Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

Bathroom Vent cover recommendations

I have a 2017 Salem 36bhbs, which a raccoon tried to turn into their new winter home. The varmint ripped off one of my sewer vent caps (now fixed) and spent a good deal of time trying to get into my bathroom vent. In the process he tore a small hole in the vinyl roof (picture attached), which I'm going to repair with Eternabond this weekend. This has me thinking that he might try again, so I'm looking at getting a vent cover. I'm seeing several brands available (Maxxair, Camco, Fan-Tastic) and I know very little about these, so does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a unit that wont break under duress or get brittle with time. Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	230799  
Johnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

My Maxxair II is 10 years old.....through Florida sun and Canadian winters and still does the job. Easy to clean with the no tools needed clips you get so you can clean underneath.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/products/covers

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

I'm being offered a "Travellers Choice" for a reasonable price, anyone heard of them?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
My Maxxair II is 10 years old.....through Florida sun and Canadian winters and still does the job. Easy to clean with the no tools needed clips you get so you can clean underneath.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/products/covers
X2

MAX AIR II-

Easily installed in 15 minutes. Takes longer to get the ladder out, get you and your drill and the MAX AIR on the roof than it does to install it.

Easily opened by pulling two pins to do inspections/repairs/cleaning of the vent.

Will prevent the cheap vent covers from deterioration in the sun.

Allows you to leave the vent open to allow air flow while traveling or sitting without worrying about rain.

Have had them on or put them on every camper I've had in the past 10 years and never an issue with a single one.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Is the Maxxair II a significant improvement over the original? I can get a Maxxair today for a fair bit less than the II, the II also has to be ordered.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Brake is on left

Another vote for MA2. We have three of them on top of our current rig and have used them on past trailers as well. Be warned, strong or driving rain can make its way past the angled openings and in the vent.
I believe the 2 is required for Fan-Tastic vent fans because of the mounting. If it is simply a roof vent with a fan in it you can use the regular MA cover.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Another vote for MA2. We have three of them on top of our current rig and have used them on past trailers as well. Be warned, strong or driving rain can make its way past the angled openings and in the vent.
I believe the 2 is required for Fan-Tastic vent fans because of the mounting. If it is simply a roof vent with a fan in it you can use the regular MA cover.
I have a standard, slightly-chewed, manual-open roof vent with fan. I'd be ok with going with the MA II if I could get one today for a decent price, but I'm still not sure the MA wouldn't be enough.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
I have a 2017 Salem 36bhbs, which a raccoon tried to turn into their new winter home. The varmint ripped off one of my sewer vent caps (now fixed) and spent a good deal of time trying to get into my bathroom vent. In the process he tore a small hole in the vinyl roof (picture attached), which I'm going to repair with Eternabond this weekend. This has me thinking that he might try again, so I'm looking at getting a vent cover. I'm seeing several brands available (Maxxair, Camco, Fan-Tastic) and I know very little about these, so does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a unit that wont break under duress or get brittle with time. Thoughts??
if the vent opens and closes with an automatic actuator the only vent cover that I feel comfortable with is the fantastic fan cover because they're vent cover has a recessed that conforms to the shape of the lid when it opens and does not obstruct the motor drive.

on my coach somebody decided to put Max air vent covers and then they were upset when they motor driving the fantastic fan burned out. It burned out because the motor kept hitting the vent cover.

they are indestructible material and when I order parts for fantastic the manufacturer whispered in my ear that there is a place called Marine and RV or boat and RV out of Ohio that does the best pricing on fantastic fan parts principally because they ship at no cost to you.

I've had good luck ordering parts from them.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

What brand of vent fan do you have? If you have a Fantastic brand then buy their brand. I tried Maxair II and it didn't fit right. If other brand then I recommend Maxair II. They are easier to install.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
Brake is on left

Ok.... my mistake.
I just looked to be sure. We are using the Fan Tastic cover on the Fan Tastic fan.

The Max Air I we use on the garage vent.

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
I'm being offered a "Travellers Choice" for a reasonable price, anyone heard of them?
Never heard of that brand but after looking it up it should do the job. Put one on each vent. Black vent covers may look nice on some rv's but will adsorb heat from the sun a lot more than white thereby making the vent area hotter. What you want is something more durable than the vent lid, easy to install and remove for cleaning, and above all UV resistant.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

We have a white Camco similar to the black MaxAir in one of the pics. It is 7 years old, lives in the baking S Louisiana sun all its life. It is still nice and pliable, not cracked and hard.

Coupled with the fact they are about 50% the cost I highly recommend them.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

Camco Aerodynamic Covers

I use these Camco covers that aren't as tall on my non-motorized vents, I like the fact they are low, they can flip open for cleanng, and allow the vent to open plenty, works well. Camco 40431.
HaulinMyHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #14

I have the Maxair II vent covers that are 7 years old. These are good looking and work well with manual vents. They have a large air area and are screened, keeping bugs at bay and can remain open during some hard rain. They are wider giving better caulk protection than others. They come with all stainless steel hardware and if vent flange mounted, requires no additional caulking.
With their lower profile, the vents can be opened only about 60% before the vent lid hits the cover. If you have auto motorized vents, you will probably need vent covers recommend by the vent manuf.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

I always loved the MaxxAir Turbo Maxx but sadly it has been discontinued for some time. It had a very quite 12″ diameter, 10-blade, 3-spd reversible fan that was outside in the exhaust part of the cover. They also came with a foam gasket to keep bugs and dirt from entering from the space between it and the roof.

If they were still available I would have one in the bedroom and living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbomaxx.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	231022   Click image for larger version

Name:	And-the-exterior.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	231023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxxair-fan-on-the-roof.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	231024  
Old 08-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #16

Smile Vent Fan Covers for Vengence 377V 2018

Does anyone know how to measure the vent cover for the bathroom vents, we have 2 bathrooms and both of the covers have turned to dust, they have holes and are falling apart in our hands. When I measure the outside of the cover it is 15" x 15" but I don't find any of those, when we measure from the inside it is 13 1/4" x 13 1/4", not sure how to tell which one we need...and of course it has now started to rain
IngridPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngridPatrick View Post
Does anyone know how to measure the vent cover for the bathroom vents, we have 2 bathrooms and both of the covers have turned to dust, they have holes and are falling apart in our hands. When I measure the outside of the cover it is 15" x 15" but I don't find any of those, when we measure from the inside it is 13 1/4" x 13 1/4", not sure how to tell which one we need...and of course it has now started to rain
All of them will fit a standard 14" x 14" vent. All vents have 15" x 15" flange on the roof and it's the hole cut into the roof that measures 14" square. Unless you custom ordered something different.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I always loved the MaxxAir Turbo Maxx but sadly it has been discontinued for some time. It had a very quite 12″ diameter, 10-blade, 3-spd reversible fan that was outside in the exhaust part of the cover. They also came with a foam gasket to keep bugs and dirt from entering from the space between it and the roof.

If they were still available I would have one in the bedroom and living room.
I replaced our NOISY factory fan with the screen that kept falling down with a Vortex fan. Original was a single speed.

The Vortex has three forward and two reverse speeds and is soooooo quite you hardly know it is running.

It is VERY easy to install and uses the original fan box so all the work is done inside the camper and no issues with sealing to the roof.

I also wired it up to a wall switch at the same time so DW does not have to stand on a step stool to turn it on and off, or to open and close the vent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Ceiling-...oAAOSwKBhfIwj0

PS, I actually got the muliti speed unit for the price of a single speed fan (about 1/2 the list price). They shipped the wrong one by mistake. I called the seller and he told me to just keep it. To be honest we usually have it set at medium and never change it.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I replaced our NOISY factory fan with the screen that kept falling down with a Vortex fan. Original was a single speed.

The Vortex has three forward and two reverse speeds and is soooooo quite you hardly know it is running.

It is VERY easy to install and uses the original fan box so all the work is done inside the camper and no issues with sealing to the roof.

I also wired it up to a wall switch at the same time so DW does not have to stand on a step stool to turn it on and off, or to open and close the vent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Ceiling-...oAAOSwKBhfIwj0

PS, I actually got the muliti speed unit for the price of a single speed fan (about 1/2 the list price). They shipped the wrong one by mistake. I called the seller and he told me to just keep it. To be honest we usually have it set at medium and never change it.
If you noticed in the pics I posted the fan is outside the roof opening facing down. You could have a heavy rain and it would never get inside the RV. The bathroom was next to the bedroom and when the fan was on high it would sound like having a 14 inch fan on low. When on low or medium we could never hear it running. BTW, the noisy factory fan was the reason I installed the Turbo Maxx. I threw out the factory fan.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you noticed in the pics I posted the fan is outside the roof opening facing down.
OF COURSE I NOTICED!! I was simply telling others what we did............

Don't feel put upon just because someone else has a solution not the same as yours.

Tags
bathroom, cover, roo, vent