Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
The Driver

Anyone used something like this to wash RV?

It looks like the annual pollen event is coming to a close in my area and it's time to clean up the outside of the RV.

If you have used something like this tool to wash/wax with, please let us know how it worked for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ryobi.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	285132  
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #2

Wash? With an electric buffer??
Old 03-26-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

That Ryobi is not for washing

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:19 PM   #4
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
Wash? With an electric buffer??
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:19 PM   #5

Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
It looks like the annual pollen event is coming to a close in my area and it's time to clean up the outside of the RV.

If you have used something like this tool to wash/wax with, please let us know how it worked for you.
Don't do it. Anytime you come to a raised edge (corner or trim) you will polish right through the paint before you know it. Lots of people have learned this the hard way.

The green pine pollen storm is an annual event here. In dry years you can see it blowing across the street like snow drifts. When it first falls, it is protein and easily hosed off, but it quickly (48 hours) turns to sticky sugar that doesn't rinse off easily. This year it rained through the pollen season but in prior years I have simply hosed off the cars and trucks and deck and porch every day.

When it does stick, it's easily removed with a pressure washer and a mild detergent like dishwashing liquid or car wash from the auto parts store. Much quicker and easier than using a buffer, as you propose.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:40 PM   #6

I wash with a foam cannon and wax with one of these double sided mops on the telescoping pole with Aero Wash and Wax All. Makes it quick and easy.
https://washwax.com/pages/rv-waterle...h-wash-wax-mop
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:48 PM   #7

telescoping brush that connects to hose and has detergent dispenser

soft bristled... Ive used it on RV, Boat and Truck

Not sure of the brand I got but it is the bristle softness that counts
too stiff and it will scratch

https://www.google.com/search?client...g+washer+brush
Old 03-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Don't do it. Anytime you come to a raised edge (corner or trim) you will polish right through the paint before you know it. Lots of people have learned this the hard way.
Yep, I learned it the hard way too polishing my car with one of those DA polishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I wash with a foam cannon and wax with one of these double sided mops on the telescoping pole with Aero Wash and Wax All. Makes it quick and easy.
The waterless wash technique shown in that link is what started me thinking about a waterless wash with an electric buffer. Still it is probably too risky.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:51 PM   #9

Anyone used something like this to wash RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
Yep, I learned it the hard way too polishing my car with one of those DA polishers.

The waterless wash technique shown in that link is what started me thinking about a waterless wash with an electric buffer. Still it is probably too risky.

With the Aero Wash it takes very little effort to wipe it off and polish with just the mop head. It’s not like a regular wax that needs a lot of elbow grease. You basically dry the spray and polish with one or two wipes.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #10

I use the battery powered version and don’t worry you won’t go thru the paint. This type of orbital polisher don’t move fast enough. Even though some of the old school buffing tools were just a grinder with polish cloth most of the damage came when using polish or cleaner not wax
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #11

buffer

coatings i use on camper call to be buffed off tho acieve shine - been using a like buffer for years with no ill effect, does take 2 pads to do my rig (33 foot) puts very little pressure on unit and beats hand buffing
Alde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:53 AM   #12

Our new favorite is Griot's Rinseless Wash & Wax: https://www.griotsgarage.com/rinseless-wash-wax/ We use it with a microfiber telescoping wash head, the double-bucket method and dry as you go. It seems to do an excellent job keeping the the paint slick, and laying down a good layer of protection. When are black streaks, our go-to is the Star-Brite black streak remover. There are always black streaks.

I wouldn't bother with a buffer. It's way to aggressive on the paint.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #13

No truck wash in your area?

-- Chuck
Old 03-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #14
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
No truck wash in your area?

-- Chuck
I believe I like your line of thinking.
20 miles away, they charge $2.50 per foot, including roof. That works out to $75 and a nice spring drive.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #15

Due to the many acute curved surfaces, I would NEVER use a buffer on our trailer. It will burn the paint off of any "high spot".

Dishwashing liquid and water along with a soft auto brush on a handle will do a very nice job. And one can stand on the ground and get the job done. Be sure and adequately rinse the area after using the soap and water. Regular hose pressure is all that is needed.

Be careful if you choose to use a pressure washer. One would be surprised where water can be forced through various places, windows, frames, joints, etc.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #16

Double sided mop

Quote:
Sounds like a good way to go, but a question. Does the drying side get clogged with removed product before you finish your rig? If so, how do you clean that without interrupting the process? I operate under a no ladder policy re: wife
Old 03-27-2023, 11:10 AM   #17
Canadian Member

A dual action polisher like this will not damage the surface as long as you keep it moving. Just use the right pads for what you are doing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002654I46...v_ov_lig_dp_it

IMO, the waterless wax products are good for in between proper annual detailing with a good wax like Collinite 845.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016frcard View Post
Sounds like a good way to go, but a question. Does the drying side get clogged with removed product before you finish your rig? If so, how do you clean that without interrupting the process? I operate under a no ladder policy re: wife

There is no product to get clogged on the pad, the wet side stays damp and the dry side will eventually get wet as you dry the product but it’s not like conventional wax that dries then gets removed.
You spray it on, wipe it around with the wet side then immediately flip the pad over and dry it, that’s it.
I have a few spare pads and I will usually change the dry side once on my 30’ motorhome if it gets too wet.
It’s amazing wax it lasts and it’s so fast and easy to do whenever I wash it.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:18 AM   #19

Quote:
There is no product to get clogged on the pad, the wet side stays damp and the dry side will eventually get wet as you dry the product but it’s not like conventional wax that dries then gets removed.
You spray it on, wipe it around with the wet side then immediately flip the pad over and dry it, that’s it.
I have a few spare pads and I will usually change the dry side once on my 30’ motorhome if it gets too wet.
It’s amazing wax it lasts and it’s so fast and easy to do whenever I wash it.

X2. I've used this system ever since I bought my class A two years ago. It is easy to use, fast to apply, and does a fantastic job. Well worth the price.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
IMO, the waterless wax products are good for in between proper annual detailing with a good wax like Collinite 845.
Agreed on the sentiment that you should still wax at least once a year. We use Griot's Ceramic Wash with the foam cannon followed by the wax at least once a year, on our entire "fleet."

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote