Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Question Water Heater Questions

Hello guys,

I have a Cherokee 274BH, I have only stayed in it 2 weekends since I bought it 6 weeks ago. I am plugged into shore power since I leave it on a campground all the time. I am a newbe at this so bear with me. From what I understand it works off electric and gas. It has a on/off button at the water heater when you take the door off and also a button on the inside of the camper to cut it on.

I used it both weekends to shower and it worked fine. The issue I run into, the hot water doesn't last very long. I have to cut it off while I am washing. I didn't seem to have to do that when I had my GreyWolf camper. Remember I am new to this camping thing.

Should I just get used to this or is there anything I can adjust to make this any better? Will I have to upgrade the heater to have a long supply of hot water?
MICHAEL G WARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

If it is a Suburban water heater, which by your description it is, you can use gas and electric at the same time. I turn the one on outside after the water is connected and the tank is full. Then before getting a shower, turn on the gas switch inside. Then a basic Navy shower. Get wet, turn off and soap up, then turn on and rinse off. We get 2 showers done this way. Ours is a 6 gallon tank. Some are bigger at 10,12 and I think 16 gallons.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

This will make the water pressure feel stronger. Then you wouldn't have to turn it on full blast. Not having it on full blast will make the hot water last longer.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ow-177916.html

Is it very hot when you only have hot water on? Maybe you can adjust the heater so the water is warmer but I don't beleive that is a common problem.

Try not to start a shower when the water heater is heating the water.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL G WARREN View Post
Hello guys,

I have a Cherokee 274BH, I have only stayed in it 2 weekends since I bought it 6 weeks ago. I am plugged into shore power since I leave it on a campground all the time. I am a newbe at this so bear with me. From what I understand it works off electric and gas. It has a on/off button at the water heater when you take the door off and also a button on the inside of the camper to cut it on.

I used it both weekends to shower and it worked fine. The issue I run into, the hot water doesn't last very long. I have to cut it off while I am washing. I didn't seem to have to do that when I had my GreyWolf camper. Remember I am new to this camping thing.

Should I just get used to this or is there anything I can adjust to make this any better? Will I have to upgrade the heater to have a long supply of hot water?
It's most likely a 6 gals tank. Can't take home style showers.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

if you run electric only recovery times will be longer. Run the gas and electric together and let the water heater run as it is designed to do. it will run off gas when needed for quicker recovery and maintain off electric when not being used. As others have stated it is only 6 gallons of water. quick showers or military showers and don't do back to back showers or shower after dishes etc.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

You may have had a 10 gal tank in the Grey Wolf and now have a 6 gal tank in the Cherokee. That would make quite a difference.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Check your bypass valve on the back of the water heater to make sure it is completely closed. Also check that your exterior shower valves are both closed. ( if you have one) This can allow cold water to mix directly with the hot reducing the length of time of hot water.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #8

How do I know what size tank I have? Also what would be a good replacement that would one give me more hot water and two fit where the factory one is?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #9

Use gas and electric at the same time. Much faster recovery.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
How do I know what size tank I have? Also what would be a good replacement that would one give me more hot water and two fit where the factory one is?
Give us the model number of your heater and we’ll tell you its capacity.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Use gas and electric at the same time. Much faster recovery.
I was using gas and electric.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Give us the model number of your heater and we’ll tell you its capacity.
I am not at the location of the camper. I am going down to the coast this weekend and I will get the model and make and post it. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Hello guys,

The operation of your wate rheater is explained in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

and make sure your bypass (and especially the crossover valve) are correct as per this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Look outside on the water heater itself and/or the inside of the hatch door and get the model number. The number in it will be the gallon size (ie SW6DE would be a six gallon tank. SW10DE is 10 gallon, SW12DE is twelve gallon, etc))

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater