Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #1

Black Vinyl Insert Molding

We have a 2017 Rockwood Windjammer. We store it inside. It sat outside on the dealer lot for the first 5 months of its life. Now it comes out into the sun for about 6 weeks total per year.

The black vinyl screw cover inset along the roof rails is deteriorating. I might expect it if it was outside every day, but I was surprised since it rarely sees the sun.

Are there better quality insert trim moldings available? Is there a brand that outlasts the rest? I don't mind paying extra money, if it is a product that will last. The factory stuff must be terrible.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #2

i got mine off of ebay 100 ft roll "$9.00 or so. shop ebay you will find good deals and expensive deals. 7/8 years of life. sun , tree branches take there toll. get 100ft 1 time buy. extra is handy. get a plastic or metal window screen roller it puts edge in easily. dont stretch it put in un streached , dog ear ends , screw at ear, and and silicone on tip.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

It's an easy repair, I just did it on my 2017 Coachmen. The trim was held on at the top with a screw and just snaps in the channel. I bough a 50 foot roll of the trim at the dealer's part store and used most of it replacing all the trim on the camper. Yeah, the trim is about as cheap as it comes and deteriorates pretty fast even when out of the elements.
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

You want a rubber trim that goes inside and over the lip of the insert trim. AP products sells quality trim. The stuff the manufacturer uses is bad. That basic vinyl flat trim that just snaps in allows water to come in .
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #5

Funny, I ordered some and it arrived yesterday. 100 feet of RV designer heavy duty 1” vinyl trim insert. $21 from Amazon.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

yep thats where i got mine. window screen roller makes install a breeze. insert top ,squeeze ,roll along ."DO NOT STRETCH IT "
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, mold