Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Dometic does make a slide topper tube support cradle kit which could help should you so desire. (comes in many colors)
You beat me to it! When I get my topper installed it will be a 12 or 14 foot one. I might have this added just to be safe.

As was also mentioned you can over tighten the springs. It looks like the OP has decided his springs are as tight as they should go. That being the case he should try loosening one corner and see if that allows the water to run off.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Retired Electronic Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
As for things getting blown under it, if I noticed anything I would use a high pressure hose nozzle and wash it off. Then let it dry before putting the slide in.

Jim
I must have missed something. One has to drag out a hose, use a ladder/step stool to check and/or spray it, and now has a wet slide-top that takes longer to dry than without a topper; and that's easier than just sweeping it off when up there?
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #23

Rope and a towel + 10-15 minutes to clean off both slides, I'm good with that.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtechnician View Post
I must have missed something. One has to drag out a hose, use a ladder/step stool to check and/or spray it, and now has a wet slide-top that takes longer to dry than without a topper; and that's easier than just sweeping it off when up there?
I have had a foot amputation so a ladder is out of the question. Otthers here can't climb ladders for other reasons.

Drag out a hose? I have one hooked up to the trailer already, just need to disconnect it. However, I normally do this at home on a sunny day. My garden hose is then 5 feet away. I have a wand, 3 feet long, I screw onto the hose and use a high pressure nozzle on the end of it. I can hose down my slide top and never leave the ground. It is similar to his but wasn't so expensive. Think I paid around 15 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58603-Ho...ords=hose+wand

As stated this is normally done at home on a nice day so I go have a couple cups of coffee and when I come back out everything is dry. Can do what I want then.

If at the cg what's the difference? If leaving on a rainy day and didn't have a topper the slide would be wet anyhow. I would close the slide and go even if it is wet. I am not staying an extra day because my slide is wet.

Now, did I miss anything?

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
I have had slide toppers on the last 3 rigs over 15 years. Never once have I had to remove any debris from under the topper?? It's a no brainer if you ask me, get them on all slides!
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I have had slide toppers on the last 3 rigs over 15 years. Never once have I had to remove any debris from under the topper?? It's a no brainer if you ask me, get them on all slides!
I have had pine needles blow under the ones I had. Nothing serious but when cleaning up why not do them also. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #27
Retired Electronic Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post

Now, did I miss anything?

Jim
I'm still missing something. As you said: "As for things getting blown under it, if I noticed anything ... ": How can 'things' be 'noticed' on top in the middle of a long slide if one doesn't look ... can't see on top of our slide from the ground.

A ladder/step-stool may be out of the question for you, but is the simplest solution for some of us. Things blew under our topper when out camping in the woods, not when at home on a 'nice day'.

Everyone to their own. This question has more than one answer, just like 'Chevy or Ford', which generator is best, politics, etc. We have had 9 RVs, some with slide toppers, some without. We prefer without. When the dead bat under the topper came sliding into the coach, the Boss-Lady said 'no more toppers'.
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm still missing something. As you said: "As for things getting blown under it, if I noticed anything ... ": How can 'things' be 'noticed' on top in the middle of a long slide if one doesn't look ... can't see on top of our slide from the ground.

A ladder/step-stool may be out of the question for you, but is the simplest solution for some of us. Things blew under our topper when out camping in the woods, not when at home on a 'nice day'.

Everyone to their own. This question has more than one answer, just like 'Chevy or Ford', which generator is best, politics, etc. We have had 9 RVs, some with slide toppers, some without. We prefer without. When the dead bat under the topper came sliding into the coach, the Boss-Lady said 'no more toppers'.
I can see the top of mine, especially at a cg with a little hill. You are right, things get under when camping but I have trees at home also. It is just I normally choose to clean it when home on a "nice day".

Sorry you trapped a bat, first time I have heard that one, but it could have been worse. It could have been alive! They are tough little critters to catch!

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #29

We have had them on all our RVs. Class A, a TT and a FW. I like them and would not be without them. I really don't know anyone that has them and doesn't like them. I can't see the top of ours but when I run the slide in I look then. I am very happy that I have never had anything on the top of the slides. If I did I would run it back out and take care of it.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #30

Angry

While in flagstaff, AZ, just passing through, I woke up to 10 inches of snow on top the slide out I could not get the slide out to close against the snow accumulation. With no ladder available, I was stuck until most of it melted.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #31

Don't leave home without one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
While in flagstaff, AZ, just passing through, I woke up to 10 inches of snow on top the slide out I could not get the slide out to close against the snow accumulation. With no ladder available, I was stuck until most of it melted.
GPL 7' Compact Folding Ladder - Steps, Ladders & Flag Poles - Outdoor Living - RV Lifestyle

Fits real small where ever you want to put it.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #32

Had one installed on my large slide and had a interesting issue. The factory placed the top rail on at the factory so the awning went right on. The issue is the topper is flat when out and always catches water. I am planning a PVC device to slide in after deployment to get an angle for water drainage. Wonder why the rail was placed low at the factory. Other than that it does a good job.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #33

Buy some small soccer balls and put between the top of the slide and the topper. I have seen this done by several campers. Just don't forget to remove them.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #34

The small balls trick works ...
we had a topper installed on the 2012 Salem we owned and it worked extremely well but in the hot sun the material stretched.

stretched material would recover when it cooled down but if it rained teh weight would cause the material to sit on the roof top.
they protect against leaves, trwigs, some small sticks and the ever popular bird crap.
Remember the roof top for the slide out is what comes into your trailer - I for one do not like natures garbage inside my living space.
the new to us trailer has 2 slide outs without awning toppers but that is a job for next summer at this point.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
X2 - this ladder has saved the day numerous times! This is an accessory that some may question needing. Until you need it -- then you REALLY need it
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #36

Not necessary,but Nice to have! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #37

Anyone have pictures of PVC frame idea. I assume it is shaped like a T running across the length. The ball idea seems like it would just do the ends and cause stretching. I only need 1-2 inches of lift up near the camper.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide