good luck

Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #6

Yes, understood. The certificate was still attached with the zip tie thing. I took it off and let them read it. The operator said he would contact the right people in the organization to see what they had to say. I stopped by yesterday, about two weeks later, and he said he has not gotten a final decision, but it is leaning towards no.

Now the actual events unrelated to why this place will not fill it. I did take it somewhere else where they didn't seem to read too much into it and they did fill it. This place wasn't as close to home and will certainly not be close when on the road. I feel that someday this will be a more common practice, but for now I will just have to keep trying the hit or miss tactic.

I appreciate you helping research wmtire.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
D W

Looked at these cylinders previously. Other than weight, there is no real advantage to them. According to DOT-SP 12706 they still require requalification every 10 years, or visual inspection every 5 years, and they have a mandatory condemnation at 15 years from the date of manufacture. On top of that they are awfully expensive.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

D W... you are right, I only got it because it was smaller and lighter and seemed like it would be easier to move around, even my wife can move it easier. Again, I did not do my research and just tried to force something that isn't there. In 5 years have to get recertified, so I have more work to do with it than it is worth.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Looked at these cylinders previously. Other than weight, there is no real advantage to them. According to DOT-SP 12706 they still require requalification every 10 years, or visual inspection every 5 years, and they have a mandatory condemnation at 15 years from the date of manufacture. On top of that they are awfully expensive.
Quote:
D W... you are right, I only got it because it was smaller and lighter and seemed like it would be easier to move around, even my wife can move it easier. Again, I did not do my research and just tried to force something that isn't there. In 5 years have to get recertified, so I have more work to do with it than it is worth.

I had read the DOT-SP 12706 which did state ten years before a pressure test recertification, but the manufacturers website says it is 5 years as JoePa stated, which DOT-SP 12706 also states is 5 years when done without a pressure test. It is kind of confusing.

Taken from Viking website:

How do I requalify my cylinder?Viking Cylinders propane tanks must be periodically requalified. We are the only composite LPG cylinder that can be requalified by visual inspection (a pressure test is not required). Requalification must be done by an authorized facility once every five years. You can learn more about requalification and find a requalifier here. Note: Valves do NOT need to be replaced for requalification.

Taken from SP-12706

b.REQUALIFICATION TESTING: At least every 10 years, each cylinder must be visually inspected and proof pressure tested. The retest and inspection must be performed with the outer casing in place. Persons performing requalification functions must comply with § 180.205(b).

(5)Alternatively, cylinders may be requalified every 5 years using external visual inspection in accordance with paragraph 7.b.(2) of this special permitin lieu of the pressure testing of paragraph 7.b.(1) of this special permit under the following conditions:(i)Cylinders must be used exclusively in service that is commercially free from corroding components; or(ii)Cylinders used in LPG gas service must meet the requirement limits in Table 1 of ASTM 1835, Standard Specification for Liquefied Petroleum (LP) Gases or an equivalent standard containing the same limits

Old 05-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
I have discovered a light weight composite propane cylinder. When traveling in my motorhome I found that while camping it sometimes in necessary to have a back up supply of propane when it is difficult to unhook and go out an explore to find a place to fill the attached propane tank.

I came across someone in a YouTube video using a composite propane tank that they said was much lighter and easier for them to use. I googled composite tanks and found a company that sold them, so I ordered one online and a week later I had it. It looks great, smaller than the bigger steel tanks and very light (there are larger sizes if that is what someone desired). So, off I went to get it filled and my usual place looked at it and said they would not be able to fill it due to possible safety issues. I understand it is their business and appreciate that they want to be safe and keep me safe, but this has been safety tested and has been approved for use.
My question, has anyone else had experience with these composite tanks and were you able to get them refilled?
TIA
Jim
I bought one about 10 years ago on Amazon and loved it. Unfortunately it was recalled about two years later and couldn't be refilled, out $200. I ended up buying an aluminum 10 lbs one and it works pretty good.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Historic recalls and bans

Numerous brands of fiberglass/composite propane cylinders and tanks have been recalled or outright banned in the past. Propane sales outlets will be aware of this, and not being to tell if yours is one of them, they will err on the side of caution for their own protection.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #12

I used to deliver propane to residences and never had to deal with these tanks. Just an opinion, I'd refrain from buying them for my RV even if they're lighter. Sounds like a "can of worms" I'll stay away from.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #13

I looked at buying a couple of these tanks 2 years ago when I noticed a Canadian supplier had them on sale for half the normal price. Seemed like a really good idea to me. On a hunch, I checked with the regulatory agency in Ontario and was told without hesitation that these composite tanks cannot legally be filled or used in the province. I didn't check other provinces, but I suspect they likely have similar regulations. They told me if I want to save weight to go with an aluminum tank but these are expensive and hard to find. Apparently, some propane outlets will not fill aluminum tanks either because they see very few of them. You could argue with them that aluminum tanks are acceptable but if they still refuse to fill them you are pretty much out of luck.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #14

I have been using 2 Viking tanks for 7 years. I have had no issues. I did plenty of research before hand. This brand has not been a part of any recalls. I refill them at a local propane supplier. They have never had any questions even though the tanks are very obviously not steel. They do not require special filling - no more than 80% just like a steel tank. The "Filling Certificate" actually shows the DOT compliance information. They do require someone special to recertify them.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane