Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Water heater without propane?

Hi all, last few trip we noticed that we get a lot fumes from the water heater in the bedroom. The bed is basically right over the water heater system, guessing i need to reseal with silicone the whole under bead area? Any other ideas welcomed.
Looked through the owners manual and it does say you can run the "electric" element but in a later sentence it says to turn on the propane. The igniter kept trying over and over to light when I turned off the propane. So do the water heaters in this model only run on propane?
The heater for the rv runs great with no fumes, doe that one just run on electric? Could not find that answer in the owners manual.

2011 Forest River
WPT 25 Ultra Toy hauler

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

SLS
SLSTRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have a Suburban brand tank type water heater, your switch for the electric may be outside on the face of the water heater. This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

When you say you turned off the propane above, do you mean at the propane cylinders, or the switch to the water heater?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you have a Suburban brand tank type water heater, your switch for the electric may be outside on the face of the water heater. This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

When you say you turned off the propane above, do you mean at the propane cylinders, or the switch to the water heater?

Most excellent write up and explanation, thank you very much WMTire

SLS
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Finally had time to try and get the water heater going without propane but there is not any where any kind of switch that tuns on the water heater, possibly this model does not have that option?
Also found out that the rv heater does not work with out propane either.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

All RV furnaces are propane only. Some also have a heat pump in the a/c.
Did you look for a rocker switch on the WH?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTRES View Post
Finally had time to try and get the water heater going without propane but there is not any where any kind of switch that tuns on the water heater, possibly this model does not have that option?
Also found out that the rv heater does not work with out propane either.
If you have a panel where it shows tank levels ,,battery level,,, look there . Mine has a switch there that turns the propane water heater on or off. The elect switch is at the heater. Turn the panel one off,,,the elect one on,,, and you will just be on elect. Please make sure the air is bled out of the tank or you could burn up the elect element. If there is no elect switch(that I know of) in the water htr compartment, you most likely do not have the elect option.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Make and model number of the water heater will help. There is a WH_Service and Training Manual for all Suburban water heaters in the Library section of this forum.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=210
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #8

drizzling all wek so far, will look at it one more time but did not see anything or any kind of switch behind the outside door/compartment, will take a picture to show you guys and also look at the vin and model. Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

This is the type of switch in my trailer and it's placed by the sink on the side of the counter.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTRES View Post
This is the type of switch in my trailer and it's placed by the sink on the side of the counter.

That is for gas operation - if light stays on after trying to light the burner it means FAULT and heater did NOT light (usually three tries before it defaults)

The switch does not remain lit continuously while in operation
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

remove the outside WH cover. Look down at the lower left hand corner for a small rocker switch. If not there it is gas only. Also look in your electric breaker box. If you don't find one labeled WH your's is gas only. Your furnace is defiantly gas only. Turn the switch on, the light will come on and go out in about one min if it lights. If the red light stays on the WH is not lit.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

Thank you all, for sure mine is gas only.

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater