Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #1

2017 Apex Nano 193BHS - Roof patching/repairs

We just bought the above a couple weeks ago and are going over it in a lot more detail before our first outing.

We started looking over the roof and found some issues (water drops in the pics are condensation - early AM)...

IMG_0744:
- Red box shows where they ran out of the vinyl trim insert and just covered it with butyl tape. Going to pull this piece out and replace with proper length (like this). Do I just use butyl tape over the ends when it's replaced?
- Yellow boxes are two spots that have the warping like seen in this post, but only two small spots. What is the correct caulk to use to seal this?

745:
- Someone (prior owner or factory?) covered the four screw holes in the top vent for the fridge. Worry about these and cover them up with more butyl tape, or are they fine?

747:
- Screw heads around skylight over shower. (Even though it looks like water intrusion has happened, it's morning dew/condensation.) Cover the screw heads with butyl tape again?

749:
- Butyl tape around vents has started to split.

750:
- Butyl tape at aide wall/roof seam has started to split.

I already bought:
3/4" butyl tape
Acetone for cleaning
2" EternaBond tape
A rubber roller

What's the proper way to handle these repairs? Struggle removing the existing butyl tape and replace it? Use acetone to clean and lay it over top?

Should I be using just enough of the 3/4" tape I bought for small areas, and then the Eternabond for wider areas or around the vents?

Also, I think we have EPDM roof covering. Is there a preferred cleaner for it? We already scrubbed with Dawn and one of these and a scrub brush, but it's still pretty dirty looking (like in the last pic).

I still need to order the screw channel trim and the caulk for the ripples (need recommendations).

Thanks!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	238134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	238135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	238136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	238137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	238138  

Old 09-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

Also just noticed this puncture hole. Looks like prior owner/factory used a too long lag bolt to mount TV bracket, backed it out, repositioned with a shorter bolt, and dabbed on a little clear caulk.

Should we just keep up with the clear caulk? Didn't want it to become a big project...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	238157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	238158  

Tags
repair, repairs, roo, roof