Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

Bug Craters?

Anybody noticing the bug impacts on the decals on the front of the trailer taking the color off of the decals. Looks like rock chips, but that's not possible as its a Fifth Wheel, and I would certainly know if I was being peppered with gravel. Must be some durable bugs to create an impact crater. I try to keep the bugs cleaned off, and I wax the cap. Just wondering.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

You'd be surprised what those little buggers can do. I've had to pull over on my motorcycle because one hit my hand and I couldn't hardly hold on. That was through a glove. They hurt!!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

Can't imagine what it's like in Japanese beetle country. Must be a loud ride. I'm just surprised those "buggers" can damage the decals. I used to ride also, and I remember a number of hits on my face shield that sounded like gunshots. Never rode with just sunglasses. Those guys/gals must be bad dudes/dudettes.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
You'd be surprised what those little buggers can do. I've had to pull over on my motorcycle because one hit my hand and I couldn't hardly hold on. That was through a glove. They hurt!!
You haven't lived until you've been hit in the face shield by a bumble bee.

The worst part is how they enter your field of vision real small and get bigger and bigger before they hit. Almost like a cartoon except you then have to stop and clean the remains off the face shield.

Oh, the joys of riding a motorcycle among Nature's critters.

BTW, don't dismiss the possibility of rock damage on a 5th wheel just because rock's aren't also hitting the TV's windshield, They can be tossed high in the air by vehicles.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Nothing like riding your bike on I-10 in Florida during the lovebug matting season. 2 bugs for the price of one.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-OH View Post
Nothing like riding your bike on I-10 in Florida during the lovebug matting season. 2 bugs for the price of one.
This I know well also. We were on a group ride just east of San Antonio one time, and we saw a grayish "cloud" ahead of us. Before we saw the two motorcyclists in front of us, we entered the love bug cloud. The president of the group had just bought a brand new white Goldwing. His first ride with the group with it. Oh, what a mess. We made it into Gonzalez (Texas) finally and found the first gas station with a water hose. We had eight motorcycles and it took us a bit to clean the bikes and face shields and vests and knees and, well, you get the picture. It was ugly. Luckily we didn't hit a cloud like that the rest of the ride, but we still got pelted by plenty of them. We held off any long rides like that until after love bug season. Yikes!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote