Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

A Comedy of Errors

OK, since Ive joined this forum it seems like all Im doing is complaining, but again today as Im going over everything that needs to be fixed on our new to us 2015 Legacy sr300 motorhome, I noticed the back ladder has a huge installation issue.
When I attempted to climb the roof prior to purchase I realized the brackets were flimsy at best . Once I started looking at it, it appears the brackets were just installed in the wrong location (about 1 1/2 high), and not allowing the ladder to hang and support its weight on the attached letter (removable lower section). Instead, all the weight was on these flimsy brackets. The pictures will describe this better than me.
Bottom line, it makes you wonder how many more factory hiccups I will find, and how similar they are to other peoples finding?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	247784
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	247785

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	247786

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	247787
troybuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Looks like an easy retrofit of brackets. Provided it still works as it should. Keep looking by the time you get everything corrected you can trade it in on a new rig! lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

Those 'brackets' do not even look like the correct 'brackets'.... location also a huge problem, over time, climbing on that ladder (or hanging stuff from it), those 'brackets' will break at the screws going into your unit. Have it fixed correctly before you do some great damage.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuz View Post
Bottom line, it makes you wonder how many more factory hiccups I will find, and how similar they are to other peoples finding?
I think you’re just beginning to discover your problems. For years you will probably be finding new surprises. It’s not just shoddy workmanship, but some issues are design flaws. You’ll try to understand why something on the RV was designed in such an odd way, then ultimately redesign it yourself to improve fit or function.

As an example, I just recently had to disassemble our motorhome’s front TV mount and drill new holes and reassemble the arm reversed left and right. After a year and a half of frustration in trying to properly position the TV, I finally realized that the builders had installed the TV mount upside down, and it functioned far better after I reversed it.

And among many other things, I had to shorthen the dinette table post 2” and move the base 3” in order for the table to be centered in the booth and at normally accepted proper dining table height. I just don’t understand why the manufacturers do some things the way they do.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #5

Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
And among many other things, I had to shorten the dinette table post 2 and move the base 3 in order for the table to be centered in the booth and at normally accepted proper dining table height. I just dont understand why the manufacturers do some things the way they do.
Here's why:
Shortening posts:
  • Posts were manufactured to that length by the supplier.
  • Forest River Engineering never measured the seats and specified the correct length.
  • Forest River Manufacturing never realized they should have cut the posts off.
Relocating bases:
  • Forest River Engineering may not have specified a location for the bases.
  • Forest River Manufacturing may never have looked at the design drawings or may have been in too much of a hurry to measure the proper location.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Here's why:
Shortening posts:
  • Posts were manufactured to that length by the supplier.
  • Forest River Engineering never measured the seats and specified the correct length.
  • Forest River Manufacturing never realized they should have cut the posts off.
Relocating bases:
  • Forest River Engineering may not have specified a location for the bases.
  • Forest River Manufacturing may never have looked at the design drawings or may have been in too much of a hurry to measure the proper location.
Larry.....the OP was asking about his brackets for the ladder on the rear of his motorhome. Table posts were not the discussion here.

Think you got your signals crossed.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #7

Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Larry.....the OP was asking about his brackets for the ladder on the rear of his motorhome. Table posts were not the discussion here.

Think you got your signals crossed.
My post (#5) was clearly responding to post (#4) which I quoted in my post. Did you not see the quote? Try viewing this thread in your web browser instead of the app which is known to have problems.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #8

On my Berkshire, I have the same ladder and brackets. But, on mine the brackets are rotated 90 degrees compared tp yours. However, I realize that may not fix your problem because they still appear to be in the wrong location, or the ladder has been bent.