Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Gascat

2009 Palomino Puma roof questions

Hi.
I have just purchased my first RV... a 2009 Palomino Puma 27ft. Fifth Wheel.
I live in Australia and this RV was built in the USA but set up for Australia including 4 long thin Uni Solar panels sruck to the roof.
After searching the internet in vain without any success, my questions are...

1. After being stuck down for 10 years, are these panels likely to come of without damaging the rubber membrane? I read that Uni Solar are not in business anymore so cant ask them.
2. What is the structural composition of my roof? IE... timber frame ith a solid top ply or some other type of construction. I would really like to know what and how good the structure is that my ladder is fixed to and how safe it is to walk on. Knowing this will also help me figure out the method of fixing new solar panels eventually.

Thanks... Wayne
Gascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome Wayne to FRF.

Your roof is likely EPDM or TPO, either way it all depends on what compound they used to stick the panels down as to whether you're going to damage the material when trying to remove them.

Most people use Acetone, Mineral Spirits, or Denatured Alcohol, so you may be able to use one of those to soften the adhesive when trying to remove the panels. I've used Acetone and Denatured Alcohol on EPDM and TPO membranes without harm. I don't recommend letting it soak into the roof, so clean it off with soap and water as soon as practical.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Team

roof structure will certainly be wood, since Pumas are stick and tin construction.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino, puma, roo, roof