Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Alpha Roof Cracking on Edges

2018 Rockwood 2902WS.

I was doing my pre-season visual and noticed that there seems to be some cracking on the roof edges that are going to be addressed. This unit has an Alpha roof. What are your thought s on the best way to take care of this.

Bob

Old 03-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'd say call Alpha. (I have Alpha too). I didn't even know they made brown roofs. Thought they were all white.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We had a post here not long ago with photos just like yours. Turns out it wasn't the roof membrane cracking, it was the sealant cracking away from the membrane where the gutter rail attaches. The owner was certain the membrane was cracked.

Once part of the gutter strip was loosened, it revealed the membrane was fine and the gutter rail simply needed resealed.

We are not there to witness what you are experiencing so maybe yours is different but it would be worth making sure.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We had a post here not long ago with photos just like yours. Turns out it wasn't the roof membrane cracking, it was the sealant cracking away from the membrane where the gutter rail attaches. The owner was certain the membrane was cracked.

Once part of the gutter strip was loosened, it revealed the membrane was fine and the gutter rail simply needed resealed.

We are not there to witness what you are experiencing so maybe yours is different but it would be worth making sure.
Thank you for the response. That isnít something I would have thought of. I can see that it was sealed from the factory.

I will give it a closer look.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's actually what it looks like to me from the photos. Along the left edge of the photos, it appears caulk or similar sealant is lifting away.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #6

People need to realize that the sealants the industry uses and pushes are sub standard to say it nicely .
For your joint from the TPO roof to the rail a quality sealant is needed.
Chemlink M1 is a good choice . Clean the old stuff out , wipe it with alcohol , use a tpo primer then the M1 and forget about it .
I'm in the process of redoing all the caulking and sealants on a brand new rig .
I'm not piling Dicor or whatever junk the dealers or manufacturers are selling . They crack ,shrink and leak from the time they are applied .
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, roo, roof