Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

Water heater -what am I forgetting?

Hi all,
I refilled my propane tanks for the first time. Now heat isn't kicking on. I have gas at stove.
What am I forgetting?
Does the main switch in the kitchen need to be up or down?
I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf and am a total newbie at this. First trip, first trailer.
Thanks in advance.
Brenda
Hamptonone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #2

make sure the main valve has been turned back on at the tank. Standard procedure the tech shuts the main valve off before they fill. Also may have to bleed the unit a few minutes if it has been off light the stove first and let it burn a few minutes and that should help purge the link

Good luck and happy camping
Ron
RFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonone View Post
Hi all,
I refilled my propane tanks for the first time. Now heat isn't kicking on. I have gas at stove.
What am I forgetting?
Does the main switch in the kitchen need to be up or down?
I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf and am a total newbie at this. First trip, first trailer.
Thanks in advance.
Brenda
Sorry... but what are you calling "the main switch in the kitchen" for those of us who have never been in an Alpha Wolf?

Do you hear the furnace blower come on?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Sorry... but what are you calling "the main switch in the kitchen" for those of us who have never been in an Alpha Wolf?

Do you hear the furnace blower come on?
There is a switch in the kitchen. It flips up to run
the AC and down to run the fireplace.
Yes, I can hear and see the gas fire up/pilot light go on after pressing the reset buttons. I wanted about ten min and felt the panel on the outside and it seemed to still be on. After about 20 min I turned on the hot water and got nothing but cold water.

I then went back outside and took the panel off and the pilot was out again. I pressed the reset buttons again, but it didn't light the pilot again.
I've tried reading the book and watching YouTube videos but nothing seems to help.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

what does a switch for AC and the fireplace have to do with the furnace? Then you mention hot water heater. None of these interact except the furnace and water heater both use propane. Did you bleed the lines by lighting the stove? When you connect the tank make sure everything is off inside before you open the tank valve. If there's too much flow the tank safety will shut off.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes, I can hear and see the gas fire up/pilot light go on after pressing the reset buttons. I wanted about ten min and felt the panel on the outside and it seemed to still be on. After about 20 min I turned on the hot water and got nothing but cold water.

I then went back outside and took the panel off and the pilot was out again. I pressed the reset buttons again, but it didn't light the pilot again.
I've tried reading the book and watching YouTube videos but nothing seems to help.
Now I'm confused... are you talking about the furnace or the water heater? There are no reset buttons on a furnace. And the furnace has nothing to do with producing hot water.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Site Team

I assume you mean water heater as per the thread title.

If you heard the gas ignite/burner going, then it's also possible you don't have the bypass valves correct or something else. Please read this thread link below

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-103381.html

Is this your first time using the water heater?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

5picker
I think Mr Dan is just as confused as you are.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hamptonone
Is this the first time you have used the water heater?

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Full disclosure:
The original title was "Heatet[sic] -what am I forgetting?" Many members call their furnace their heater. I haven't seen a water heater referred to as plain old "heater". I read the text of the OP and made the incorrect assumption by the clues given that the subject was Furnace. So I changed the title to Furnace. I asked the "what switch" question. When the answer came and more clues like "I turned on the hot water and got nothing but cold water", I decided we weren't in Kansas anymore and changed the title to "Water Heater". Now someone might be able to solve the mystery possibly with bypass valve questions, etc.
Back to ye.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Full disclosure:
The original title was "Heatet[sic] -what am I forgetting?" Many members call their furnace their heater. I haven't seen a water heater referred to as plain old "heater". I read the text of the OP and made the incorrect assumption by the clues given that the subject was Furnace. So I changed the title to Furnace. I asked the "what switch" question. When the answer came and more clues like "I turned on the hot water and got nothing but cold water", I decided we weren't in Kansas anymore and changed the title to "Water Heater". Now someone might be able to solve the mystery possibly with bypass valve questions, etc.
Back to ye.
Thank you for the Full Disclosure.
It all makes sense now.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Full disclosure:
Back to ye.
Thanks,
After visiting this thread a few times back and forth, I thought I must be nuts.

To the OP, please clarify if you are trying to get the water heater working and post the make/model.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum Brenda.
I also have a alpha Wolf.
Like a few people have suggested light the stove top to make sure you have the gas line purged.
Go out at the hot water heater and lift up on the pressure relief valve to make sure you have water in the hot water tank.
Go back inside and push the button that says hot water or something like that you should hear it lite.

Do you have the pantry in yours?? if you do make sure that door is shut when you bring in the slide.

Have fun with the trailer and be safe.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #13

One thing you might check (it happened to me) is make sure your propane tank valve is turned on. Typically when refilling the tanks, the folks with that task turn off the Propane Tanks off while filling, then do not open them when you leave. All the other suggestions above are spot on
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
One thing you might check (it happened to me) is make sure your propane tank valve is turned on. Typically when refilling the tanks, the folks with that task turn off the Propane Tanks off while filling, then do not open them when you leave. All the other suggestions above are spot on
The OP did say (post #1) they have gas at the stove.......
Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
The OP did say (post #1) they have gas at the stove.......
True , thought maybe it was residual -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #16

Quote:

Brenda that switch would not affect the water heater. It sounds like you water heater has been bypassed and is in the winter position. You may have to change the positions of the bypass valves.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #17

Double checked and it's on.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

This sounds like it might be the thing. When I purchased the RV it had been winterized.

I have looked at the water heater area and do NOT find a switch to turn it of winter setting. I've been doing some reading on this issue and think it might be the issue. (I'm certain it's something I'm doing or not doing.)
Would this turn on/turn off be anywhere else?

Brenda
Old 03-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Brenda that switch would not affect the water heater. It sounds like you water heater has been bypassed and is in the winter position. You may have to change the positions of the bypass valves.
Any idea where the bypass valve is?
Brenda
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Any idea where the bypass valve is?
Brenda

Did you ever read the link posted way back in post #7 of this thread. It explains what and where you may find the bypass valves?

Here it is again:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote