Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #1

Bulge/Delamination Above Wildcat 344qb Slide Out

Hi Everyone, new add. Thank you. I have a 2013 Wildcat 344qb and I’m working on replacing slide seals. Job was overdue. I have found a small area of delamination above the slide out I’m currently working on (front room slide out). Obviously delamination has occurred, but I’m trying to determine if water intrusion was the cause, or perhaps something more ‘structural’ in nature may have created this. It does NOT extend all the way to the roof line. Also, there are no signs of issues in the roof line. I can get my finger behind the filon skin. The lauan feels solid and flat, with no obvious signs of water damage. No moisture present currently. When I press on the filon skin, like I may if I were going to attempt delam repair, I am unable to flatten it out. There seems to be too much material. The ‘bulge’ just seems to move over (to the side), and there is general resistance when you push on it. It is certainly "flexible", and there doesn’t seem to be anything behind it which would be pushing it outward.

After assessing it a few times, it really seems like some material would need removed in order for the filon to lay flat again, to enable proper installation/adhesion of the slide top wiper seal. Maybe I need to push on a larger surface area with a board or plywood sheet to better assess if it will flatten out? On another site, a 2012 Wildcat owner has noticed the same issue. Some have expressed concern that a structural flexing in the frame somewhere may be causing a pinch point, thus forcing the filon outward.

I am wondering if others have seen this issue around their slides. Happy to read your thoughts and suggestions. I can post more pictures as well if needed since the old seal is now off (the image is not turned this direction when viewed on my comuter). Sorry for the long description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulge.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	244037  
Dean1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Delimitation normally is caused by water intrusion from somewhere. If the delimitation it taking place due to stress on the wall and not water I would suspect the original lamination adhesive was not applied correctly durning the mfg process.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

That sure looks like water damage to me. Check the seam and gutter screws above it. I had the same delamination on my SOB and it was from the screws 2 to 3 feet above the damage.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, delamination, slide, slide out, wildcat