Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseC1006 View Post
How to I pull the board? Or look at it?
What is the make and model of ur WH?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
What is the make and model of ur WH?
It's a Suburban as told in the OP.

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone,

So I have a brand new 304BH with the suburban water heater.

It should be either a SWDE or SWDEL model since the Op also stated they have an electric function:

Quote:
I don’t have one. But I am sure someone else in the campground does. I’m pretty sure its getting power. I attempted to fire once the other day. And ran for a bit. But stopped so I assumed it was up to temp. I did have the electric on as well. Faster recovery time in the am when two of us are getting ready for work. But it never kicked back on after that.

If fridge is the shortened form of refrigerator, where did that "d" come from?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #43
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
How to I pull the board? Or look at it?
On the back of the WH are a bunch of wires leading to a plastic box. The box is either taped to the WH or screwed to the wall. Pull the cover off of the board and look for burned spots near the middle of the board.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
On the back of the WH are a bunch of wires leading to a plastic box. The box is either taped to the WH or screwed to the wall. Pull the cover off of the board and look for burned spots near the middle of the board.

It’s gonna be quite a project to get to the back of the water heater. It’s under my bed and it’s not easy to get to.
JesseC1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #45
54 Years, 13 RV's

Work or not, it will most likely solve your problem. You or an expensive RV tech.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #46

This is what mine looked like after one week.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
This is what mine looked like after one week.....

Wow. Guess I gotta look and pull the board out.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Work or not, it will most likely solve your problem. You or an expensive RV tech.
X2.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 68; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
X2.

It’s a shame I can’t get the dealership to help me. I’m gonna be making a call to the manufacturer soon!
Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #50

Quote:
It’s a shame I can’t get the dealership to help me. I’m gonna be making a call to the manufacturer soon!
See if you can find a local Independent RV Repair facility.

You can probably get FR to allow you to take it to them for the repair. You will just have to pay up front and then wait for reimbursement from FR.

Just an FYI, I think the control board is o the back of the WH so you will need to look for the access door to get to the back without actually removing it.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #51

Quote:
See if you can find a local Independent RV Repair facility.

You can probably get FR to allow you to take it to them for the repair. You will just have to pay up front and then wait for reimbursement from FR.

Just an FYI, I think the control board is o the back of the WH so you will need to look for the access door to get to the back without actually removing it.

The water heater is in my storage compartment behind a little divider. I sure as hell ain’t fitting in there.

I can get to the back of it from under the bed. But hard to do by myself. I’m waiting for my gf to return from AC
Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #52

Quote:
The water heater is in my storage compartment behind a little divider. I sure as hell ain’t fitting in there.

I can get to the back of it from under the bed. But hard to do by myself. I’m waiting for my gf to return from AC
Read my post more carefully, I Did Not tell yo how to get at it, I simply informed you where it was located on the WH itself. How you get to it is your business.

Is it possible to remove the mattress and then lift up the plywood underneath and access it from above? You may have to remove a few screws but that beats the alternative, it seems to me.

(There, NOW Ive made a suggestion on how you might gat at it)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #53

HA HA thanks man. Yeah getting at it from under the bed shouldn't be an issue. Might be a little tight but easy enough. My bed doesn't have the gas shocks on it so I need help. I camped by myself this weekend so I had to wait regardless. I might attempt it tonight.

Quote:
Read my post more carefully, I Did Not tell yo how to get at it, I simply informed you where it was located on the WH itself. How you get to it is your business.

Is it possible to remove the mattress and then lift up the plywood underneath and access it from above? You may have to remove a few screws but that beats the alternative, it seems to me.

(There, NOW Ive made a suggestion on how you might gat at it)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #54

Quote:
It’s gonna be quite a project to get to the back of the water heater. It’s under my bed and it’s not easy to get to.

Best of luck with you issue.

Its amazing where and how FR locates some of the components of the TT.
My heater failed and needed repair. Simple right? Just go outside and open the door and pull out the heater and fix it. NOPE.

Heater is inside under the fridge on a platform. Now the unneeded platform causes the heater to be too high to be pulled out of the hole. The premise is to remove the fridge to get to the heater.

Anyways, just another showing that TT manufacturers have never camped a day in their lives cuz if they had they would not build TT's in this manner.
Either that or they are having engineers making the designs. Always looks great on paper but in real life, not so much. LOL
"Brain Farts sometimes go unnoticed until further Inspection " If they only had a smell.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Either that or they are having engineers making the designs. Always looks great on paper but in real life, not so much. LOL

I have worked with many engineers like that, fortunately I had some good mentors who encouraged me go talk to the machinists and the assembly technicians often. I learned quite a bit about being a “good design engineer” from them.
IMO, every engineer should spend time on the shop floor and in a repair shop, especially early in their career.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
I have worked with many engineers like that, fortunately I had some good mentors who encouraged me go talk to the machinists and the assembly technicians often. I learned quite a bit about being a “good design engineer” from them.
IMO, every engineer should spend time on the shop floor and in a repair shop, especially early in their career.

I should have said some engineers. As with everything not all are bad or good.

Could you design a TT for me that is functional and will be easy to maintain because it was designed with the future in mind? LOL
Thanks for the reply.
"Brain Farts sometimes go unnoticed until further Inspection " If they only had a smell.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #57

Water Heater Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
I should have said some engineers. As with everything not all are bad or good.

Could you design a TT for me that is functional and will be easy to maintain because it was designed with the future in mind? LOL
Thanks for the reply.
(Based on my camper I think they employ more of the “bad” than “good”)

I sure could… but the bill would give you a heart attack and then you would need to find someone to build it.

What we really need is a Tardis Travel Trailer, one that is “bigger on the inside!”
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #58

Water heater is warranted by Suburban, not Forest River, so anyone can fix a warranty issue. Your dealer is busy selling trailers and can maybe get to you about Thanksgiving.

Not sure the panic or even the use of the water heater on propane. These work just fine on 115AC power. Yeah, I want mine to work on both sources but if I'm on shorepower I don't need to be burning gas.

-- Chuck
Old 06-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #59

Talked to Forest River yesterday and they are willing to send me the part I need. Honestly no questions asked really. Kinda surprised me to be honest. I have yet to determine if it is in fact the board itself.

And I get what ya mean while on shore power. I do use electric now. However when two people shower in the am before work the recovery time is very fast when gas is on as well. Its more about that. However my GF is off for the summer (Teacher) so its just me now. Less to worry about.

But with all that said it is brand new and it would be just nice if everything worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Water heater is warranted by Suburban, not Forest River, so anyone can fix a warranty issue. Your dealer is busy selling trailers and can maybe get to you about Thanksgiving.

Not sure the panic or even the use of the water heater on propane. These work just fine on 115AC power. Yeah, I want mine to work on both sources but if I'm on shorepower I don't need to be burning gas.

-- Chuck
Old 06-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #60

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! There might be light at the end of the tunnel for me.

I talked to Forest River yesterday and they gave me a couple of options. The first one was to call "SafeRide" I believe. Mobile RV techs. I have a flyer in my paperwork somewhere at home. I then mentioned that there is an RV dealer close to me who carries some other Forest River Models. The girl on the phone said basically they would reimburse me for whatever as long as there are photos and documentation and all that stuff. The water heater isn't my only issue right now so. However that seems to be an easy fix if it just the board. Might pull it out Friday before I leave for vacation (not with the camper)

But again thanks all! Awesome to see a great group of people helping each other out!

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater