Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I found an opening I bet most people have overlooked. The outside refrig vents. If you look up at the outer plastic panel there are several rows with dozens of mice size openings. My fix was to hot glue pieces of course plastic filter fabric, similar to a pond filter over the inside of the holes. Takes a little time and calculations to make it work because it had to be folded. Have not seen a mouse in the house since.
Are you talking about the vent on the side (I've got that one sealed like you) or the vent on the roof (didn't think of screening that one off)?

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis

Are you talking about the vent on the side (I've got that one sealed like you) or the vent on the roof (didn't think of screening that one off)?
The side panel, I had seen signs they visited that area in the past and there are passages all over from there. Did not do the top vent.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
myth. ive seen nests made of the stuff.
I've seen nests made with "other" dryer sheets, but never with Bounce. This is one (of only a few) products that I won't substitute for "store brand". At least for this purpose...

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I found an opening I bet most people have overlooked. The outside refrig vents. If you look up at the outer plastic panel there are several rows with dozens of mice size openings. My fix was to hot glue pieces of course plastic filter fabric, similar to a pond filter over the inside of the holes. Takes a little time and calculations to make it work because it had to be folded. Have not seen a mouse in the house since.
Thanks, thats what we are thinking. Problem is we have to take one of the wheels off it is in the way. We also had a blow out last year on a bridge under construction so we were not able to pull over right away. We did not see any damage, but maybe time to relook. That is the side I think they are coming in. I had another little critter in the trap this morning. The traps on the other side were clear. Thanks for the help!!
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
I've seen nests made with "other" dryer sheets, but never with Bounce. This is one (of only a few) products that I won't substitute for "store brand". At least for this purpose...

Maybe these CT mice like a nice smelling nest!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #26

UPDATE!!!
First Night that I tried the Mint extract and at 5AM this morning NO MICE in any traps. It's a good sign. I think I also found the entry point. Put some on top of the wheels on the side of the frig. Behind the frig, in heater ducts, by water heater, under stove top,behind stove(kitchen in slide out)oh and the camper smells good too...... So far so good. Thanks again everyone I have so many great options.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #27

So you think that the fridge side vent was the entry point? We also do the pepermint oil cotton balls when we winterize, and we always pull the cover off and stick a couple inside that vent compartment.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #28

mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
So you think that the fridge side vent was the entry point? We also do the pepermint oil cotton balls when we winterize, and we always pull the cover off and stick a couple inside that vent compartment.
We think in is under the frig, or wheel well. We had a blow out last year, and we did not see any damage to the wheel well, but now we are going to pull both wheels off and really inspect to see of there was damage that we missed. What I don't understand is why now when it sat all winter, maybe with all the snow we had they could'nt get in. Oh well I plan to keep up with this and with some luck they will go away and not come back.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #29

Get a cat. Ours works better than anything you can buy in the stores.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #30

cat

[QUOTE=Bill_C;126532]Get a cat. Ours works better than anything you can buy in the stores.[/QUOTE

We can't have cats my daughter and I are both highly allergic to the cat hair. We are dog people anyway. They go biking, hiking, and kayaking with us. I don't think a cat would enjoy that.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #31

IRISH SPRING bar soap!! We take a bar of soap, shave it into "bowls" made out of foil, and place all over inside the camper.
OUR STORY: We started putting the soap in our garden to keep out deer and other critters - which also works. After opening the pop-up camper 2 springs in a row, and finding multiple nests and droppings, we decided to try the soap, since mothballs did not work at all. The soap kept the mice away over the winter (and between trips)! We saved an entire day by not having to disinfect the camper for every trip!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #32

UPDATE:
3 days now with no mice in traps or signs. I'm making mice bags to hang in areas of the camper. Bought mess bags (3 pack for 1.49) Cotton balls and mint oil. I'm sewing smaller bags filling with cotton bags and thumbtacking or taping up so all I have to do is go in and drop some oil on to them once in awhile. I think the problem is taken care of. Thanks again everyone for all the great hints. I still may use some of the other for the long winter months.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #33

We read somewhere that putting bounce dryer sheets in your camper will keep out bugs and rodents, we tried it and never had a problem. We had a popup first, and I put one between the mattress and bottom, put them in cupboards, etc and never saw a bug or mouse dropping. We used the same in our Roo expandable with the same results, and it makes it smell good as well. I put extra ones in over the winter when it was being stored, then replaced them during camping season, but used less of them.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #34

We have always used 'Bounce' dryer sheets in our trailers (current and past). We put sheets in and around every nook and cranny in the trailer.I can't confirm if they are completely effective, but we have never seen any evidence of mice in our trailers. We even had a tent trailer stored in a grassy area near several bushes, and we never saw any evidence (mouse-presents) of mice in the unit. The added bonus is that our unit always smells nice and fresh.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
We have always used 'Bounce' dryer sheets in our trailers (current and past). We put sheets in and around every nook and cranny in the trailer.I can't confirm if they are completely effective, but we have never seen any evidence of mice in our trailers. We even had a tent trailer stored in a grassy area near several bushes, and we never saw any evidence (mouse-presents) of mice in the unit. The added bonus is that our unit always smells nice and fresh.
We tried this one and it did not work, the mice made nest with it. Yes, I used bounce brand and I used the original sent like someone told me to.
The mint oil is working great I have not seen any now for almost a week.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #36

Several years ago woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of mice chewing some where. Bought some traps the next morning and caught three mice. Never could find where they got in or what they were chewing on. During that time was storing it in a friend's field. Past several years in a storage lot, haven't had any problems. Wayne
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #37

I have 0 experience with camping but I can tell you when I store a vehicle Zest hand soap (bars) have never let me down. A bar on the air cleaner and 1 in the passenger area and another in the trunk. I have a car that has been stored for nearly 20 years with flat tires and grass as high as the roof and not a single turd to be found. I'm not to sure where I will stick em in my TT though.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #38

UPDATE:
I found mint oil on Amazon and have been using. I have not seen any signs of caught and mice in traps. PROBLEM SLOVED!!! Thanks again for all the great tips to take care of this issue. We are now mice free!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #39

mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
IRISH SPRING bar soap!! We take a bar of soap, shave it into "bowls" made out of foil, and place all over inside the camper.
OUR STORY: We started putting the soap in our garden to keep out deer and other critters - which also works. After opening the pop-up camper 2 springs in a row, and finding multiple nests and droppings, we decided to try the soap, since mothballs did not work at all. The soap kept the mice away over the winter (and between trips)! We saved an entire day by not having to disinfect the camper for every trip!
Glad it worked for you. I was very hopeful two winters ago when I heard of that remedy so I bought several bars, cut it up and placed many bowls of it in various locations. Come spring I found much of it eaten and a note requesting several different flavors next time. Lots of damage and mouse pee & poop, you would at least expect them to go outside to relieve themselves. Also tried Bounce , I think it just made them giddy. This was in a pop-up. We have a 233S Roo now and want to keep it mouse free.I will try the mint.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onei View Post
Glad it worked for you. I was very hopeful two winters ago when I heard of that remedy so I bought several bars, cut it up and placed many bowls of it in various locations. Come spring I found much of it eaten and a note requesting several different flavors next time. Lots of damage and mouse pee & poop, you would at least expect them to go outside to relieve themselves. Also tried Bounce , I think it just made them giddy. This was in a pop-up. We have a 233S Roo now and want to keep it mouse free.I will try the mint.

I keep it at the point that my eyes tear when I go in the camper. I also put it on a sponge and put in the heating ducts as I too found mouse poop there. I found as long as I keep the sent level high it works great When we use the camper I put most of them in ziplock baggies till we get back home and then I return them to their places. It is so nice not going into the camper and finding that mess.