Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Best color matched roof patch?

Hi!

On a 2015 Forest River Sierra this past weekend the passenger roof edge lost a fight with a tree branch along about a 4' to 5' section. The roof liner is beige/tan in color.

So far I've found the Eternabond line of adhesive patch tape that comes in a few colors (tan being about what I need) and varying width's and lengths.

I also found what seemed to be an nice product by Dicor called EPDM Rubber Roof Repair Membrane, but from what I can tell, does not come in colors other than white.

I'm leaning toward the Eternabond, but wondered if I'm missing another preferred method/product for repairing it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	544
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	239674  
PredatorVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #2

Go with the Eternabond. My BIL has a Grand Design with the same roof edge damage and the same color (tan). No repair will match the color exactly, but the tan Eternabond worked very well for his.
Looks like you might have to loosen the moulding on yours and put the Eternabond under it to ensure a good repair since the rips go all the way to the moulding.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the recommendation and tips! I wondered about the trim. I was hoping that butting it down to the trim side would be okay.

The most frustrating part is that we rented this trailer to try out in our search for our first 5th wheel so I may not be allowed/trusted by the owner to help with it. I may just have to kick myself all the way to the bank for not seeing the tree as I throw money at it. I'm still not even sure where the tree was. Oh well. Lesson learned.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #4

On my BIL's we butted the Eternabond up to the moulding and then sealed the edge with Dicor NON-leveling caulking. It might work for yours. But if it's rented (with the option to buy), I would definitely ask the owner first.
And trees happen to all of us
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification.

"It is a good idea to rent!", they said.
"It's cost effective!", they said.

It was only a weekend rental and I suspect that by the time I'm done I may very well could have covered nearly a year's worth of monthly payments on my own trailer. Live and learn I guess.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

I would look for help from your insurance company on the roof damage. The rental company may charge you for a new roof which could be very expansive. It maybe covered under your truck insurance policy.

Just saying this is what I would do!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I would look for help from your insurance company on the roof damage. The rental company may charge you for a new roof which could be very expansive. It maybe covered under your truck insurance policy.

Just saying this is what I would do!
I second this, usually anything connected to your truck would be covered.

If you owned it would would have to cover it. Since you were renting Im betting it will be covered.

Tags
roo, roof