Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Black Underbody Fabric

Hey all 272RL had a blow out and the tire shreds took out some of that black fabric stuff that apparently protects the wood from getting wet. Mine has an enclosed underbelly and it’s not that corrugated plastic stuff. This stuff looks like tarp material. Anyone know what it’s called and where I might get some? Other thought is since it’s a small piece I was thinking about using flex seal tape to patch it up..

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

If you are talking about the wheel well area I covered mine with 26 ga sheet metal with that said if its a small area I would use metal foil tape to cover the damaged area, flex tape may work also I have just had good luck with the foil tape
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s not above the wheel well, it’s further back from the wheels and is the space outside the frame that runs the length of the camper that looks to be 12 inches wide or so.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

In that area I think either foil tape or flex tape should work (you notice I said foil tape first because I'm such a fan of that stuff for fixing tears and plugging holes) LOL
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
In that area I think either foil tape or flex tape should work (you notice I said foil tape first because I'm such a fan of that stuff for fixing tears and plugging holes) LOL
Thanks once again for your suggestions. I have both the foil and flex seal tape... Flex seal tape is black so matches the rest and it's wider then the foil tape so I think I might give that a shot.

Got to fix some plumbing on the outdoor kitchen sink that the tire took out too... We actually had 4 flats, each at different times on the same trip from NJ to Cape Cod.... Normally a 6 hours trip, it took us 36 hours and an overnight stop in the scariest Wallmart parking lot I've ever been in...

Live and learn... Replace tires every 5 years no matter how few miles you have on them or what the tread looks like. And, don't go by the year of your trailer, check the date code on the tires themselves. Point in case, our trailer is a 2018 and I thought we had at least another year or 2 but it turns out the date codes were early 2016.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #6

Fabric repair?

The same thing happened to me. I bought a used 2018 2503S a few months ago. The tread looked ok, but I didn't check the date code. Had a massive blowout on first trip. Tore off about 12" section of the fabric (and insulation). Did the flex seal tape stick to the fabric?

I replaced all 4 tires soon after.
Cfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfred View Post
The same thing happened to me. I bought a used 2018 2503S a few months ago. The tread looked ok, but I didn't check the date code. Had a massive blowout on first trip. Tore off about 12" section of the fabric (and insulation). Did the flex seal tape stick to the fabric?

I replaced all 4 tires soon after.
Yes it did, in fact it's very sticky.... It has a clear backing you have to peel off. I'd suggest if you're using long strips, not to peel off the entire length of backing since if the 2 glue sides stick together while trying to put it in place, it's almost impossible to get them apart. Ask me how I know Put the first part of the tape in place with a small amount of backing removed, remove the rest as you put the the tape in place.

Curious as to what brand of tires you had, mine were Castle Rocks and seems like they're one of the brands that tends to blow out a lot.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #8

Fabric Repair

Castle Rock with date code 3117. I think that makes them 4 years old when self-destructed. Not sure how many miles on them. I should have inspected closer.

Thanks for the info on the flex seal tape. I have to span a space about 12" wide and 18" long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B3E7AB7-13F5-4C20-90EB-F7C73E831BE9.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	263902  
Cfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #9

You’ll probably need 2 rolls to cover that
Curt Trutrack WDH