Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 04:05 AM   #1

Awning tear

Awning was left out under pole barn while I was out of town working. Wife came home and found a tear approx. 6-8" left corner along the top near roof. Edge of material is still in the channel but just outside of the channel is where it has torn/frayed from the wind. Any suggestions on how to repair. I guess tape it but I would guess the edge of material still in channel would have to come out and slide it back it, sounds painful, LOL
Racer310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

From your description of the the tear it would seem the best way to make a lasting repair would be to remove the awning material and either replace it or have a shop like the ones that make truck cargo tarps resew the material or cut out the old section and resew the channel cord back in. If the tear were farther out (like I had on my class A) I would use tape.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Have never seen a successful repair of awning when ripped where yours is. And that's where most of them tear. I think they design them that way on purpose😮. So you can live with it until it tears further or replace it now. Lots of videos to show you how if you want to do it yourself. I've done it myself once, and if another one rips I'll probably pay for the install
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

I used some sail repair tape and a sail repair hand stitch thing to make a hasty repair to a torn awning. Lasted around 10 years, and was still holding together ok when I sold the trailer. Didn't look too great, but it did work. I sprayed some of that PVC paint on it like you see on the TV commercials to hide the ugly a little.
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

I used eternabond tape on a small tear in a trailer we had and it seemed to be holding up well. It also comes in colors so you may be able to match the awning.
Gowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

My awning tore about 12 " on my front slide! I used a waxy thread from Michael's about a year ago! Still holding! I bought some awning tape but can't seem to make it stick for long! Any suggestions on the awning tape!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #7

Bought a new 1 from shade pro in El Cajon, ca. Fit perfect! Great price! Got prices in Florida last month and place in Florida wanted $500. Shadpro price was$100 including shipping!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning