Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Arched Roof Dicor Touch-up

Hello all,

I'm going to be touching up the lap sealant on my roof for the first time and just had a couple questions for the masses. Yes, I searched and found differing answers to some of my questions.

#1. My roof is arched. Can I still use self leveling lap sealant or do I need the non leveling sealant?

#2. I watched a lot of videos and searched the forum and found several answers. Before applying new lap sealant should I clean with denatured alcohol or xylene? My local shop said to use xylene but on most videos people use the alcohol. Is one better than the other? One video even said to use dicor cleaner first.

#3. How many time can you apply the lap sealant before you have to scrape the old sealant off?

#4. Should I just go big and Eternabond the whole thing?

Thanks
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #2

1) You can use the self leveling lap sealant.
2) I use the dicor cleaner or eternabond cleaner since I have both handy but have seen good reports with both alcohol and xylene as well.
3) The thought is rto remove anything that has lost it's bond with the surface. Anything loose. If it's the second or third time you've done it or it seams there is an excessive amount on whatever your trying to seal, Feel free to remove the excess with razor knife (carefully) and a plastic scraper before applying the new seal.
4) Many have. I have purchased some of the eternabond tape and need to get another roll to be able to do my campers roof which is in the plan. It's new, purchased this past fall.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

Just today I cleaned the rear seam of our fiver to lay some fresh Dicor 501 on it after seeing some splits. There is no mention on the label of Xylene, denatured alcohol or anything else before applying it. It just says clean dirt, rust, oil, etc and let dry. I just used Simple Green followed up with water to clean any residue.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

I saw one dude using windex on a video. I am not recommending it. I am just saying it worked on the video.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

Unless the existing Dicor is just caked with dirt/debris I wouldn't worry about it. Dicor sticks to everything.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Replace lap sealant, whenever possible, with Eternabond. Dicor stays intact for about 3 years, Eternabond 10 years or more.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

we have an arched roof and have used the self leveling dicor when we touched up our roof. We use dawn dish washing soap to clean our roof when we maintain it - the dicor stuck down just fine (although I have heard that dawn will take the wax off the sides so we make a plan to wash/wax the tt the same weekend we do roof maintenance or at least wax the sides where the dawn has dripped down). eternabond is on my to do list.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

As far as removing old lap sealant from an RV roof: I use a heat gun, a hair dryer might work, to soften the lap sealant then use what is known as a "Bondo spreader" to remove the lap sealant. A "Bondo spreader" is nothing more than a flat piece of plastic used to spread Bondo type material. These are available at Wally World, Lowes, and Home Depot in the pain department

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof