Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
I emailed Suburban today. They won't ship me a new board under the warranty. They are claiming I need to go through the dealer. Ugg.

Lou
Yea I purchased mine from Amazon because it was going to cost me more money in time and gas to get my trailer to a dealer and back.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #22

Water Heater Problem

Quote:
I emailed Suburban today. They won't ship me a new board under the warranty. They are claiming I need to go through the dealer. Ugg.

Lou

Bs. I emailed suburban directly to avoid dealer I didn't buy from. Mailed in board for evaluation last week. It may be at the house now(it's due).

You can pm me if you want and I will forward you a copy of the contact info I have.

It's on my work email.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #23

My camping world is about 110 miles away, i would consult them and not do your own repairs. hook up a pull her there or take your chances.....how much time or money can you afford is the question.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:

Lou
You should be able to go through any Suburban dealer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorky View Post
Yea I purchased mine from Amazon because it was going to cost me more money in time and gas to get my trailer to a dealer and back.
Agreed, by the time you take your unit to a dealer and wait the standard two weeks you are better off ordering the part and repairing yourself. Not to mention the cost of towing both ways. My dealer is almost sixty miles away and at ten mpg that's about fifty bucks round trip. Moral of the story is it's usually cheaper to fix most small things yourself.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
Agreed, by the time you take your unit to a dealer and wait the standard two weeks you are better off ordering the part and repairing yourself. Not to mention the cost of towing both ways. My dealer is almost sixty miles away and at ten mpg that's about fifty bucks round trip. Moral of the story is it's usually cheaper to fix most small things yourself.
Yes, I agree also if you know what the problem is.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #27

Quote:

Lou
I guess they have their procedures, etc. I agree it is a pain. The guy who swapped the new board into my rig had the most trouble accessing the circuits since they were awkwardly under the area to the left of my stove.

Once there, he put the new board in place in perhaps a minute or less. So parts (are the boards $80) and labor (a quarter of an hour or less) were hardly worth the guy's time to come to me.
darkskyseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Bs. I emailed suburban directly to avoid dealer I didn't buy from. Mailed in board for evaluation last week. It may be at the house now(it's due).

You can pm me if you want and I will forward you a copy of the contact info I have.

It's on my work email.

Finally got my new board back...took a couple weeks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #29

I still have to call. Thanks for the info.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #30

I'm in wv renting a 2003 Salem. Know literally nothing about it. Came back to the camper after work to shower. Turnt the water heater on. The light next to the switch keeps lighting up saying it needs reset. The owner of it has no knowledge on it either. Any information or directions to do so would be appreciated. It's a suburban 10 gallon. Model number is swd10de
cb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb9191 View Post
I'm in wv renting a 2003 Salem. Know literally nothing about it. Came back to the camper after work to shower. Turnt the water heater on. The light next to the switch keeps lighting up saying it needs reset. The owner of it has no knowledge on it either. Any information or directions to do so would be appreciated. It's a suburban 10 gallon. Model number is swd10de
I believe the light that comes on (between the gas and electric switches) means the heating element did not light.

Turn on the switch and go outside quickly. If you do not hear "click click click" then the control board may be bad. Of course there are other things to check, like gas supply, etc.
darkskyseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb9191 View Post
This link explains the operation of the SWDE Suburban water heaters. It may give you some ideas on what to check for the reason the fault/reset light is on...as well as other things.

You may can use the electric heating element if your propane side is not working. It's all in the link below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskyseeker View Post
I believe the light that comes on (between the gas and electric switches) means the heating element did not light.

Turn on the switch and go outside quickly. If you do not hear "click click click" then the control board may be bad. Of course there are other things to check, like gas supply, etc.
The electric heating element is actually 120 volt AC. You may have meant the gas burner, which is what the reset/fault lamp indicates is not ignited. It's explained in the link I posted above.

Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Is there water in the tank? Has the reset gone off? Little black buttons can be pressed to reset. It is inside the door outside.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #35

My 2017 rockwood 5r did the exact same thing. Circuit board resister burnt. FR rep approved warranty work at local FR dealer.
dragonwhirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #36

UH, Oh, here I go. Did a two day before leaving my yard check up as I always do. On the check list is to always connect the water line and assure water is flowing from all ports. Kitchen sink hot/cold, bath sink hot/cold, bathtub hot/cold, outside kitchen hot/cold. So all ports checked for flow before leaving home. Get to campsite, hook up electrical power, assure water flow from all faucets, all is well. Purge gas lines using stove burners, all is well. Turned on electric water heater switch which should start electric water heatingSometime element. NO hot water after 30 minutes, maybe lukewarm. Kick in the gas burner after assuring that gas is at the water heater. I had used the stove burners to get LP gas flowing. Ah, Ha, we have a gas torch at the water heater, well not much warm water though. It's been running on gas for 30+ minutes now and I have lukewarm water. I found out that the gas burner will not light/burn IF the electric switch is not on. The electric heater does not work at all. Not any warm water. Will pull and check the electric element tomorrow a.m. I'm thinking that the gas burner on the water would warm up enough water to take a quick shower, but no. I faithfully ran water through all faucets before turning on the electric element in the water heater. Any ideas?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
UH, Oh, here I go. Did a two day before leaving my yard check up as I always do. On the check list is to always connect the water line and assure water is flowing from all ports. Kitchen sink hot/cold, bath sink hot/cold, bathtub hot/cold, outside kitchen hot/cold. So all ports checked for flow before leaving home. Get to campsite, hook up electrical power, assure water flow from all faucets, all is well. Purge gas lines using stove burners, all is well. Turned on electric water heater switch which should start electric water heatingSometime element. NO hot water after 30 minutes, maybe lukewarm. Kick in the gas burner after assuring that gas is at the water heater. I had used the stove burners to get LP gas flowing. Ah, Ha, we have a gas torch at the water heater, well not much warm water though. It's been running on gas for 30+ minutes now and I have lukewarm water. I found out that the gas burner will not light/burn IF the electric switch is not on. The electric heater does not work at all. Not any warm water. Will pull and check the electric element tomorrow a.m. I'm thinking that the gas burner on the water would warm up enough water to take a quick shower, but no. I faithfully ran water through all faucets before turning on the electric element in the water heater. Any ideas?
Sounds like the crossover valve may be open. See this thread below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #38

Just to clarify: I DO NOT have a cross-over valve, I AM sure of that. Brand name, model #, and photos tomorrow morn. At this time the gas side has heated up water rather well.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #39

In reading the posts here I am convinced I need to replace the board on my 2018 Rockwood 2440WS 5er hot water heater which will not light when trying to use it in gas mode. My unique problem is I am in Mexico for 5 months and when I sent a note to the Suburban rep mentioned in one of the post I got a reply they would not help me and I needed to get to an authorized service center. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas - I am in Rosarito, MX which is 50 miles S of San Diego and breaking down my rig and crossing back over the border is not a possibility - would rather take cold showers for 5 months LOL.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #40

Honestly your best bet is to order one on Amazon for $80 and count your losses.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater