Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Beware the Aging Roof Vent Lid

This year when I removed the cover from my 2007 Sunseeker, I found one of my four roof vent lids broken into pieces. Luckily the cover prevented rain water from trashing our bed. I had replaced one of the other lids on the road two years ago when it blew off. I now found that the other two older lids both had cracks and when I went to replace them they just broke when opened and crumbled in my hands. The lesson here is that these plastic lids all deteriorate (all long tern RV owners probably know this), and I was amazed at how they just disintegrated when opened or handled. After this, I highly recommend that all RV owners carry spares (of the correct replacement type) for incidental failures on the road, and also replace all lids after 10 years or when one fails like this.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Actually, when I replace mine once, I've never had to do it again. The aftermarket vent covers are much sturdier, at least the ones I bought from the local RV shop.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #3

I found UV resistant covers on e-trailer and installed them in 2010 on our 2007 Jayco. (original ones were brittle and cracking) In 2017 when we sold the trailer the covers were still pliable and no signs of cracking. No additional covers were ever put over them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
This year when I removed the cover from my 2007 Sunseeker, I found one of my four roof vent lids broken into pieces. Luckily the cover prevented rain water from trashing our bed. I had replaced one of the other lids on the road two years ago when it blew off. I now found that the other two older lids both had cracks and when I went to replace them they just broke when opened and crumbled in my hands. The lesson here is that these plastic lids all deteriorate (all long tern RV owners probably know this), and I was amazed at how they just disintegrated when opened or handled. After this, I highly recommend that all RV owners carry spares (of the correct replacement type) for incidental failures on the road, and also replace all lids after 10 years or when one fails like this.
An unfortunate example of trailer manufacturing quality; just enough to make a sale. Glad we have this forum to help others be aware.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #5

When it was time for me to replace my vent lid due to brittleness and cracking I replaced both covers, the caps on the vents and the cover over the fridge. Also found cracks on the AC cover. Touched up the dicor since I was up there.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

Replaced mine on a 2019 trailer with a metal one, no worries now
dwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #7

adding a cover like a max air would do alot to solve this problem. 1) less UV on the lid 2) even if it did break, you have protection from water intrustion
Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
An unfortunate example of trailer manufacturing quality; just enough to make a sale. Glad we have this forum to help others be aware.
Say what? The OP's roof vents lived 12 years. That's a hell of a good run for a roof vent. 2-3 years is pretty much the best I personally seen. As far as raggin on the manufacturer's level of quality... You do know they (FR) just buy those things complete as a unit it and install them? They don't actually 'make' them.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Friends of ours pulled their trailer out of storage to home to load for trip. While lying on the bed, commented how clean the skylight vent was. Soon realized it was gone. The wind on trip home blew pieces away. So lucky vent was still holding on while in uncovered storage!!
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Beware the Aging Roof Vent Lid

Good idea. Wish I had gotten it sooner. I had to replace the vent cover over the bed of my 2016 Forester 2401W a year ago and the vent cover over the bathroom vent last March. Both were broken by falling pine cones.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

Whats going on now is the manufactures have switched to Hengs china junk and they won't last one summer before they fall apart all to save a few pennies . wonder why we are in a trade war . People want the cheap prices but they also get the cheap junk that's a waste of money
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Any plastic constantly exposed to the sun, heat and other weather, for 13 years, would shows signs of deterioration. Not just for RV uses.
I agree that 13 years is exceptional length of service, for the lid cover. The ones on my 2007 HTT lasted only 5 years, in the California sun.
That's why most put the vent covers over the thinner plastic vent cover lids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Any plastic constantly exposed to the sun, heat and other weather, for 13 years, would shows signs of deterioration. Not just for RV uses.
I agree that 13 years is exceptional length of service, for the lid cover. The ones on my 2007 HTT lasted only 5 years, in the California sun.
That's why most put the vent covers over the thinner plastic vent cover lids.
These are designed to be in the sun and should last more then 1 yr or less . my old camper vent lasted 15 yrs before it needed replacement . the problem is the cheap china junk that doesn't last a season
Old 06-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
These are designed to be in the sun and should last more then 1 yr or less . my old camper vent lasted 15 yrs before it needed replacement . the problem is the cheap china junk that doesn't last a season
good luck with your search for the 100% Made In America camper.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
good luck with your search for the 100% Made In America camper.

Tim
Now i know i never said anything about a 100% made in america camper . not sure where you read that . i did make a comment about the low quality china junk vent covers that the manufactures namely FR has started to use . hengs vents don't last a season though you can get quality china products . but i guess FR has to save a few pennies and went the cheapest they could find .
Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #16

X2 on the MAX AIR covers
campdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #17

True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Say what? The OP's roof vents lived 12 years. That's a hell of a good run for a roof vent. 2-3 years is pretty much the best I personally seen. As far as raggin on the manufacturer's level of quality... You do know they (FR) just buy those things complete as a unit it and install them? They don't actually 'make' them.

Tim
True, but FR has a choice of sources. They could go to their supplier and say "If you don't provide UV resistant vent covers/marker lights/range hood vents/rain gutter extensions/outside lights, we will buy from your competitor.

There ARE UV-resistant white plastics. The outside cover for our Dometic refrigerator on the 2002 SOB is as white as the day it was made. Unfortunately it's the only piece of exterior plastic that isn't yellow and crazed.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #18

Not so

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's just not so. Our 2002 SOB is outside and uncovered 24/7. The exterior plastic door panel on the Dometic refrigerator is as white as the day it was manufactured. This is proof that there are some "resins" (plastic source material) that are UV-resistant.

Unfortunately, that's the only exterior plastic that hasn't yellowed and crazed.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #19
bloodybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
adding a cover like a max air would do alot to solve this problem. 1) less UV on the lid 2) even if it did break, you have protection from water intrustion

yes i own a last years model vengeance 2018
and after reading a similiar thread to this one i added the smoked looking max air covers automatically on my two air vents
i would agree this will dramatically add longer life to the oem air vent covers
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #20

Exclamation Roof vents

2018 311fs Leprechaun 8 months old went up to clean roof and surprise .
Replace with better covers. They just fell apart no hail or wind damage just crumble like dry leafs .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_160433808.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	207029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_160732877.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	207030  
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags