Old 04-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

2018 WolfPup 18TO

Well I was hoping I wouldnt have to make this post for a while, but here we are anyways lol

Crawled under the camper today to take a look and noticed the underbelly in a spot sagging due to water. Its the tarp type underbelly and not the coroplast stuff. The tarp is sandwhiched between the metal fram rails and the plywood. I want to cut the tarp to let water drain. However how would I path the slit up once I am done so it doesnt keep opening up? I cant replace it due to how it is installed. I am not if there is insulation under it or not or if it just an airgap? I want to dry it out asap, should I stick a blow dryer on warm up there and let it run for a while to blow that warm/dry air around?

As for the leak. I think I MAY have found it. Looks like the seam on the front drivers side curve split open ever so slightly. Possibly allowing water behind the corner trim piece to run under it then under the plywood and above the tarp. The plywood in that corner feels like there is a small lump possibly due to small swelling from being wet. As the other side feels smooth and that seems looks solid. I am just assuming at this point as i cant find ANY water inside camper.

Attached are pictured
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_123147.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	226681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_123405.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	226682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_123637.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	226683   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_132443.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	226684   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_132459.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	226685  

J8manski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

The first thing I'd do would be to drain that water out of there. Then I'd go looking to make certain you've found the leak. Try running water through all the sinks, showers, etc. one at a time. Then I'd 'water' from over the roof.
That's a lot of water to be from a small gap at the front of the trailer.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #3

I dont disagree that that small a leak shouldnt let that much water in it. However. This was a dry camper when I winterized it. It can maybe hold 1 gal of water in all the lines and traps. And I have not hooked any water up to the camper yet. So all this water is from a external leak letting water in. The top looks excellent shape. And where all the opening are on top, is bone dry inside the camper. Even if that much water trickled along the ceiling and down a wall to get to it, I should see some water damage on the walls. And the opening on roof are in rear of camper while the pool of water is in the front seciont. The underside tarp is sectioned off my cross braces, so if the leak was in the back, itd have to fill every cross seciont till it pooled over to the front. I'm really boggled such a small break in a seam can cause this. But I guess if it was like that from the first freeze, I guess this kuch water could slightly trickle in to fill that. And it being waterproof will keep that water in there forever until the wood absorbs it all. I cut the tarp currently to drain water, which it is. However there is insulation up there which is wet. I just dont know how either A) dry that area or B) replace all the insulation and re-tarp it as the tarp is bewttne the metal frame and the wood frame.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

I'd poke a hole into it and drain it first. A slit is worthwhile to see where the water s coming from. If it's cleaned off, gorilla tape aught to seal it adaquately. I bought a digital camera snake that Bluetooth connects to my iPhone & iPod for looking in tight spaces for about $25. Any water sources near the bulged area? It appears that the holes through the plastic sheet bottom get sealed with the minimal expanding spray foam. Expands coming out the can but not much more during drying. I resealed a few spots under my Wolf Pup.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #5

Just a thought but if it sat all winter ice dams from snow melt could have caused the leak so who knows where its coming from? Do you store it level or at an angle?

I would use gorilla tape to repair a slit or access panel. If that does not stick maybe flexseal tape? I would not use it on the roof but the bottom would fine for the materials you have.
dbledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

I dont disagree the sealing underneath is just minimal spray foam. However this water accumulated while camper sat this past winter. So water has to have gravity on its side to get places and cant be blown up from the rd sort of thing. The filler tube from outside, enters wall and goes directly into a cavity where the water heater and pump is. I'd feel as if water came in there that that hose inside or anything in that area would have some sort of moisture and it doesnt. Then the next plumbing is a water line that goes under the camper through the are that the water is pooling. But that is all filled with antifreeze and the water that comes out of the hole I cut should be red/pink and it's clear. And even if that pipe did burst, theres no way theres that much water in it. The it goes over to the sink which is now in another section under the camera which is dry. Again though, the traps are filled with antifreeze and I'd see water in my cabinets if those froze as all the drain plumbing is inside the camper and does not exit the floor till it gets to the rear of camper where the black and grey tanks are. The slide is on the side of the camper, and I guess if the front of slide leaked is could have made it's way to the middle. I'll have to double check the side tarp pocket sections to see if they are filled or not with water. I know I need to find the leak. That is my second priority however. I am most worried about getting the insulation dried ortaken out. I do not want mold growing in there at all. If I can dry the insulation and underside Itll make it easier to see where the leak is coming from as I can see which side the tarp is wet on and what area insulation is getting wet. Right now it's like a wet cat up there and theres no way I could find a small leak unless it was letting in gallons at a time. I want to stick a hair dryer up ther, but I don't want to make a big hole either. I also dont know what it looks like under the tarp. Can I make another small hole where its dry, tape a hair dryer in there, then the warm dry air blows across all the insulation and exits the hole I cut to drain. That way I have an exit for the air I blow in? But idk how the wood framing is under neither:-/ does it go side to side or front to back? Like rafters in a ceiling i assume?
Old 05-13-2020, 01:31 AM   #7

Well it seems as if maybe I fixed my leak. It was a very difficult one to find and am not 100% sure what fixed my leak. After cutting it open and taking all insulation out of both the main pocket under camper the the small pocket overhang on drivers side of camper. I dried it all out with a hair dryer and tried soaking the camper with a hose to see if I could find the leak. Sadly I had no luck with that. I took the water fill connection panel off the side of the camper to see if it was making in there and it was dry. Same with my electrical plug, that was dry behind it as well. I also crawled inside the camper and looked by the water heater to see if water cam in there and couldnt find anything. I decided to put silicone along that front edge of the camper, and around the water heater. Let that dry and waited for a rain(not long), and I still was getting water on the tarp. I decided to silicone all the sheet metal screw heads at the base of the siding in case water made it in there, and agine waited for rain(not long), and I still got water on the tarp. I decided to walk around camper and just compare everything. I noticed the factory used metal staples around the base of the siding to the underside of the camper to hold things in place. About half of the staples went through siding only while the other half of staples one leg went into the side while the other leg went into the tarp. I never thought this to be the area of issue as other staples were like this and there was no water issues near those staples. I also thought being under the camper, the water would nead to flow UP in order to get on top of the tarp under camper. I decided to lather silicone over all the staples around the camper to seal the penetration they make into the tarp. After a few rains, the water intrusion seems to have diminished quite a bit. It went from there being enough water in tarp where if I pulled my cut open I could get water to trickle out, to not I have to reach my finger way up near the staple to find any dampness now. So water does seem to make it in still, but only droplets that should dry out fairly quickly. I think a big issue with why i had so much water before was due to the insulation. I think the water was wicking up the insulation and saturating it, then it would wick through the 2x4 on the frame rail and then would fill the center compartment that I showed the bulging water bubble. Hard to explain all this or even show it all in pictures. But I replaced all my batt insulation in the front section of the camper with 2" foam insulation glued to the floor of camper to keep it off the tarp. I feel fairly confident I fixed my issue with minimal damage to camper. Few pictures of staples in question before I covered them in silicone. You can see what I mean by either all in the siding or one leg in the tarp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom View Good Staples.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	228916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View Bad Staples.jpg
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	228917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom View Bad Staples.jpg